Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "WARANA" for sale on Gumtree. NZ built Bailey Ketch? Historic Australian Timber Ketch

Default Re: "WARANA" for sale on Gumtree. NZ built Bailey Ketch? Historic Australian Timber K

Mate .. the dude that wrote a book about the boat im trying to save... how cools that.
    Ive learned so much from the people that have reached out to me where I have put up info on her.
    The gofundme was never about monies... I closed the income @120 bucks which was just about enough to pay the fees and the rest of the admin costs etc .. but it did what I hoped for and I have now spoken to 3 different skippers and a few crewies.
    I was reading a bit more of Brians book last night, the one I found in the Warana ..its in about as good condition as the old girl herself.. and I was thinking to myself ..I wonder how many people have sat with their feet up on this boat reading this book ... gave me the warm fuzzys .... of course then reality set in and I looked at the quote to replace the stem... ouchies

Default Re: "WARANA" for sale on Gumtree. NZ built Bailey Ketch? Historic Australian Timber K

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    My boat was built at Brighton by Jack Gutierrez as well. Commissioned by Jock Sturrock.
    http://arhv.anmm.gov.au/people/12989
    Im reading your stuff with awe at the moment ..sorry its taken so long to get back to you .

Great vid Brian, it might be 'a bit old and scratchy' but it seemed more real than a lot of more polished efforts I've seen and conveyed the atmosphere well. I'm glad you resisted adding a music track.

Can't believe that Greenpeace have 'forgotten' Muraroa protests and the Rainbow Warrior. It was pretty significant diplomatically till NZ got cold feet and sent the perp's back to a heroes welcome in France.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Great vid Brian, it might be 'a bit old and scratchy' but it seemed more real than a lot of more polished efforts I've seen and conveyed the atmosphere well. I'm glad you resisted adding a music track.

Can't believe that Greenpeace have 'forgotten' Muraroa protests and the Rainbow Warrior. It was pretty significant diplomatically till NZ got cold feet and sent the perp's back to a heroes welcome in France.
    To be fair we sent them to a 6 month or year long holiday on one of the finest tropical island resorts first care of the French govt.
    That's what govtsof small countries do with the threat of trade sanctions and export economic ruin in a 70 million to 3 million population standoff.
    Still, the French govt and their bumbling secret service/miltary buffoons getting caught by neighborhood watch and some cops in walk shorts and Holden motor cars made them look pretty stupid. Less than competent. Good at a sneaky king hit in a pub filled with families having a party... couldn't get away though.

Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Dollar, how's the restoration going?

I sailed with Brian Crawford on Warana and gain a mention in his book as well as an appearance in his 1973 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race video in which I'm slightly mis-captioned as "Ravenswood" instead of "Ravenwood". As fate would have it, I have now lived in NW Tasmania since 1985. If you had been told in 1973/74 that I would spend more than half my life in Tasmania I would have laughed at you.

Warana gave me a decades long passion for wooden boats and for a long time I dreamed of owning one. I was in the fortunate position of being able to accumulate enough celery-top pine to build (or at least commission) one but age and reality set in a couple of years ago and I sold the timber to the Wooden Boat School in SE Tasmania and, dare I say on this forum, now own a Beneteau.

I have a story about another 1973 Sydney to Hobart crew member, Simon Firth: like all good stories, it starts off with someone (me!) walking into a bar (at a Hobart yacht club). I noticed this person sitting on a stool with a group of regulars and said to my wife that, if projected forward to now (i.e around 2017) the memory that I had of what Simon looked like in January 1974, the last time I had seen him, that guy over there, perched on a stool, would look like him. She encouraged me to ask him. "Are you Simon Firth?" "Who bloody wants to know?" he replied. Even after a 45 year gap I immediately knew it was him. We now catch up regularly, often in the same place we reconnected in. Of course, I've also reconnected with Brian Crawford through this new interest in Warana.

BTW, Simon Firth is adamant that Warana was built by Hickman in Hobart. And it's definitely a Huon pine boat. I've always had a memory from my 1973 time that I'd been told it was a Wilson build.
    I do recall an elderly man stopping at Warana in Constitution Dock post-race, and telling me (and maybe others onboard) that he had worked on her construction. He said building started just pre-WWII but completion was held up because the lead for the keel became unavailable until after the war, as it had been strategically reserved for war needs. He also said that some of the coach roof timbers, which he was pointing to, had come from the slipway of the decommissioned whaling station at Recherche Bay. How's that for provenance! He may have been the one who told me it was built by Wilsons - I'm afraid it's too far back for reliable recall.

I spent a lot of time on Warana and have great memories - I'd love to see her again.

Cheers, Ian Ravenwood

Quote Originally Posted by Dollar down View Post
    Mate .. the dude that wrote a book about the boat im trying to save... how cools that.
    Ive learned so much from the people that have reached out to me where I have put up info on her.
    The gofundme was never about monies... I closed the income @120 bucks which was just about enough to pay the fees and the rest of the admin costs etc .. but it did what I hoped for and I have now spoken to 3 different skippers and a few crewies.
    I was reading a bit more of Brians book last night, the one I found in the Warana ..its in about as good condition as the old girl herself.. and I was thinking to myself ..I wonder how many people have sat with their feet up on this boat reading this book ... gave me the warm fuzzys .... of course then reality set in and I looked at the quote to replace the stem... ouchies

I check this fascinating thread from time to time and see the odd post that keeps it going. I made contact with the member “Blewett” this morning, who posted pics of a half model of “Warana” that he made, as well as the original drawings for her, which confirm that she is indeed a “WD Bailey (Como NSW) Ketch” and therefore a Sister to my ketch “Setanta” (formerly”Christine”), as well as “Solace and Soliloque” and another possible one called “Horizon”, who I believe competed in the inaugural Sydney Hobart race. He kindly offered to loan me those drawings and I will make a similar half model.
    I’d just like to know as much as I can about these vessels, so if anyone can help keep the information coming, please do so. Not long ago,
    I had someone send me a picture of “Setanta” when she was named “Christine” from about 1952, when Doctor EA Joske was preparing to leave Port Adelaide and begin a what was to be, an ill fated, solo circumnavigation, which saw him lose his life in macabre circumstances.
    The other pic is relatively recent
    Best
    TerryO
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think that is the Dr. who was grabbed by a shark in the Fitzroy river at Rockhampton in Queensland.I first met Peter Warner when he was sailing a small yacht in the Bay of Islands (NZ) back in 1962. He had a couple of Tongan lads as crew, would that boat have been "Warana"