Thread: "WARANA" for sale on Gumtree. NZ built Bailey Ketch? Historic Australian Timber Ketch

Default "WARANA" for sale on Gumtree. NZ built Bailey Ketch? Historic Australian Timber Ketch

Hi All.
    This is a thread that will likely apply to the Aussie and Kiwi crew here on the forum.
    There is a 40' Timber boat for sale on Gumtree currently, it is called "WARANA" and it has some interesting history, in that it was a boat sailed into the Muroroa Attoll area in the early 70's as a "protest vessel", protesting against the French Nuclear tests that were being carried out at the time. There is a book that explains what went on with the boat, the cruise, the crew and the various adventures along the way. There is a book called "WARANA : The Story of an Australian Protest Yacht" that is still available. Here is a précis of what that book contains

"In 1973, Brian Crawford was a 25-year-old hippie out to see the world and have adventures. After nearly two years on a schooner in North Atlantic gales, he was looking for warmer water. He went to the Kingdom of Tonga, where his brother was training Peace Corps volunteers. Although he loved the people and country of Tonga, his tourist visa expired and he had to leave. With no money, his options were few. Then he found a yacht that would take him on as navigator – Warana, the Australian nuclear protest vessel, bound for Mururoa atoll in French Polynesia, to try to prevent the French from testing more nuclear weapons there. He joined a disillusioned and discontented crew of misfits, all of whom soon gave up and returned home. With the skipper Peter Sturgess and a crew of American hippies rounded up from waterfront bars, they began the voyage back to Australia. Visiting Fiji, New Hebrides (now Vanuatu), New Caledonia, Brisbane, Sydney, they eventually returned home to Melbourne, only to set out on the grueling 650-mile Sydney-Hobart open ocean race."

After talking to Bryce, the fellow who listed her for sale, I understand that she has been taking up room in a warehouse that is part of his factory, that it has been there 5 years or so and that the rent hasn't been paid for some time. So he is looking to clear her out of there and get back some of the unpaid rent. Apparently the most interested parties so far are people with big chainsaws at the ready! 🤕😳
    What I am interested in is, whether anyone here knows this boat, who might be able to tell me more about her previous history, and what she had been up to after that 70's era.
    I have what I believe to be one of her "Sisters", a 1949 "Bailey" Ketch called "Setanta" (previously called "Christine"). I was under the impression that there were only 3 of these guys, mine as well as "Solace" and "Soliloque", both of whom are in good hands and being kept in good shape. This one under discussion which looks almost identical to mine sheer, freeboard, bow and stern shape wise, is built of NZ Kauri, unlike the Aussie, "Searles" built trio, which are Jarrah and Oregon Hulls. Bailey himself was also a Kiwi and drew the original plans for a boat called "Veleda" and this leads me to believe that"Warana" was also built there.
    Trove has several newspaper clippings online that fells of Sydney Hobart races and others, but I am interested in knowing a lot more about her, so if you know anything please let me know eh?
    Thanks
    Terry

Default Re: "WARANA" for sale on Gumtree. NZ built Bailey Ketch? Historic Australian Timber K

Charles Bailey and Charles Bailey jnr are famous boatbuilders here in the period say late 1800's to about 1940 or so, I suspect yours might be a different Bailey?
    You could try our CYANZ forum , not wonderfully active any more but you never know.
    http://classicyacht.org.nz/forum/index.php
    or Waitemata woodies ( although I don't know how to work that one myself. )
    https://waitematawoodys.com/

Default Re: "WARANA" for sale on Gumtree. NZ built Bailey Ketch? Historic Australian Timber K

So it doesn't need any more nav lights, right?
    Xanthorrea

Thanks for the reply. "Solace" the oldest of the Searles Boatyard trio, was built in 1934, she was based on the drawings of a boat called "Veleda, which were off the pen of Charles Bailey Jr. So it is definitely that "Bailey".

I mention this because there may be surviving family members who can help with all of this....After looking around online, it appears that there was another sister to "WARANA", called "HORIZON" (owned and skippered by a Mr JR Bartlett as well as a Mr Sverre Berg) who as it seems was one of the boats in the first Sydney - Hobart race in 1945. It appears that "WARANA" was owned Peter R Warner and skippered by his politician father Mr. A. G. Warner, L.C.P, the leader in the Victorian Legislative council). So both of these vessels were Sydney Hobart competitors and in fact both listed as competitors in the 1953 race.
    Last edited by TerryOz; 07-11-2018 at 04:23 PM.

I would definitely get in touch with the Classic Yacht Assoc. www.classicyacht.org.nz and post on their forum. Harold Kidd or someone with similar encyclopedic knowledge of NZ boats, and our legendary designers and builders messrs Logan and Bailey.
    Aloof..

Okay! By way of an update, here is something that may open up some discussion and perhaps set the story a little more “straight”. I have had the pleasure of discussing the content of my post with Mr Harold Kidd, who should need no introduction here, but in case you don’t know of him, he is a highly respected authority on NZ Maritime History. His first reaction to all of this was that he was “staggered at the attribution of these yachts to Chas. Bailey Jr. He died in 1952 but hadn’t designed anything of significance since 1946.
    Your boat is quite unlike anything else he designed.
    How did his name get associated with her?”

Which caused me to investigate my side of this further. Turns out that the person who designed these was a “W.D Bailey, of Como New South Wales, Australia. Which I passed onto Harold, who responded with

” The W.D. Bailey could just be a grandson of Chas Bailey Jr. A son, Gladwyn Bailey, went to Sydney about 1925 and started in business there.
    There was some scandal and I think he went broke.
    But the Bailey is a common name!
    I’ll follow up the link though. The Baileys were prolific.”

I write this, as it may help someone who knows more about these Ketches become involved in this discussion. I would really like to know as much as possible on this subject.

Harold Kidd and Robin Elliot have put vast amounts of time and passion into our classic boating heritage, manifested in many magazine articles over a number of years and a few really nice books as well.

You could send a letter and photos to Afloat magazine, a NSW-based publication freely available, monthly, at every boating-related outlet across NSW. It's very likely that some readers will know the boats.

Rick

This is the book written about Warana. I have a boat called Warana 2 built in Brighton by Jack Gutierez. I don't know of any connection other than
    the French protest Warana sailed from Port Phillip. I hope someone takes her on.
    Last edited by Hallam; 08-06-2018 at 04:57 AM.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Hi “Hallam”. I have bought that book and will have a read over my Xmas break, likely or hopefully onboard “SETANTA”.
    Interestingly, just this morning I made contact with a fellow (crew member) who is mentioned in that book. So I am hoping to see some info come my way regards my initial post.
    Just a reminder! If anyone knows anything about “HORIZON” from back in the day, or currently, I’d love to hear about it. All I know is that she is another sister to my boat, that she was part of the first Sydney Hobart race fleet and that she competed in about 6 races.
    Thanks
    TerryO