Thread: Laos and Cambodia prepare for a bit of biff

Default Laos and Cambodia prepare for a bit of biff

Tensions have been high since Laos started working on a dam on the Mekong just a couple of km from the border. I'm not sure if it's just that... but the Laos army has been advised to prepare for battle

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Default Re: Laos and Cambodia prepare for a bit of biff

Conflicts over water are set to become quite serious, especially if neighbouring countries cannot/will not cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Conflicts over water are set to become quite serious, especially if neighbouring countries cannot/will not cooperate.
    That's the silliest dam project I've seen. I put up this youtube video of it a couple of years ago, and it was picked up by an environmental website (they didn't bother asking me).

The channel they blocked off used to take 70% of the fish migrating up the Mekong to breed.

I mis-named it in the video. It's the Don Sahom Hydro Dam
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I heard about this proposal last year. I think also there is some disquiet about a dam because of the silt load. The Aswan is having that problem.

The Yellow River Valley in China is one long chain of silted hydro dams built under Mao. I have heard there were 43 of them.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT