Thread: Track days - Who does them?

Default Track days - Who does them?

BMW Track day at the Zwarkops race track this past Sunday. My 2007 Suzuki does not have the zip to keep up with the RR1000 BMWs on the straightaways, but held its own on the twisty bits amongst the Group B riders if you use the torque of the V Twin properly.

SV 1000.jpg

Rider briefing. I am holding the white helmet.

Rider Briefing.jpg

Group B race (there are A, B and C, depending on how Kamikaze you are). I am furthest left. In the foreground is the 2018 RR1000 BMW.

Group B.jpg

Here I bummed a run on a RR1000 which belongs to BMW SA, it is an amazing machine. Full ABS and traction control, quick shift (no need for the clutch going up the box), and four pre-select rider settings. On ďTrackĒ it is a wild thing, and will carry the front wheel at the twist of the throttle. The technology on my ten-year old Suzuki is incomparable, it has no ABS, traction control or any other driver assist electronics.
    I only rode the BM in Group C (slower and novice riders) where there is somewhat of a motley crew and even some pillion riders. Thing is, there is a $1,000 excess on the insurance if you drop the BM. I didnít want to go there

Group C.jpg

All in all a great day.

Default Re: Track days - Who does them?

That looks like great fun. I've done half a dozen, or more, track days with my old BMW M5... but never on the bikes.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

There's a nice little track just up the road from me. I used to get out there regularly, but haven't done a track day in a while. Maybe this year...

Not in years, but it certainly looks like a fun day shaping up.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Track days, with the general public, are something I actively avoid. If I'm there acting as a brand ambassador, I prefer a non driving role. Track time for work, is just that, work. I'm there with an intended goal in mind.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Been lucky enough to ride motorbikes (including flat track and speedway) and drive a sprint car, a formula vee car, a baja prerunner, and two shifter karts on tracks.

Never in public setting, and never in any sanctioned events.

I often Forrest Gump my way into things, and hand-eye and tire adhesion limits were my bread and butter for years, so cats tend to trust me with toys such as those.

Thanks for sharing!

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. Iíve also ridden a push bike and mountain bike on Laguna Seca...

I've never done them on a bike, they didnt have track days back when I was riding.
    I've done quite a few in cars, in an Audi Quattro, and most recently a Mitsubishi Evo X.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Track days, with the general public, are something I actively avoid. If I'm there acting as a brand ambassador, I prefer a non driving role. Track time for work, is just that, work. I'm there with an intended goal in mind.
    Yep, just like I approach my real day job This is just for fun, and a lot safer than going fast on a public road. At least everyone goes in the same direction, the surface is predictable, there are martials and ambulances and paramedics and even an airlift on hand.

^ Martials eh? Do they beat the carp out of you with sjamboks if you get it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    ^ Martials eh? Do they beat the carp out of you with sjamboks if you get it wrong?
    Strictly according to marshal lore!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Congratulations, that is super smart spotting. For a while there I was feeling as inept at writing English as I am at biking

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    There’s been some days that you’ve come home with more enthusiasm for your day at work at the track.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.