Thread: For Vince: Spectra-cle Strop

Default For Vince: Spectra-cle Strop

51569245-8382-46B8-A743-F0B01D04EF55.jpg
    For “Daughter’s” third base. She wears glasses, and saw the one I made for Coach. It’s some spectra I had around that I made into an eyeglass leash.

This needs a seizing clapped on just below the throat, yet, and a few o-rings over the end to cinch down on the arms.

Anyway.

Peace,
    Robert

Default Re: For Vince: Spectra-cle Strop

Very nice Rob (I know. I'm not Vince ) but thought I would comment anyhow. That's a skill I wish I had, but will probably never get around to acquiring.
    It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

Nice work. But Spectra is pretty strong isn't it? Those straps for ID tags people wear around their neck have a plastic failure point built in for a reason.

I just use some nylon twine and rolling hitches. I like simple...
    That does look nice,though Rob. Probably more acceptable to fashionable young women, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Very nice Rob (I know. I'm not Vince ) but thought I would comment anyhow. That's a skill I wish I had, but will probably never get around to acquiring.
    This single braid is cake. Especially with simple eyes and little fids and wands.
    784F9D2A-5F39-40D8-91A1-E18AF7A5D43C.jpg

Peace,
    Robert

ETA picture. Duh...

Won't need any seizings with those nice, deep throated splices... A deeper eye and an "O: ring will do the trick for holding onto the temple piece.

Phil, good thought, but the ear band on the eye piece will come out of the spliced eye long before any real danger to the wearer... you might get an abrasion as the eyeglass holder toghtens, but the failure point will always be one or the other side of the eyeglass itself. Quite correct, almost any "around the neck like a noose" badge/whistle/woddevvah lanyard should have a fail-safe point to prevent terminal insurance claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Won't need any seizings with those nice, deep throated splices... A deeper eye and an "O: ring will do the trick for holding onto the temple piece.

Phil, good thought, but the ear band on the eye piece will come out of the spliced eye long before any real danger to the wearer... you might get an abrasion as the eyeglass holder toghtens, but the failure point will always be one or the other side of the eyeglass itself. Quite correct, almost any "around the neck like a noose" badge/whistle/woddevvah lanyard should have a fail-safe point to prevent terminal insurance claims.

The seizing will be purely decorative, to add some spice to the drab cord. The o-ring sliders are the magic bit, don’t I know. I made one for coach and it was a hit. His seizings were black.
    These will be red.

I need to do a lanyard like that for my weedwhacker. That is the real fun stuff.

Peace,
    Robert

A really tight turk's head will make a nice seizing.

And Vince, where is the "breakaway" bit in the whistle lanyard you posted? That is a really nice piece.

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    A really tight turk's head will make a nice seizing.

And Vince, where is the "breakaway" bit in the whistle lanyard you posted? That is a really nice piece.
    The “eye” in the fid is for “sewing” turkshead knots.

Peace,
    Robert

Perfect! I usually just tie them by hand, and tighten with an old ice pick. Works down to 1/16" dia. twine or less. It is my eyes that are giving me the hardest time with this work now, not my dexterity.

frangible link

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    Perfect! I usually just tie them by hand, and tighten with an old ice pick. Works down to 1/16" dia. twine or less. It is my eyes that are giving me the hardest time with this work now, not my dexterity.
    Ice pick twins!

Peace,
    Robert

F0577994-7260-47F0-89B0-2D31BB19EEF2.jpg
    I ended up with a pair of double constrictor knots, alternated, on each end, just to keep the eye tight when it loses strain. This spectra is slickery! Also, this is a simple eye, because it’s an eyeglass lanyard. I’d use a Brummell splice for an eye set to see real strain, and it wouldn’t slip like a simple eye.

687316C7-C3D4-4FDA-993E-7E7849D03285.jpg
    I finished it off with that well known and loved maritime tradition. Fabric puff paint. The puff paint was merely to build a little “knob” that blends in, prevents the o rings from sliding down, and provides a little softness and decoration to the seizing.

Decorative turksheads were vetoed. I tried. She wanted it so be monochromatic and plain as possible, so done and done.

Peace,
    Robert

Nice work. I've recently become quite in favor of having headgear strapped to my head instead of just held there on faith and habit.

Here's my current small-stuff rigging dilemma. Neither the eye on the car fob nor the ring on the key-keeper can open to accept the other, and I rather like not-jingling nature of this thing so adding a split ring is least favored solution.
    The ziptie works but it bugs me.
    I may just do a waxed-twine lashing, but since you guys are so good at this stuff... any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Nice work. I've recently become quite in favor of having headgear strapped to my head instead of just held there on faith and habit.

Here's my current small-stuff rigging dilemma. Neither the eye on the car fob nor the ring on the key-keeper can open to accept the other, and I rather like not-jingling nature of this thing so adding a split ring is least favored solution.
    The ziptie works but it bugs me.
    I may just do a waxed-twine lashing, but since you guys are so good at this stuff... any ideas?
    You could use a soft shackle. Simple to make in single braid, and tons of tutorials. Make a wee one from small stuff.

Peace,
    Robert

Weird idea.
    Take a piece of nylon twine. Make a loop, and secure with a tight double constrictor. From there, lay up the 2 strands to form a 2 strand twisted rope. Loop it around, and make an eye splice. Continue tucking the strands of the splice back to the constrictor. Add another double constrictor overall, and cover constrictors with a tight turk's head. Cut off taggy ends to make it pretty.

So there will be:
    Single strand loop
    Turk's head
    4 strand square sinnet (formed by splicing the 2 strand eye)
    2 strand loop.

Make it maybe 4 inches overall. Secure to the key and key fob with lark's heads.