Thread: Proctor osprey

Default Proctor osprey

Anyone know about amateur access to plans for an Osprey (the stretched Wayfarer)?

I have done some google reading and it is alluded that it might be possible...but then dead ends.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Default Re: Proctor osprey

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    Anyone know about amateur access to plans for an Osprey (the stretched Wayfarer)?

I have done some google reading and it is alluded that it might be possible...but then dead ends.
    I won't call an Osprey a stretched Wayfarer. The Osprey is a big, fast sailing dinghy with a single trapeze and a symmetric spinnaker. From http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5422
    The Osprey was designed for the 1952 Olympic 2 man dinghy selection Trials. Though the FLYING DUTCHMAN was selected, the significantly smaller OSPREY proved faster in the first round.

Nick

I would be astonished if you could get hold of a set of plans now.The current builder funded a new set of moulds for the boat on the basis that the company was assigned the rights to the design.They are sturdy boats and able to cope with challenging conditions,I crewed one several times in the eighties and it was a very wet boat for the crew.A feeling that was reinforced when I talked to a multiple National champion who said he usually had very red eyes for three days after a breezy event at sea.

In the way that a Fulmar has roots in the Wayfarer concept, are there any derivative boats of the Osprey? Bad part about this is I have my mitts on a wooden Wayfarer for little more than the trailer. My usual method is to dither between too many excellent choices until they all disappear.

Why are you attracted to the Osprey, it is a serious race boat with good sea keeping qualities for its type.

Becauase "it is a serious race boat with good sea keeping qualities for its type".

Have you already tried the class association and the Royal Yachting Association (RYA)?

Sounds like you know what you want, I would contact the CA

http://www.ospreysailing.org.uk/cms2/index.php/boat/how-to-get-one

Thanks, will send an email. In the meantime, my wooden Wayfarer is slipping away...durn it.

I concur that plans do not look available.

Quote Originally Posted by NickW View Post
    I won't call an Osprey a stretched Wayfarer. The Osprey is a big, fast sailing dinghy with a single trapeze and a symmetric spinnaker. From http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5422
    The Osprey was designed for the 1952 Olympic 2 man dinghy selection Trials. Though the FLYING DUTCHMAN was selected, the significantly smaller OSPREY proved faster in the first round.

Nick
    Pedant alert.....

Although the Osprey claimed to be faster than the FD in the trials, contemporary accounts including race results show that the Osprey never came close to proving itself faster than the FD. The only time the Osprey beat the FD was in race 4 of the first set of trials, when the FD was sailed by someone who was not her normal crew. The FD won seven of the 14 races. The Osprey also had the advantage of using a trapeze for the last three races in the first set of trials but she still only ended up 5th fastest. At the time, the FD didn't have a trapeze or the big genoa.

A few years ago I pointed this out to the Osprey association, and they altered their website to remove the claim that the Osprey was faster.
    Has BigFella and SkyBlue on ignore.

Thanks, will send an email. In the meantime, my wooden Wayfarer is slipping away...durn it.
    Best not to let that happen,because the deal with Wayfarer plans is just the same since the same builder now has the rights in order to protect his investment in new tooling.