Thread: L Francis Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Default L Francis Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Has anyone on the Forum built LFH's BB14? If so, please respond as I am interested in this build.

Default Re: L Francis Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

It is an appealing design that is based on the 12 1/2. I like it very much as it is also the fore runner of the H28 a boat that we own.
    All Herreshoff boats are simple to build if you follow LFH's notes. I would prefer cedar, or cypress carvel planking rather than strip or epoxy multi diagonal layup as it is less sticky and more pleasant to accomplish. Stick close to Skippers materials and scantlings and you will have a fine boat to enjoy for many years to come!
    Please keep us posted on your progress,
    Jay

When I was about 14 My Dad had a BB14 cold molded as a trailer boat. It lived on a mooring over summer and during the winter it came home and we did some winter trailer boat racing. It was built with a small cuddy cabin with 2 bunks and then a boom tent over the cockpit.

After this Dad brought an H28 variant which turned out to be a little disapointing after the BB14.
    Reaching and running the H28 was great downhill but upwind it was slow. In the light it was under canvased and when the wind got up the ballast ratio was too low and at 3'6" draft it was too shallow to make the most of it.
    Zane

The trick of sailing the H28 up wind is to not pinch the boat too high. If you fall off a little the boat will maintain a higher rate of speed and the hull form will then lift her to weather. I have to admit that the main is too short on the luff. In order to produce better performance in light airs, I am building a new main mast that adds four feet to the hight of the main. This means and extra set of reef points. But I think the added performance will justify the change. Remember that the H28 was designed as a simple cruiser for one or two persons to handle.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 07-10-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Jae, that's much the same as Dad did to his H28. added 4' to the main mast and a bowsprit for an outer jib. made a world of difference. First reef was no longer up at 18 knts plus.
    well that and dumping 200 + kg of 3 pony powered diesel and an off center 2 bladed folding prop.
    went using the dinghy tied along side with the seagull. That big 5 bladed Prop sure shifts some water.
    Zane.

The BB 14 was a second year project for many graduates of 'The Boat School' (officially the Washington County Vocational Technical School) in eastern Maine that turned out a number of graduates before folding some years ago. Antonio Dias and Greg Rossel were among them and may have more info for you:

https://antoniodiasdesign.wordpress.com/

https://www.thewoodenboatschool.com/boatbuilding/
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.