Thread: Pram Designs

Default Pram Designs

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions for a set of pram plans. Something that is 7 feet or less LOA and can be built in traditional lapstrake. It doesn't need to sail just act as a tender.

Anyone know of such a beastie?
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Default Re: Pram Designs

I just finished up this 6'-8" Feather Pram from Iain Oughtred. I've been out rowing a bit, she feels very very small but stable. Not got around to building the leeboards or rudder yet so I can't comment on how she sails.

I built mine in glued lap but the plans include traditional lap instructions too.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Atkin & Co, have a nice selection o trad wee prams. Paul Gartside has some nice ones, but i think all bigger than 7ft, his Spitfire pram being my all time favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Atkin & Co, have a nice selection o trad wee prams. Paul Gartside has some nice ones, but i think all bigger than 7ft, his Spitfire pram being my all time favourite.
    Ian built a half size Trug, see this thread http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ight=Trug+pram The full size one is 7 ft 9 in by approx 4 ft beam. Not a bad way to use up 2 sheets of 6mm ply.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

I just finished up this 6'-8" Feather Pram from Iain Oughtred. I've been out rowing a bit, she feels very very small but stable. Not got around to building the leeboards or rudder yet so I can't comment on how she sails.

I built mine in glued lap but the plans include traditional lap instructions too.
    That looks good Steve! And right in the size I’m looking for too.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I’d forgotten about the Atkins, thanks Ian.
    -Jim

I really like the Oughtred HumbleBee Pram I built but it is 78. As is his Mouse Pram.

http://www.oughtredboats.com/

Al Mason has a 7 Pram design called Pootsie that I almost built.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...e-Perfect-Pram
    Last edited by StevenBauer; 07-09-2018 at 08:14 PM.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I just finished up this 6'-8" Feather Pram from Iain Oughtred.
    That is *really* pretty, Steve.

Alex

Are we talking "proper" lapstrake or glued? When you said traditional, i assumed copper nails or rivets. A glued lap trug pram would be very light, but perhaps not as glamarous as a trad Herroshoff or Atkin pram with a clear finish. With the clear timber you seem to have on hand, probably a better bet than plywood and epoxy. Winter project or knock out quick, a trug could be easily be glued up over a weekend.

I’ve got a short term solution in mind already. This is more of a winter project. I’ve still got a nice stack of yellow cedar and lots of rivets. So I want to build a traditional riveted and clench nailed tender for Amazon. Mostly I plan on towing it but I should be able to get it into the cockpit or up on the roof when needed or just when Amazon is tied up in its slip. Hence the length restriction.
    -Jim

Jim, how many in it at one time...two adults and two kids?
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 07-10-2018 at 10:40 AM.

My thinking is no more than three at a time, with two of them being adults. This gets everyone to shore and supervised on the beach in two trips.
    -Jim

I am currently building Iain Outghtred's feather pram 6'8" out of 5mm occoume ply (can be built traditional, the plans detail both methods). Supposed to weigh about 40 lbs when completed. The plans are excellent, and the boat looks sweet with the seven planks per side. Joel White's Nutshell is also very nice but doesn't look as good with the reduced number of planks, but will take less time to complete. Outghtred also has two like the Nutshells. Both White's and Oughtred's plans are excellent.
    The wife says I can have a mistress as long as she has ribs made of white oak.

How about Atkins "Katydidn't" He specifies strip planking but the only one I have seen was lapstrake.......rowed quite nicely. http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Dinks/PeteyDinkCm.html
    Al Masons pootzy is a terrific tiny boat, tows well, stable, good load carrier. It is V bottom plywood. I suppose you could do several lap planks up the side.

Hmmmmm, ............ Well that didn't take long, did it Jim.

Not even a week in the water and you are looking to get on with building another boat.

I have found the "seahopper" dinghy to be nice. It literally folds flat in about 2 minutes and can easily be picked up and dropped over the transom . --- I was lucky enough to be given one. Not as traditional or pretty as what you are looking for, but it 'goes away' when you don't want it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nedL; 07-10-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Can't be on the boat all the time Ned.

I've been thinking about building a tender since the very first stack of yellow cedar showed up, if there was any left over mind you. But I have this other project that kept getting in the way.

In the meantime, I've decided to shorten my 12 foot skin on frame row boat to meet the immediate need.
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Hmmmmm, ............ Well that didn't take long, did it Jim.

Not even a week in the water and you are looking to get on with building another boat.

I have found the "seahopper" dinghy to be nice. It literally folds flat in about 2 minutes and can easily be picked up and dropped over the transom . --- I was lucky enough to be given one. Not as traditional or pretty as what you are looking for, but it 'goes away' when you don't want it.
    Ooh, a folder. Lots to be said for a folding dinghy.

I'd say go with the Gartside 7ft'er then #80. He's personally built a few of them and the plans will be perfect. He'll know how it goes with 3 in it too.

He did publish the 8 and 9 ft versions in Watercraft if you wanted a bigger one. Personally I like them at 9ft especially for 3. Freeboard's going to be low with a 7fter...carefull flat water use only.

It would pay to use a drawn for traditional lapstrake design. For instance the thickness of the forward bow transom is thicker (than the aft transom) to accommodate the bury of the bronze nail coming in at an angle on the forward plank land, that wouldn't be needed with a glued design. I think Paul talked about this in the description of the 8/9ft'ers.

Ooh, a folder. Lots to be said for a folding dinghy.
    I love mine: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...g-Dinghy-Build I'm in the process of building her a sailing rig; I sewed the sail yesterday, and there's a fresh coat of varnish curing on the spars at this moment.

The same guy has plans for several other folding designs, too: http://www.woodenwidget.com/index.html

That said, if you've got the room to bring it aboard --and the stack of lumber and rivets already paid for and ready to go-- a hard dinghy makes a lot of sense.

Alex

TZ
    "One can say with certainty that he is not with us at present. It is worth adding, however, that he himself did not always understand what time ought to be considered the present." - Laurus, Eugene Vodolazkin.