Thread: Depth Sounder Suggestions

Default Depth Sounder Suggestions

I am looking for a new depth sounder. Want to have two displays for upper and lower helm. Nothing too fancy. Shoot through hull preferred (plastic boat) Any suggestions?
    I spent last Friday looking at various marine store in Seattle. Was quite disappointed in the lack of knowledge and lack of stuff to look at. Seems that most are bought on-line so store aren't too interested in carrying product.
    Plenty of sonar/fishfinder/multi display units with tons of buttons that I don't need.

Default Re: Depth Sounder Suggestions

I like the Si-Tex SDD-110. Have one. Works fine. Big easy to read display ( its about 4" x 4") I use the supplied though-hull transducer as a " shoot through" in my 'glass boat.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Want to have two displays for upper and lower helm.
    I did not see this at first.

You should be able to get a splitter or A/ B box that allows use of two displays (not at same time) with one transducer if you have old, analog equipment:

Such as : https://www.imarineusa.com/Airmar33-646-01.aspx

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 2.27.55 PM.jpg

If purchasing newer, networkable equipment ( NMEA 2000 )you can certainly run two sounders off one ducer.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

How did you mount the transducer? I have one currently mounted in an angled PVC pipe 5200'd to the hull.

Same way.The PVC is capped and fllled with baby oil. The ducer hangs by its stem in a hole drilled through the cap.

My boat has deep deadrise and if I glued the ducer directly, the signal would be directed 24 degrees to one side.

K

If you don't mind NMEA 0183, I'd recommend Furuno RD-30 units.

If you get 2 you can use 1 above, 1 below, and they will also display other info such as GPS, Navtex etc, all on one screen. Small, reliable.

No fish finder etc, just depth.

The RD-30 is top, GPS bottom left, Navtex bottom right.

IMG_1751.jpg

I'd second Martin's recommendation.

I have not had much luck with the baby oil and PVC pipe system; indeed I have just demolished such a set up on Sunbeam (Ohlson 38) - the original owner had already given up on it and bored through and fitted a through hull transducer.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I'd second Martin's recommendation.

I have not had much luck with the baby oil and PVC pipe system; indeed I have just demolished such a set up on Sunbeam (Ohlson 38) - the original owner had already given up on it and bored through and fitted a through hull transducer.
    Who's Martin?

Moi.

Hi.

The key thing with these shoot-through installations, ACB, is to try an install location before committing. With a partner holding the 'ducer in a plastic bag filled with oil or water, and pressing same against the inside of the hull, one can check whether it will work or not. If one lacks a galley slave to impress into service, than one can use grease or petroleum jelly or ( I heard here on the WBF recently) hair gel, to temporarily stick the 'ducer in place and see if it works at the intended location.

I'd add that testing while the boat is underway is so much the better.

Kevin