Thread: Back-Country Experience

Default Back-Country Experience

A secluded, sheltered cove:

Rocky, wind-swept point with high snow-capped mountains in the distance:

Where am I? Some exotic spot far up the BC coast, halfway to Alaska? It might seem so.
    But then the busy shipping traffic

And volcanic Mt Baker, ever present, gives the game away

Sometimes you donít have to go far to find a back-country experience. Discovery Island, where these pictures were taken, lies less than 3 miles from the edge of Victoria, BC, a city of nearly 330,000 people. Yesterday, on a sunny summer Sunday, there was surprisingly little small boat traffic to the cove on the south side and its campground there. I was rewarded with gentle winds, Great Blue Herons hunting, Bald Eagles soaring overhead, Ravens and Crows disputing territory, Tree Swallows patrolling the beach keeping the bug population in check and Harbour Seals basking on the rocks in the sun. An hour and a half of rowing on the way back before enough sailing breeze came up again provided a healthy dose of exercise for the day.

I donít think Iíll tell anybody about this in case it gets too crowded.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Default Re: Back-Country Experience

Did you see any sign? Scat? Tracks? Howling?

https://www.earthtouchnews.com/in-th...he-salish-sea/

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Did you see any sign? Scat? Tracks? Howling?

No. I kept an eye out for the local wolf, all the way around the island, but he didn't show yesterday. Lying low in the shade I expect. The sun was hot.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Best time to look for coastal wolves is at low tide. They come out of the understory and turn over rocks looking for those little beach crabs.

Nikon Summer 2017 088.jpgNikon Summer 2017 205.jpg

Pups laying in the shade...

Nikon Summer 2017 624.jpg

And having a wee howl in the shade...

Nikon Summer 2017 431.jpg

Beautiful, and so close to the madding crowds.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Gotta love those islands! And only about an hour from RVYC

Great pictures, Gib!

I had a coastal wolf encounter many years ago while kayaking Clayoquot Sound on the west coast of Vancouver Island. I landed in Whitesands Cove at the south end of Flores Island. I quit early in the day as the onshore afternoon wind is strong as I come around out of Millar Channel and it is bringing fog with it. The fog has cleared off by evening and it is still clear at two in the morning when I get up to pee, but the fog is back, thicker than ever in the morning, so thick I canít see the watersí edge from my campsite.

I have just fetched the food bag and have everything spread out on the log ready for breakfast, when, suddenly, out of the fog, three wolves appear on the other side of the log, not more than ten feet away. One starts to circle around the end of the log behind me. I grab my paddle (Iím not sure what I think I am going to do with it) and brandish it at the wolves and yell at them ďBugger off!Ē They look at me, the smallest one gives a yip, and they trot off into the fog, none too quickly.

The whole encounter hasnít lasted more than ten seconds and the fog closes in like they were never there. I wonder if I have just seen what I thought I have seen. Maybe, I rationalize, it is dogs from the village of Ahoushat which is ninety minutes away by trail. No, I think, as I go over the details from the scene just enacted. Although the animals themselves werenít that big, their feet were huge, their eyes were yellow and their coats were very long and thick. Definitely wolves.

In hindsight, they werenít terribly menacing, although I was a little nervous when one went round behind me. I definitely get the feeling that this is their beach, and they have a proprietorial curiosity about anything new on it. The more I think about it the more remarkable it seems. I feel privileged to have such a rare encounter.
    Alex

I'm glad you responded with a wolf story, I was starting to feel that perhaps I had hijacked your thread.

The wolves on Flores have some dog content. Also, they see a lot of humans and have learned that we are pretty much non threatening. We throw rocks and sticks. "Oh wow man, he just threw a stick at me!" These guys attack and kill black bears, we're just kittens to them. They had you if they wanted you, and still, they deferred. I know exactly what you mean by privileged. I'll add to that humbled. There's something really special about the wolf/human relationship.

I spent the whole summer with 2 packs and was only threatened once when the alpha guy from the northern pack mistook me for a bear from perhaps 100 yards away. I was hunkered down in my black sweatshirt near the pups. I was too busy trying to get the camera on this fiercely approaching animal to let him know that he was mistaken until he got about 20 yards away. At that point I spread my arms and told him, "It's OK wolf, it's just me, Pop". He stopped right then and there while his 8 pups gathered around him, 2 "Pops" looking after the kids (earlier in the day I had chased away a black bear who was showing too much interest). Then they walked off to join the rest of the pack. He was ready to take on a bear all by himself. They are fiercely protective of their families, much more so than many humans I'm afraid.

Here's "Alphey" with three of his kids. He's a fine specimen.

Nikon Summer 2017 521.jpg

Here's the bear sizing up the pups. I'm sure I heard him say "Yummers!".

Nikon Summer 2017 602.jpg

Now I really have hijacked things.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 08-12-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Gib, not at all, although there is probably enough material out there for a whole thread on wildlife encounters on the BC Coast alone.
    Alex

Yes. One (or several) of these days I'm going to edit all 648 photos from that trip. Then I'll just post them all, a few at a time, with comments and stories. Only thing, i have no patience with the editing, and will need to learn some editing software too. I have a friend who has offered to help learn the editing.

nice.....every thing and every word!

I'm sitting in our tree house and watching eagles, 2 pair.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I'm sitting in our tree house and watching eagles, 2 pair.
    I'm sitting here in central NJ and living vicariously.

Andrew and I went to Townsville on the weekend. Driving in on the 'old' highway I spotted two dingos on the marsh land nearby the airport. The area is close by a busy industrial precinct but has at its 'back door' acres of open salt pans and low scrub so the dingos have a lot of free open country to roam. I suppose, like wolves, its pretty neat to spot them.

Were you out for an overnight, or a day sail?

What's the tide range out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
    Andrew and I went to Townsville on the weekend. Driving in on the 'old' highway I spotted two dingos on the marsh land nearby the airport. The area is close by a busy industrial precinct but has at its 'back door' acres of open salt pans and low scrub so the dingos have a lot of free open country to roam. I suppose, like wolves, its pretty neat to spot them.
    Dingoes are beautiful, but as everybody knows, they eat a lot of babies.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/78190...-about-dingoes

Would they be allowed as pets where you live Bern? Apparently, according to the above, they make excellent, although high maintenance, pets.