Thread: What is this wood?

Default What is this wood?

I bought some wood in an estate sale, a slab of this beautiful deep red ( tinging orange ) heavy, hard & dense wood that I called bloodwood for lack of a better term. The widow did not know what it was ( her husband was hobbyist wood turner ).

It works nicely, albeit it atomizes, not chips. Glues well. When finished it is very rich in appearance, with a tight rosewood-sort of grain.

I need to buy more of this stuff. Edensaw has bloodwood, but it is grainer and significantly more orange.

Here's a pic of one of my boxes that I made with it. Can anybody identify the wood for me? And, if so, a source? Thanks-

Chinoiserie_ext.jpg
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic; save the country.

Default What is this wood?

Looks like Padauk to me. Edensaw should have it. So should Crosscut Hardwoods and Compton Lumber should too.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: What is this wood?

Nice Box!

Default Re: What is this wood?

Padauk is my first guess also. If you find a way to keep it from turning brown, you will be unique.

Jeff