Thread: What is this wood?

Default What is this wood?

I bought some wood in an estate sale, a slab of this beautiful deep red ( tinging orange ) heavy, hard & dense wood that I called bloodwood for lack of a better term. The widow did not know what it was ( her husband was hobbyist wood turner ).

It works nicely, albeit it atomizes, not chips. Glues well. When finished it is very rich in appearance, with a tight rosewood-sort of grain.

I need to buy more of this stuff. Edensaw has bloodwood, but it is grainer and significantly more orange.

Here's a pic of one of my boxes that I made with it. Can anybody identify the wood for me? And, if so, a source? Thanks-

Chinoiserie_ext.jpg
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

Default What is this wood?

Looks like Padauk to me. Edensaw should have it. So should Crosscut Hardwoods and Compton Lumber should too.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: What is this wood?

Nice Box!

Padauk is my first guess also. If you find a way to keep it from turning brown, you will be unique.

Jeff

Padauk my guess too.
    basil

And there are many other woods that are close to that color. Blood wood, Indian rosewood or Chinese rosewood to name a few.
    A photo of the end grain would tell all.
    Jay

Looks padauk esque. What did it smell like working it? Padauk ime has sort of a cookie baking aroma; different than the rosewoods I've worked with.

The curse of the whole wood sales / purchasing arrangement is "trade names". We have bloodwood here in Australia too, eucalypt that looks much like your sample.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

@ Peter
    I have a piece of rail tie like that. The dark stripe is more porous than the rest, hard and a bit brittle. We call it Australian sleeper wood. Much coarser open grained than that box, would not take a finish so well.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I've seen jarrah sleepers offered for sale near here - jarrah is the right sort of colour, brutally hard and heavier than oak. The Burl is much prized.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Identifying woods can be tough enough with a sample in hand a lens and a razor blade. From a foto, the best that can be hoped for is a list of possibles, as has grown here. I've seen Khaya ivorensis that looked like that (aka African Mahogany).
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)