Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brits...brexit

Default Re: Brits...brexit

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    ^ Its no wonder Cameron just walked off when he did, must have realised the clusterfudge he was responsible for.
    ^ Front runner for the 'Worst ever PM ever' award

PS Just had this sent to me:

36907319_1527746103997152_1683897762971648000_n.jpg

Candidates to replace Boris Johnson wait to be interviewed.
    Last edited by obscured by clouds; 07-09-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    Yma o hyd

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    And Boris The Liar walks off into the sunset.....

Anybody fancy Gove for our next PM?
    Not having watched the Slithy Tove being told his financial facts were wrong on 't telly, and then double down on the lie. A second rate ex journalist and TV face who I would not trust to run a dogems ride.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Haven't heard too much today from the Minister for the Eighteenth century.I think the point in post #71 describing Cameron as our worst prime minister might need revising fairly soon,because I doubt the incumbent will have much longer in which to polish her legacy for the history books.

Did anybody think, when this whole debacle began, that it would lead to the disintegration of the government? Yeah, me too
    It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

Jeezus H Christ on stalks! Now we've got Jeremy Hunt as Foreign Secretary...Aaaargh!
    It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

Sounds like you need a whole new set of wheels…………….

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    I hate to quibble with a guy recovering from serious injuries. How's that coming along?
    Slowly. Nine breaks in total, plus four new holes in the tibia for screws has stretched the boy's resources somewhat. But I'm pretty danged good Osborne! Thanks for asking!

The EU is about trading in order to prevent fighting. Trading doesn't replace fighting. Completely legit to use it as a weapon.
    ♫ "For the Union makes us strong" ♫
    Within the single market trading does replace fighting: That's the essence of it. No bombs and bullets being flung about the place. No death and destruction. Every country that has joined the EU has undoubtedly benefited. Those that have struggled post GFC (Spain, Italy, Greece, Portugal) have all had a safety net that was not there previously. Extra-EU trading, yes, it can be used as a "weapon" a-la tariffs on Harley's as we've recently seen. But it's still not bombs, death and bullets. I thought that point would have been obvious?

As to recent developments (Boris the idiot et al spitting the dummy) is there any chance that May might call their bluff and suggest a second referendum: Hard Brexit, Soft Brexit or No Brexit?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Google Alexander Downer for a heads up. He's quite the Oz version of Boris and Billy Bunter.
    Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    Or, to put it another way, you don't know what you are talking about (and neither does anyone else)

This appears to be an outburst of venom, but, who knows?
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Slowly. Nine breaks in total, plus four new holes in the tibia for screws has stretched the boy's resources somewhat. But I'm pretty danged good Osborne! Thanks for asking!
    Very glad to hear it!

As to recent developments (Boris the idiot et al spitting the dummy) is there any chance that May might call their bluff and suggest a second referendum: Hard Brexit, Soft Brexit or No Brexit?
    Beats me. I can't follow all the finagling with coalitions and such . . . "OMG, what is their real purpose?"

Even after a deal is made it can be self-paralyzed by self-contradiction. Different sections are put in by different interest groups.

The terms are unknown to me . . . hard, soft, no, spitting the dummy . . . sounds like something out of Kipling.

I'm still astonished that public opinion could be turned in this direction at all. Guess I have to get over that, eh?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Google Alexander Downer for a heads up. He's quite the Oz version of Boris and Billy Bunter.
    Purri, you baffle me.

I'm sure you are capable of speaking and writing in plain English and yet you almost invariably seem to make your posts as cryptic and obscure as possible. Why? I would be quite interested in what you have to say if you would only just say it.

I am also baffled as to why you would think I would waste my time googling some Australian gent, quite unknown to me, simply to try to decipher what appears to be a dose of gratuitous and pointless venom.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Alexander Downer

Former Member of the Australian House of Representatives

Alexander John Gosse Downer AC is a former Australian politician and diplomat who was leader of the Liberal Party from 1994 to 1995, Minister for Foreign Affairs from 1996 to 2007, and High Commissioner to the United Kingdom from 2014 to 2018.

Billy Bunter and your Boris Johnson.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Very glad to hear it!

Beats me. I can't follow all the finagling with coalitions and such . . . "OMG, what is their real purpose?"

Even after a deal is made it can be self-paralyzed by self-contradiction. Different sections are put in by different interest groups.

The terms are unknown to me . . . hard, soft, no, spitting the dummy . . . sounds like something out of Kipling.

I'm still astonished that public opinion could be turned in this direction at all. Guess I have to get over that, eh?
    The terms
    Hard Brexit: Complete separation from European institutions, just like the US of A
    Soft Brexit: Possibly like this
    A soft Brexit would see the UK have a similar membership of the European Economic Area to that of Norway.
    This would mean the country would still have access to the single market, while being able to make deals without the rest of the EU.
    It would also see the UK stay within the EU customs union - meaning exports would not be subject to border checks or tariffs.
    And a softer Brexit could see the UK making payments into EU budgets and accepting the "four freedoms" of movement of goods, services, capital and people.
    Free access for European nationals to work and settle in the UK would also continue.
    Spitting out the dummy. Action of a petulant baby spitting out whet I think you call a pacifier. Similar term is "throwing the toys out of the pram"

Pardon madame,

We,

In the close eastern city beaches of Sydney (being in our neighborhood are infested by sundry pommy spivs, Scots, Irish and Mancunian wideboys, lager louts, chavs , hooray henrys and sundry ilk toting their alleged cultural superiority . My post was a short summary and objection of such. I have seen such in Italy, France and Germany in sundry guises across all generations but around here they overrun the locals by in SOP venues by a margin unless we do our bit. As a male of some years I have sundry matters and licences to care for however as my missis (and me) have been subject by tourists of that ilk I have gross objections to pursue them at my peril of such. Having met the subject (Downer) in a professional capacity and spoken to some of his cohort I can assure you his self induced aura remains unchanged.
    Purri, you baffle me.

I'm sure you are capable of speaking and writing in plain English and yet you almost invariably seem to make your posts as cryptic and obscure as possible. Why? I would be quite interested in what you have to say if you would only just say it.

I am also baffled as to why you would think I would waste my time googling some Australian gent, quite unknown to me, simply to try to decipher what appears to be a dose of gratuitous and pointless venom.
    Last edited by purri; 07-10-2018 at 05:02 AM.
    Xanthorrea

Pardon madame,

We,

In the close eastern city beaches of Sydney (being in our neighborhood are infested by sundry pommy spivs, Scots, Irish and Mancunian wideboys, lager louts, chavs , hooray henrys and sundry ilk .
    Sounds as though they would fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Sounds as though they would fit right in.
    And Purri was "disappointed with the quality of the discourse" on this thread. Perhaps we should all aspire to the heights of knowledgeable, insightful, wise and civilised discourse he demonstrates in his own contributions.

^If you understand John Cooper Clarke or Billy Bragg you might understand me, BTW my delivery covers a number of languages, some of them local thus alliterative, associative and composed of both Englishes of various guises and sundry Asian.
    Xanthorrea

I'd settle for comprehensabubble, or intelligabubble.....
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

^If you understand John Cooper Clarke or Billy Bragg you might understand me, BTW my delivery covers a number of languages, some of them local thus alliterative, associative and composed of both Englishes of various guises and sundry Asian.
    I am well familiar with both of them.
    I can understand the individual words that you use., but like Eric Morecambe said to Andre Previn " I am playing all of the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Oh dear. So where are the A level candidates. JCC and Bragg would do you dominant mobs you in a moment.
    Last edited by purri; 07-10-2018 at 05:42 AM.
    Xanthorrea

I understand Nick , however some/ most play to the generalist anthem. Thank you my brother

Yiyaluu

I am well familiar with both of them.
    I can understand the individual words that you use., but like Eric Morecambe said to Andre Previn " I am playing all of the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    I'd settle for comprehensabubble, or intelligabubble.....
    Well, that has just been achieved, but was it worth it? Possibly obscure is preferable.

Well, that has just been achieved, but was it worth it? Possibly obscure is preferable.
    Rick (Purri) is saying there are infestations of British backpacker scum in certain areas of our nation who, like the similar hordes that descend upon Ibiza, loudly and drunkenly proclaim cultural superiority and then vomit on the footpath outside the boozer. They, and the parents that did so spawn them - those little Englanders - are the dolts that turned out en-masse and in enough numbers to scrape past the post in Cameron's "I-want-to-hang-onto-my-job" referendum.

Rick is on the correct side of the debate, but (I think) has accurately identified the social vacuum that supposes it is actually a cultural identity, probably generated by years of Tory rule and a slow general shift to the right, rather than the kind of society that might have grown out of policy that promoted liberal arts, critical thinking, science and income equality.

Alexander Downer is the kind of bumbling twit of the right wing, whose sole quality was to be able to shimmy rightward whilst appearing kind of charming and harmless. His daughter is a Trump supporter and wanting to get into Parliament herself. Here's hoping she never succeeds. Does Boris have spawn?

In terms of the deplorable result of the vote, we can claim no better in Australia already having elected Tony Abbott to the prime ministership. Unfortunately he was replaced before we could vote him and his side out. Now we are saddled with Malcolm Turnbull who has abandoned every principled position he has ever held to hang onto his job.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

That particular election, Abbott and Rudd, gave us a choice of men who no one in their right mind would allow to Prime Minister of Australia. A real low point, and dereliction of duty on the part of the major parties and the main cause of distrust and disillusionment in politics and parliament's capacities and honesty.

Britain seems to be in a similar bind at present.

Rick (Purri) is saying there are infestations of British backpacker scum in certain areas of our nation who, like the similar hordes that descend upon Ibiza, loudly and drunkenly proclaim cultural superiority and then vomit on the footpath outside the boozer. They, and the parents that did so spawn them - those little Englanders - are the dolts that turned out en-masse and in enough numbers to scrape past the post in Cameron's "I-want-to-hang-onto-my-job" referendum.

Rick is on the correct side of the debate, but (I think) has accurately identified the social vacuum that supposes it is actually a cultural identity, probably generated by years of Tory rule and a slow general shift to the right, rather than the kind of society that might have grown out of policy that promoted liberal arts, critical thinking, science and income equality.

Alexander Downer is the kind of bumbling twit of the right wing, whose sole quality was to be able to shimmy rightward whilst appearing kind of charming and harmless. His daughter is a Trump supporter and wanting to get into Parliament herself. Here's hoping she never succeeds. Does Boris have spawn?

In terms of the deplorable result of the vote, we can claim no better in Australia already having elected Tony Abbott to the prime ministership. Unfortunately he was replaced before we could vote him and his side out. Now we are saddled with Malcolm Turnbull who has abandoned every principled position he has ever held to hang onto his job.
    All nations have spawned scumbags and yobs down the ages. It is not new, nor is it uniquely British.
    I'll bet that the £5 Poms and their predecessors who had free tickets on the transports have also spawned some total yobs.
    As far as Boris' spawn and Downers daughter are concerned. Boris' dad is a nice bloke. Douchbaggery tends to skip alternate generations.

All nations have spawned scumbags and yobs down the ages. It is not new, nor is it uniquely British.
    I'll bet that the £5 [actually £10] Poms and their predecessors who had free tickets on the transports have also spawned some total yobs.
    As far as Boris' spawn and Downers daughter are concerned. Boris' dad is a nice bloke. Douchbaggery tends to skip alternate generations.
    My Mum was a £10 pom, and Dad was sent out to escape being conscripted into the Suez Crisis. He was expected to return and he did not, instead meeting my Mum in the Western Australian desert. His side of the family has been a bit frosty ever since, but it's the side with the bloke that designed this and this (speaking of 'tradition') - and Downer's daughter is worse than her dad ...

So I reckon I have as much right to have a say as any other Pom.

(I should have formalised my Citizenship, gotten a passport and bloody voted, but I had other expenses at the time. )
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

The Who had a song called Boris the Spider. Might be time to resurrect it!

Rick

Can anyone explain why, with the right imploding in spectacular fashion, the left (loony or otherwise) isn't hammering for a confidence motion, or another referendum? One would think they would have majority support from the public.

What are you doing about it?

The Brexit thing to isnt a right left issue, there are little englanders from all across the spectrum, and so help me some of them are Welsh....

Corbyn would have the same sort of problems.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Can anyone explain why, with the right imploding in spectacular fashion, the left (loony or otherwise) isn't hammering for a confidence motion, or another referendum? One would think they would have majority support from the public.
    In spite of settled Labour policy Corbyn was always anti EU. Most well informed Trades Unionists are pro EU. Unfortunate now that Corbyn and his acolytes have power in Labour, they are also in a shambles on the issue.

Thanks, gentlemen. I value your perspective.

What are you doing about it?

Maybe a new coalition could be formed by centre-right and centre-left MPs from both Tories and Labour?
    Kill the whole thing off with another referendum and rescind the article 44 trigger? Reset and go back to their constituent sides of politics afterwards?

Surely the stakes for the country are way above party politics, and I would assume the overwhelming majority of MPs are remainers?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

The terms
    Hard Brexit: Complete separation from European institutions, just like the US of A
    Soft Brexit: Possibly like this
    Spitting out the dummy. Action of a petulant baby spitting out whet I think you call a pacifier. Similar term is "throwing the toys out of the pram"
    OK, thanks for that.

The problem that remains for me is, finding a rationale for soft Brexit. Seems like advocates want a custom tailored membership, but what, why, and why would the EU agree? If every member is goint to have a particular form of membership, it doesn't add up to much of a union. Do you want a union or don't you? Would be my question.

Under the Maastricht Treaty, the European Communities became the European Union on 1 November 1993, reflecting the evolution of the organisation from an economic union into a political union.

-- wikipedia
    To me, these things are inseparable. Economic interests are harmonized because it's in everyone's interest. A common defense is also in everyone's interest. Defense is based on the economy. What am I missing?

Seems to me both world wars were in large part due to go-it-alone-ism, resulting in millions of deaths, and at one point, English people huddled underground with bombs raining down on their cities for F ing crying out loud. Lots of people must have said, "By God, this is never going to happen to us again." Now it's not only Hungary, Poland, on and on, with the resurgent fascism, but England too? The thirties all over again? Who was that guy, Oswald Mosley? I mean, there were like little knots of them in every sector of society, right?
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

OK, thanks for that.

The problem that remains for me is, finding a rationale for soft Brexit. Seems like advocates want a custom tailored membership, but what, why, and why would the EU agree? If every member is goint to have a particular form of membership, it doesn't add up to much of a union. Do you want a union or don't you? Would be my question.
    Unfortunately the real problem is that leaving the EU is a very bad idea. People who voted for it did so for uninformed reasons based on crass ignorance. For example a farmer voted to leave because he thought that a government department that was delaying his subsidies was an EU department. In fact the EU was fining our government for delaying those very payments. You cannot fix ignorant.

To me, these things are inseparable. Economic interests are harmonized because it's in everyone's interest. A common defense is also in everyone's interest. Defense is based on the economy. What am I missing?
    Stupidity?

Seems to me both world wars were in large part due to go-it-alone-ism, resulting in millions of deaths, and at one point, English people huddled underground with bombs raining down on their cities for F ing crying out loud. Lots of people must have said, "By God, this is never going to happen to us again." Now it's not only Hungary, Poland, on and on, with the resurgent fascism, but England too? The thirties all over again? Who was that guy, Oswald Mosley? I mean, there were like little knots of them in every sector of society, right?
    I don't agree so much with "go it aloneism" unless I misunderstand you. They were about conquest of other nations for their resources.

I just mean that resistance to aggression was reactive and ad hoc, each nation going it alone. A consensus was reached that it would be better to cooperate beforehand.

Too much 'cooperation' can become appeasement.
    Arguably if the allies had jumped when Germany first annexed the Sudatenland WW2 would have been nipped in the bud. But after the carnage of WW1 no politician was going down that path easily.