Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Canoe Yawl, design by William Garden

Default Re: Canoe Yawl, design by William Garden

Hi Toxophilite,

She looks great.

What is the length of the Holmes version Eel? Looks longer than the Strange/Garden version.

G

My understanding is that Eel was George Holmes' own design and it is the seminal 'Eel' . Garden's design is a light version which is a tip of the hat to Holmes' Eel.
    I think Albert strange was along for one eels first overseas voyages, when she was shipped to Hamburg to cruise German waters. But he was not the designer.
    Pilgrim's Wake is a very slight alteration of Holmes's design.
    20 feet on deck and I believe 25' overall. Sails very nicely and looks like a sleek little toy on the water.
    Strip planked in red cedar with laminated oak frames, the whole boat, (including the spars!) is encapsulated in glass and epoxy.
    I had the privilege of sailing her for a season on a few weekend jaunts locally. Fast little boat in a good breeze. Very stout and seaworthy too. The builder took her around Vancouver Island as well as across the hecate straight and around Haida Gwaii (formerly Queen Charlotte Island) solo. Set up for length solo cruising she has everything imaginable., head, stove, fresh and salt water taps, fishing gear, crab traps, 2-3 anchors, RADAR! etc etc.
    Unlike the original design she has an inboard one lung 6hp diesel. Also has sweeps which double as beaching legs
    Also a steel rail alone the bottom for beaching.
    about 3000lbs

I discovered she'll hit 11 knots surfing down wind with just the main up (briefly of coarse) ..I was not exactly thrilled to discover this as I had to pee and was hungry and had soaked both sets of my clothing to the bone with walls of green water coming down the deck(I wasn't going down wind then)... and I kept seeing giant logs drift by behind me that I hadn't seen in front of me in the hugely steep but short chop I was negotiating.....
    Pilgrim's Wake handled it fine even if I found it a bit tiresome/terrifying.
    One of my favourite pictures ( I took it..cast adrift in a dinghy!)
    note the 6 ft slender man in the cockpit. this is relatively small boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Toxophilite; 12-07-2018 at 02:50 AM.

Brilliant! Thanks for the background. I am currently building Ethel (version 1 - 13'). And, I have an Eel, half finished, long story, as well.

I did eventually get a copy of Knight on Sailing - 1900. There was a fair bit about canoe yawls in that volume, much of which I had not heard before. Particularly in regard to the 'balanced lug'. I had not realised that the balanced lug was meant to be hauled up tight, like a butterfly wing.

Great to see such a beautiful boat.

Graham

I did read the understated fright between the lines.