Thread: Alec Rose

Default Alec Rose

A good article in The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-world-sailing

From what I can tell, admirable in style, substance, and seamanship. I may need to go read more about the fellow.

Alex

Default Re: Alec Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    A good article in The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-world-sailing

From what I can tell, admirable in style, substance, and seamanship. I may need to go read more about the fellow.

Alex
    His book "My Lively Lady" is well worth reading. He wasn't a greengrocer who wanted to sail round the world; he wanted to sail round the world so he became a greengrocer, because it provided an income for his wife whilst he was away.

I remember my father comparing Chichester sprouting mung beans while Rose tucked into another slice of his wife's fruit cake.

Yes, definitely a hero of mine.

The boat is still with us; a Fred Shepherd design iirc.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

But Chichester also had a keg of beer on board...

And plenty of rum.

Sir Alec Rose seemed to appear from nowhere and then to do his level best to disappear again, but the truth is that he was in most respects a typical English yachtsman of his era. What was unusual about him was his clear minded determination and self control in pursuit of his objective. He really did set out to do, and did, what most of his fellow yachtsmen of the day dreamed of doing.

His first boat was - typically enough - a lifeboat conversion. He spent fifteen years saving up for his long distance boat, and he chose extremely well. He made one mistake in fitting her out - he relied too much on Illingworth and Primrose and not enough on his own judgement in the matter of the new rig. But he had gone to the right firm, or at any rate one of the right firms.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

His book "My Lively Lady" is well worth a read. He was a much better writer than the young man who wrote the article. I'm surprised that the Guardian editors would leave in BS (spelled out) and the phrase "where the hell".

I read somewhere, I think it was "Classic Boat". The author of the piece had sailed "Lively Lady" and found her to be so hard mouthed (excessive weather helm in a gust) that he thought it surprising that Alec Rose made it out of the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    His book "My Lively Lady" is well worth a read. He was a much better writer than the young man who wrote the article. I'm surprised that the Guardian editors would leave in BS (spelled out) and the phrase "where the hell".

I read somewhere, I think it was "Classic Boat". The author of the piece had sailed "Lively Lady" and found her to be so hard mouthed (excessive weather helm in a gust) that he thought it surprising that Alec Rose made it out of the channel.
    Suspect that writer was not used to heavy long keeled boats.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

One of my favorite books growing up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Me too (I’ve got a signed one!)
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Andrew, your comment about Chichester is interesting. I have known of him for just as long but for some reason never felt a similar interest in reading his book. I think I felt he was more,.... ‘commercial’ about the whole thing and that didn’t interest me as much. Maybe I should pick up a copy some time.

The book that has always been on my ‘want to’ list is Robert Knox Johnson’s “A world of my own”. Gotta read it sometime.

Sir Rose was able to give regular blokes a sense that maybe they could be like him, where as the man with the keg, while admirable, was in a world quite unattainable for the rest of us.