Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 48

Thread: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    10,229

    Default 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    How many dealerships will have to fire workers?
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    17,251

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    And WTH is a "foreign car", even, when US automakers build vehicles in Canada and Japanese manufacturers build them in the USA?

    What are you doing about it?




  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    2,179

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    did you ever see what Ford goes through to bring the Transit Connect to the states? They are/were built in Turkey. To get past the "chicken tax" they are built with full interiors and windows all around as passenger cars. Once they get here, the interiors are pulled out and trashed, a rubber mat placed on the floor and the windows are either removed and trashed or left depending in the options listed for that vehicle.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Kingsville, Ontario
    Posts
    256

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    46,536

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    yeah man, that foreign truffle is crushing US truffle production.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Newburgh, NY USA
    Posts
    1,780

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Will raise the price of all cars at least 19%. Tarrifs will cause inflation and increase in cost of living. Will this reduce dept load? In any event, will be disruptive.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    2,205

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    50% tariff on ship parts?
    The USA is still the cheapest place to buy some boat parts...... how come?
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the river, Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,559

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Here' s a question. Many of the parts used in US built cars of any brand, come in from overseas. Auto parts are a major industry in Canada, UK, Germany, France, Korea, Japan, Thailand, China and India among others. Many of those parts end up hidden behind Ford, Dodge and Chevy badges. Do they attract tariffs as well? If so, domestically produced cars, trucks and so on will suddenly become quite a bit more expensive.

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,859

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Here' s a question. Many of the parts used in US built cars of any brand, come in from overseas. Auto parts are a major industry in Canada, UK, Germany, France, Korea, Japan, Thailand, China and India among others. Many of those parts end up hidden behind Ford, Dodge and Chevy badges. Do they attract tariffs as well? If so, domestically produced cars, trucks and so on will suddenly become quite a bit more expensive.

    John Welsford
    That was pointed out by the CEO of General Motors a few days ago. The tariffs have the effect of a major sales tax on all cars sold in the U.S. It's worth noting that when the country was founded, tariffs were the entire income of the U.S. government. The U.S. Coast Guard was founded to collect them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Caribbean cliff edge
    Posts
    18,085

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    20% tariff WOW.

    My heart bleeds.

    We pay a mere 85% import duty/VAT/customs service charge/environmental tax on the Cost, Insurance and Freight on vehicles.

    When I see a vehicle advertised on US TV I just mentally double the price to see what it would cost here.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    20,291

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    20% tariff WOW.

    My heart bleeds.

    We pay a mere 85% import duty/VAT/customs service charge/environmental tax on the Cost, Insurance and Freight on vehicles.

    When I see a vehicle advertised on US TV I just mentally double the price to see what it would cost here.
    Living in paradise has it's price... sorry, not much sympathy here, for ya.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    26,096

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    This is an insane policy of course.

    The Trump base loves it of course.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Truth is not the truth.
    Crimes are not crimes.
    Trump is doing beautifully.





  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    10,059

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    And WTH is a "foreign car", even, when US automakers build vehicles in Canada and Japanese manufacturers build them in the USA?
    Honda builds engines in Anna, Ohio, all the way from pouring aluminum for the rough castings, to finished product (25 million since as of a year ago, http://www.foundrymag.com/meltpour/h...5-million-mark). Honda's Russel Point, Ohio and Tallapaloosa, Georgia plants make gear sets and transmissions. The get exported to other Honda plants for assembly into cars and trucks. See https://hondainamerica.com/manufacturing/

    At the heart of your "Japanese" Honda quite likely lies a drivetrain made in the USA by UAW workers.

    I don't believe whazzhizname really understands this stuff.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,859

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Honda builds engines in Anna, Ohio, all the way from pouring aluminum for the rough castings, to finished product (25 million since as of a year ago, http://www.foundrymag.com/meltpour/h...5-million-mark). Honda's Russel Point, Ohio and Tallapaloosa, Georgia plants make gear sets and transmissions. The get exported to other Honda plants for assembly into cars and trucks. See https://hondainamerica.com/manufacturing/

    At the heart of your "Japanese" Honda quite likely lies a drivetrain made in the USA by UAW workers.

    I don't believe whazzhizname really understands this stuff.
    The UAW doesn't represent any Honda workers. The Accord has at least the same US content as any US-brand car, however. All auto companies import a portion of their line into the US, and most also assemble here. Canada has relatively few assembly plants, exports most of their output to the US, then imports the rest of the product line from the US, balancing the jobs. It's model for fair trade.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,254

    Default

    I believe it was Adam Smith who first postulated that when a nation's finances can be arranged to imoort more goods than you export, your standard of living actually rises. Which makes sense at a macro level. And it has worked for the US, and it has been proven true in the reverse for some third world countries who exports lots of raw materials to industrialized nation's.

    I suppose the logic is lost on Trumpists.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    20,291

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    I believe it was Adam Smith who first postulated that when a nation's finances can be arranged to imoort more goods than you export, your standard of living actually rises. Which makes sense at a macro level. And it has worked for the US, and it has been proven true in the reverse for some third world countries who exports lots of raw materials to industrialized nation's.

    I suppose the logic is lost on Trumpists.
    The coincidence of the words 'logic' and 'Trumpista' is, in itself, oxymoronic.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Freeland, WA
    Posts
    26,590

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Remember, our current president said that he did want to see any new Mercedes on Fifth Avenue.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

    Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the river, Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,559

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Remember, our current president said that he did want to see any new Mercedes on Fifth Avenue.
    I wonder if he knows that some of them are built in America?

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the river, Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,559

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    That was pointed out by the CEO of General Motors a few days ago. The tariffs have the effect of a major sales tax on all cars sold in the U.S. It's worth noting that when the country was founded, tariffs were the entire income of the U.S. government. The U.S. Coast Guard was founded to collect them.
    Here's another question. I note with interest that Ford are not going to produce small cars in the USA, but there are Ford car plants all over the place, many of which build complete cars. I cant imagine that they'll completely abandon the domestic small car market, but would bring cars in from those other plants. Will they attract tariffs?

    To take that a step further, I checked here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_factories and note with interest that a lot of major components of the domestically assembled vehicles come in from factories in places that you'd not expect, Turkey for one, Thailand, and so on. If all of those attract tariffs, then, as pointed out vis a vis Dans and my previous posts, then American buyers wallets are going to take a pretty big hit.

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the river, Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,559

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Remember, our current president said that he did want to see any new Mercedes on Fifth Avenue.
    He could do that by having signs put up at each end of the avenue saying "Mercedes free zone".

    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Caribbean cliff edge
    Posts
    18,085

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    20% tariff WOW.

    My heart bleeds.

    We pay a mere 85% import duty/VAT/customs service charge/environmental tax on the Cost, Insurance and Freight on vehicles.

    When I see a vehicle advertised on US TV I just mentally double the price to see what it would cost here.
    Living in paradise has it's price... sorry, not much sympathy here, for ya.

    Yes, it does come at a price.

    Cheers
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    2,179

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    He could do that by having signs put up at each end of the avenue saying "Mercedes free zone".

    John Welsford
    then only criminals would have Mercedes!
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,130

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Most "foreign" cars are now built in the USA - Honda, Subaru, Toyota, etc. The name "American" car company is nothing more than a recognition of tradition, not reality.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    30,015

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    This is an insane policy of course.

    The Trump base loves it of course.
    I see this morning a couple of GOP senators express some disdain over Trump's tariffs as some of their constituents are feeling pain from them.

    If I had GOP senators, I'd sent them something like this:

    You must know that Trump’s tariffs are hurting businesses and costing Americans their jobs. You must know that most of the tax cuts have been used by corporations for stock buy backs. You must know that Trump met with Kim Jong Un and made concessions without getting anything for them. You must know the separating of families at the border violates human rights. You must know Trump is coddling with our enemies and dissing our friends. You must know that dismantling the ACA will cost millions of Americans their health insurance.
    All of this and more you must know, but yet you vote with him.
    When are you going to vote FOR the country and its people?
    I would ask you to not support anything this president wants, including judges, until/unless he starts making decision that HELP the American people.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,757

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    This is an insane policy of course.

    The Trump base loves it of course.
    Until they get layed of and loose their benefits.
    Don't worry I'm happy

    "The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

    Sherlock Holmes

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,859

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Most "foreign" cars are now built in the USA - Honda, Subaru, Toyota, etc. The name "American" car company is nothing more than a recognition of tradition, not reality.
    Most "foreign" auto companies do have plants in the U.S. Most also import half or more of their U.S. sales.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Caribbean cliff edge
    Posts
    18,085

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Yes, it does come at a price.

    Cheers

    Mind you I hate to have to add 85% to any of these.
    PS note my avatar.

    IMG_2490.jpg IMG_2491.jpg
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,859

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    The Caribbean islands have to protect their domestic auto industry.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Caribbean cliff edge
    Posts
    18,085

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    The Caribbean islands have to protect their domestic auto industry.


    Mini Moke were made in UK, then Australia then in Portugal, but while the may have sold well in the Caribbean they were never manufactured there.

    Note to prices are in £.

    We'd have to add about 85% to those figures.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,859

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    So the tariffs are just another tax? Hmmm....

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Caribbean cliff edge
    Posts
    18,085

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    So the tariffs are just another tax? Hmmm....

    Basically yes. They have other aspects, including as you say contributing the the Public Treasury.

    tar·iffˈterəf/
    noun
    [COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

    • 1.
      a tax or duty to be paid on a particular class of imports or exports.
      synonyms: tax, duty, toll, excise, levy, charge, rate, fee, countervail; price list
      "the lower tariffs across the border"

    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tariff
    A tariff is a tax on imports or exports. Money collected under a tariff is called a duty or customs duty. Tariffs are used by governments to generate revenue or to protect domestic industries from competition.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,859

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    So we are looking at one of the largest federal tax hikes in U.S. History?

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Caribbean cliff edge
    Posts
    18,085

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    So we are looking at one of the largest federal tax hikes in U.S. History?

    You are under no compulsion to pay it.

    You don't have to pay it.

    Just buy 'USA produced vehicles'.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    983

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Which will cost more because of the tariffs on raw steel and aluminum.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,859

    Default Re: 20% Tarriff on foreign cars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    You are under no compulsion to pay it.

    You don't have to pay it.

    Just buy 'USA produced vehicles'.
    The tax isn't on vehicles, it is on vehicles, components and raw materials. You have to pay it if you buy a car--like any sales tax. It'a a 900% tax hike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •