Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678 LastLast

Thread: Lost soccer team found alive in cave

Default Re: Lost soccer team found alive in cave

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post

…......Same in some of the other Asian countries. Even third generation people that the 'host' country don't recognise as citizens.......
    Not just Asia , Britain still today..... Go Wikipedia 'Windrush Scandal, and any number of articles you can Google
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

There are Koreans descendant from Koreans taken to Japan during the war that are stateless in Japan.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Not just Asia , Britain still today..... Go Wikipedia 'Windrush Scandal, and any number of articles you can Google
    That cock up is admitted to and being sorted out. We do recognise them as citizens, but Bumbledom could not find the paperwork.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Regarding the coach, it seems he did not lead them into the but actually went looking for them.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Where did you hear that?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Where did you hear that?

Rick
    Coach Ake (Ekkapol Ake Chantawong) - 25 years old, kept the incredibly brave and resilient young soccer players safe inside the cave. Here's a bit about him: He lost his entire family when he was just 10 yrs old. He became a Buddhist monk, and was raised in the monastery; he now devotes his life to young people and to the boys he coaches.

Inside the cave he taught the boys to meditate in order to stay calm and to conserve their energy; he helped them to keep their spirits up and he refused food - instead giving the boys his rations.
    After the rescue, he was in the worst shape of the group and he was the last one rescued out.
    His aunt says that she knows he is probably blaming himself. The parents of the trapped boys say “We will heal his heart”.
    Okay probably not true.
    https://www.businessinsider.com.au/t...18-7?r=US&IR=T
    Chanthawong took the boys about 2 1/2 miles into the cave after a soccer game on June 23 for an initiation ritual in which they would write their names on the cave wall, a rescue diver said.

If true Elon Musk has seriously gone down in my estimation.
    https://www.news.com.au/technology/b...9a952a636fccd2

If the ex-pat has never been arrested for or even charged with pedophilia then Elon Musk just bought himself a lot of trouble.
    Last edited by Mike V.; 07-15-2018 at 08:22 PM.

The whole thing seems weird to me anyway. Long before anyone was talking about mini-subs, it was known that the flooded passage had a squeeze (at least one) and tight bends in it. Why wouldn't Musk's engineers have known that a rigid sub couldn't get through? Some sort of flexible bag might have been a workable option. I'd have thought Musk would have pretty good access to some knowledgeable engineers, surely?

Rick

Each day, we find out just a little bit more about how the rescue operation proceeded. I found this latest article very informative (don't be misled by the title!) and I'm looking forward to the TV documentary tonight:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-1...munity/9992204

Rick

Re Musk, publicity?
    I reckon he didn't think they'd get them out, at least not so quickly. As a consequence the unveiling and deployment of his device never happened.
    Sour grapes.

The story mentioned that the boys and their coach were "heavily sedated". I wonder if they were actually unconscious?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V. View Post
    The story mentioned that the boys and their coach were "heavily sedated". I wonder if they were actually unconscious?
    From earlier in the thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Not sedated
    12:39 10 JulBoys were given medication for journey out of the cave

The Thai prime minister earlier confirmed reports that the boys had been given medication to prevent them panicking as they were brought out.
    Prayut Chan-ocha said that they were not sedated, as some reports suggested, but given anti-anxiety medication similar to that taken by him and other soldiers.
    “When we take this, we can be more focused and increase the chance of sharp shooting,” he said.

from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/44755093
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I'm guessing they wouldn't have been unconscious; just sedated enough to limit panic but conscious enough to provide `feedback' to the transporting divers and other crew. I'll watch the doco tonight and if it's clearer, I'll report back later!

I've had to help a kid in the surf who was possibly drowning and he wasn't panicking at all - just seemed resigned to his fate! I've seen a learner-diver panic when he surfaced a long way (for him) from the boat and he nearly drowned his instructor (not really nearly but it looked that way!). Fortunately, I've never seen anyone panic in a cave but I've heard about it and read about it, and it ain't pretty!, as they say ..... Tangled guidelines seem to be the most common consequence and plenty of drowned cave divers have been found tangled up in their line. Fingernails torn off from out-of-air divers clawing at cave walls seems to be the other more common one. Horrible to contemplate.

When I first heard about cave diving, I thought you'd have to be insane. I only embarked on it at all so that I could get into sinkholes to take photos. But as you learn the techniques and really begin to understand the safety-related protocols, it becomes really interesting, and the training is a lot of fun. A lot of my training was done in a swimming pool wearing blindfolds and we also practiced laying guidelines in a carpark and bushy area, also with blindfolds on. My first dive in a cavern with virtually no visibility was a small sinkhole where the local farmer dumped all the cow manure from his milking sheds, or whatever. Doesn't sound like fun but it was! And the diving, once you're qualified and you can start exploring sinkholes and caves, is really a lot of fun and there are many beautiful spots you can explore. I'd recommend cave dive training to anyone who really enjoys diving. It's not anywhere nearly as dangerous as it seems and almost none of it is anything like the rescue dive in Thailand. It's generally a lot safer than wreck diving and especially deeper diving. I actually don't really like deep diving as you get so little time at the bottom and you have to wait too long to decompress as you ascend. I also don't think it's healthy to subject your body to that and I don't really trust the science of gas mixing!! Most cave diving is quite shallow - 40m is the Cave Diving Association limit in Australia. In almost all the diving I do these days, I'm only down to about 20 or 30m and most of the interesting stuff is above 20m anyway.

End of plug - try cave diving!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    From earlier in the thread
    According to the anaesthetist who sedated them, they were sedated. He must have been disappointed if he found out later that they weren't!

I'm guessing it's a translation mixup - not too many translators would distinguish between `sedated' and `unconscious'.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    End of plug - try cave diving!

Rick
    No.

As boys we used to free dive off jetty into a 4m deep water, completely black except for the little light on the end of the jetty, long way away. Complete sensory deprivation.

That was enough.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

It's done with torches.

Anyway, don't you watch movies? We all know that whenever anyone dives into the water, drives into the water, crashes into the water, whatever, at night time or daytime, cloudy or sunny, all becomes clear and everything lights up, magically! So why wasn't it like that off your jetty?

Rick

No, we used to do it at night off the Brighton Jetty in SA.
    Grateful Dead

At school I had a friend who was really into cave diving. He came back from a weekend in Cumbria, and told me about his latest adventure.

He and a friend went along a very narrow underwater channel, for like a hundred meters... He said they had to take their tanks off and push them in front of them..and also turn their heads sideways to get through. Once past that they came to an enormous chamber... As big as a large church interior he said. No air at the top, still, crystal clear water. Total darkness apart from their head lamps.

At this point my friend started a severe nosebleed... Which of course filled his mask. He swallowed quite a bit, and this induced vomitting. He lost his reg, his mask and his bearings. Blood and vomit clouding the water... He panicked, until his buddy found his reg and jammed it in his mouth. Then he found his mask for him.

They continued for for some time to explore, and then swam out. He couldn't wait for the next dive he said.

To each their own..

If the ex-pat has never been arrested for or even charged with pedophilia then Elon Musk just bought himself a lot of trouble.
    I hate to bring Trump but it was a very Trumpish thing to say.

Thai artists have painted a giant mural in celebration of the rescue and in honour of the diver who died.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBldPwiIr4

I'm watching a special documentary on the rescue. Even though I know the result the tension is quite strong. What a bl**dy amazing thing they all did.

Did we, or did we not scoop the media?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

eh? Who cares…………..

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I'm watching a special documentary on the rescue. Even though I know the result the tension is quite strong. What a bl**dy amazing thing they all did.
    True Heroes, that much over used word.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    eh? Who cares…………..
    Hello, who's this being negative? Oh, hi Jeff.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

So, since one person appears to care: We did not scoop the media.

The first thread on this - http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...t=#post5610382 - was posted on July 2 at 0101 and linked the CNN (that's media, I believe) story.

The second thread, this one, posted on July 3 at 1626, did not link to but contained material from AP. Again, simply relaying what was already out from various media.

What we did here - both threads - for our community was rather like what this Forum did for us on that horrible September 11 - members of the Forum faithfully funneled diverse media reports rapidly to members of this Forum, making it easy for us to be about as well informed as anyone. This Forum has some false material put up but that gets disputed and people can weigh out competing views to come to a likely approxomation of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    So, since one person appears to care: We did not scoop the media.

The first thread on this - http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...t=#post5610382 - was posted on July 2 at 0101 and linked the CNN (that's media, I believe) story.

The second thread, this one, posted on July 3 at 1626, did not link to but contained material from AP. Again, simply relaying what was already out from various media.

What we did here - both threads - for our community was rather like what this Forum did for us on that horrible September 11 - members of the Forum faithfully funneled diverse media reports rapidly to members of this Forum, making it easy for us to be about as well informed as anyone. This Forum has some false material put up but that gets disputed and people can weigh out competing views to come to a likely approxomation of reality.
    Well said.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    If true Elon Musk has seriously gone down in my estimation.
    https://www.news.com.au/technology/b...9a952a636fccd2

Kiss your UK car sales goodbye, Musk.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Kiss your UK car sales goodbye, Musk.
    True heroes go about their business differently :

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/c...dows-fkl7lj53w

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Hello, who's this being negative? Oh, hi Jeff.
    I agree with Jeff, who broke the story is trivia, it’s what happened that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I agree with Jeff, who broke the story is trivia, it’s what happened that is important.
    I wasn't referring to the original story. I was referring to the technique used to get them out.

Once again, social media had it well before the idiot reporters on scene.

Hey, this isn't about us, or who was first at anything. Enough please.

The ABC documentary last night included an interview with the anaesthetist's partner who was also involved in preparing the kids for their dives. He said the kids were heavily sedated but I got the impression they weren't unconscious. Every diver involved was concerned that any panic would be fatal so sedation seems like a really good option to me!

Really good documentary.

Rick