Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost soccer team found alive in cave

Default Re: Lost soccer team found alive in cave

This successful rescue should provide a real psychological lift for the remaining boys.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    อีก 9 ชีวิต ยังอยู่ที่"เนินนมสาว" - จะเปิดปฏิบัติการต่อเมื่อพร้อม น่าจะราวๆ 10 กว่า ชม.จากนี้
    ขอบคุณมากทำไมคุณเป็นคนตาบอด สุภาพคุณพูดภาษาไทยได้อย่างไร

Evidently they had air bottles all along the route and getting 4 out used up all the resources. The diver who died was doing that job.

I'm listening to a breakdown of the logistics involved, which may need a way to boost the oxygen levels in the unflooded areas to make it possible to work in them. There are evidently dozens of people in the caves which uses oxygen even as they prepare for the next stage of rescue.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-08-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Too many helpers, and hangers on. 90 divers? WTF. There must be a couple of thousand people on site by now. Must be a nightmare for the guys at the pointy end. And the bloody media can't even work out whether it's 6 or 4 that got out so far. Send the whole bloody lot of them back to town where they can continue their ignorant speculation and let the rescue team get on with it,

They would need a lot of divers. Cave water is cold so they'd have to keep recycling support divers. They also need loads of stage tanks and they'd need to be replenished. I think even the support crew in the dry sections are probably divers as they need to dive to get to those sections.

Rick

As I understand it, there are quite a few dry sections and shallow sections in this passage. So, when divers go through for the rescue or to lay stage tanks, they need to lug gear through those sections. It's heavy gear and hard to move in, especially when you've been swimming against the current. I'd say the rescue divers would be very glad to have plenty of help through those sections.

Rick

The other thing to remember is that many of the divers have already been involved for several days and it's likely that the rescue will take a few more days. So, of the 90 or so divers, there are probably only about 30 directly engaged at. any one time.

Rick

The divers actually beat Elon to it.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

can't speak for all, but I'd take my chances with drowning before I'd climb into that tube..

'course, I wouldn't be in a cave - so there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    can't speak for all, but I'd take my chances with drowning before I'd climb into that tube..

I'm not a huge fan of caving, but I've been in plenty. I backed out of one in Vietnam that got a bit too squeezy for my liking.

The thing to remember about these kids is that they spent 10 days in there in total darkness before contact was made. I think that'd make you more interested in any option for getting out.

I was in a party of six in a cave in New Zealand when we lost our light.... but that was only a 600 metre cave with no getting lost along the way. Pitch black takes on a whole new meaning when you are underground without light. The brightest thing in our group was the markings on my watch face... which the others followed as I groped my way upstream to the other cave entrance.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post

Can't imagine wanting to get into something like that either but ..... we get into planes, lifts etc. I think a bag or tube like that could be good, especially in a situation where panic or injury against sharp rocks etc. is such a risk. It would have to be flexible and pretty bullet proof.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Can't imagine wanting to get into something like that either but ..... we get into planes, lifts etc. I think a bag or tube like that could be good, especially in a situation where panic or injury against sharp rocks etc. is such a risk. It would have to be flexible and pretty bullet proof.

Rick
    I can't vouch for those photos. I'd say it's a good chance that they might be real. I sometimes get some pretty weird stuff sent to me though.... sometimes genuine (eg a gunfight with separatists in West Papua), sometimes fake.

It seems reasonable, especially if the child was sedated first.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

That water is pretty clear with no kicked up mud......
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    That water is pretty clear with no kicked up mud......
    R
    That's what made me wonder, but it might be like that in the first part of it... until they move downstream. I've seen some footage definitely taken in there that has had clear water.

edited to add. I've just looked up the location of the cave. I went right past it a couple of years ago. Better to describe it as at Mai Sai, rather than Chiang Rai (which is the capital of the province its in). Mai Sai is the border town with Myanmar. The cave is only a couple of km... or less... from the Myanmar border. Chiang Rai is about 60 km away.
    Last edited by The Bigfella; 07-09-2018 at 05:20 AM.

There seems to be a flow so perhaps the muddy water flows out slowly.
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Six out so far

BBC still talking only about the first four, mentioning a fifth recently but saying it could be someone else needing hospital treatment, a rescuer I suppose. I hope they are wrong...
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Some members of the press seem a little over keen to get a scoop…………………...

Yes, there's been a lot of that. ABC's now saying there are 7 boys out now but who knows what that might be based on? I heard that the media were not allowed near the cave now. I do hope it's right though!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Yes, there's been a lot of that. ABC's now saying there are 7 boys out now but who knows what that might be based on? I heard that the media were not allowed near the cave now. I do hope it's right though!

Rick
    Uncle Rupert's ahead of the ABC. 8

Getting new shots of them being loaded into choppers as they come out.

BeeB now saying today two confirmed another two probably but not yet confirmed...so eight.....looking good
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

It looks like they are quite concerned about infections. Bats, etc. We lost a few people in Oz from lyssavirus (sp?) carried by flying foxes (big bats).

Let's hope it is 8! Amazing work!

Rick

The BeeB is now confirming 4 more, just four and the coach to retrieve now.
    The Thai Navy Seals leading the rescue operation have confirmed that eight boys in total have been extracted.
    Four boys and their football coach remain inside the caves.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Yes, the ABC is saying authorities have confirmed the number tonight and that the rescue will resume again tomorrow. So I guess they'll be aiming to extract the remaining 5 tomorrow. Brilliant work by everyone involved by the look of it!

Rick

Meanwhile, 200 people drown in floods in Japan, was it Japan or somewhere else? Not being critical, I'm as fascinated by the cave drama as anyone else. But why does this get so much more attention than other issues? Kids? The knife edge balance I suppose, we hope they all live, fear they may die and it really could go either way. It's more gripping than a report of people already dead in a huge flood, or of a search for possible survivors, who might exist, but might not. It's a pity the media coverage has been so appalling. And people bemoan the fact that mainstream media is losing currency. It's because they are hopeless at what they do.Now I'm being critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Meanwhile, 200 people drown in floods in Japan, was it Japan or somewhere else? Not being critical, I'm as fascinated by the cave drama as anyone else. But why does this get so much more attention than other issues? Kids? The knife edge balance I suppose, we hope they all live, fear they may die and it really could go either way. It's more gripping than a report of people already dead in a huge flood, or of a search for possible survivors, who might exist, but might not. It's a pity the media coverage has been so appalling. And people bemoan the fact that mainstream media is losing currency. It's because they are hopeless at what they do.Now I'm being critical.
    You make a good point but there is drama and young boys here which ,makes it a story to tug at heart strings, tugged mine having had boys.

One is a report of events that already happened. News to many, but really, it's history by the time it's broadcast.

The other is a story still in progress. The result remains to be seen.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I think Kevin's right on that.

BTW... I've now seen a photo on the mainstream media that supports the one I posted a couple of days ago. We might have scooped the media (again).

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I think Kevin's right on that.

BTW... I've now seen a photo on the mainstream media that supports the one I posted a couple of days ago. We might have scooped the media (again).
    Everything I've read says that the boys are not in any type of bag but are free swimming tethered to a lead diver with a second diver trailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Remember when three whales were trapped in the ice and the international effort that went into rescuing them?
    A question at the time was would there have been as much interest if it had been three boars trapped in a bog in Poland?
    I think the difference is the situation...floods happen but the thought of twelve boys dying in the dark of a cave triggers the nurture nerve.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V. View Post
    Everything I've read says that the boys are not in any type of bag but are free swimming tethered to a lead diver with a second diver trailing.
    Yes, I haven't heard anything about any bag or capsule actually being used. There's been a lot of speculation and incorrect reporting. It'll be fascinating to find out the details when it's all over. Let's hope we get more good news tonight. I'm just so impressed with these rescuers but so sorry that one died.

Rick