Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost soccer team found alive in cave

Default Re: Lost soccer team found alive in cave

Out in the middle of the plain about 10 k from the coastal cliffs. A small enough hole at the surface, winched down on a wire. We found Thylacene and Tassie Devil bones. I think megafauna remains were found also but not when I was there. About 1963 I reckon.
    I cannot give you any better directions. I might add the deepest I have ever been is about 180ft. 57 meters, on oxygen/helium. in Piccaninnie.

I haven't read how deep the water is but as a kid diving off the jetty at night into black water and then sitting on the bottom about 4m down is the closest I can come to imagining the requirements .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I did my first 'night dive' in about 6ft of water on a clear sandy bottom wearing a black out mask. I was terrified.
    Sorry, thread drift. Not for this subject I think.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Four hundred feet down? Where?

Divers don't hold their breath these days. We always fit long hoses so that connection to air is not interrupted. The only time you hold your breath is for an instant when switching stage tanks. Not holding your breath is a firm rule and really drilled in in good training. Extremely important in all low visibility diving situations but a lifesaving rule in any diving really.

The news media here have been 'reporting' that the kids will have to dive down, through a squeeze, and swim up while holding their breath. That's total nonsense. No cave diver would have any part of that. They will use long hoses and keep the kids connected to air at all times.

Rick
    The water is not four hundred feet deep, the water table is some distance down from the surface.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Around 60m is the deepest I've been too but I've never mixed gases. These days you cannot go into any cave dive site without CDA qualification and if you go below 40m in any cave dive site, you lose CDA accreditation. There's actually a sign at the 40m mark in Piccaninnie Ponds to remind you of that .... All the sites in the Mt Gambier area were closed for many years following deaths in Piccs, Kilsby's, The Shaft and, I think, a couple of other sites. It was only through the formation of the CDA and its strict training regime that these sites have been reopened. It's working - I think there's only been one death in the last 10 years or so (?) and that, I think, was a solo diver mapping penetration limits in Tank Cave. She was a very highly regarded diver.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I did my first 'night dive' in about 6ft of water on a clear sandy bottom wearing a black out mask. I was terrified.
    Sorry, thread drift. Not for this subject I think.
    Agreed, I just wanted people to realise how dangerous the procedure is. The rule for air is, or was one third in one third out and one third reserve.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The water is not four hundred feet deep, the water table is some distance down from the surface.
    I understand what you meant but I didn't think the Nullarbor caves were that deep anywhere. I read somewhere that they were 90m deep at their deepest point. Doesn't matter, not arguing ..... just wondering. While we wait.

Rick

Such hopes have now vanished, replaced instead with a mounting sense of urgency. People at the large makeshift camp that now surrounds the caves liken the mood to that of a hostage situation.

Dark clouds drift ominously overhead. Weather forecasters predict heavy rains Saturday evening and throughout the week.

The chamber in which the boys are located is no longer thought safe. Even if they are given enough food to wait out the rainy season, there is no guarantee that the ledge they are sitting on will not be submerged.

There are no easy decisions. But with the flood waters expected to rise in the coming days, a decision will have to be made soon.

"The teams there will have a tipping point where they have to make that call to bring them out. To leave them there would almost certainly result in them drowning," said one British mining engineer and experienced cave diver, who did not wish to be named due to the sensitivity of the subject..

CNN.

I keep thinking of a merchant ship adage - "People panic in their own language".
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Here's prayers, smoke, thoughts, good vibes and more that they may be successful.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Let's hope so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently 18 divers have gone in and it's planned that each kid will hang on to a lead diver through the flooded sections. I'm guessing they'll have them tethered as if the kid lets go, the diver wouldn't find him. If all's well, the first ones could emerge some time after 9pm Thai time tonight as it takes a minimum of 6 hours to reach the chamber and 5 hours to return. They won't be rushing.

There must be plenty of news sites following this live. I use Australian ABC News which is running a blog. There's not much news yet though as I don't think there's any communication now between the rescue team and the surface.

Rick

It'll be a miracle if everyone makes it out, let alone alive. I wish I was still a praying man.
    I'll just take my chances with those salt water joys.

AR

First two reported to be out
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Hooray!

One Thai source now saying three. Looking good.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Well, certainly 2 out already - fantastic!

Rick

Live: Thai cave rescue of 12 trapped schoolboys and football coach underway

Rescuers have helped the first of the boys' soccer team make the 4-kilometre journey to freedom.
    The boys were freed about three hours earlier than originally anticipated, with the operation to free the rest still underway.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-0...minent/9948472'

Boys four and five are in the dry walk area (third chamber - as good as out) - probably the strongest of the kids to be brought out first, so they can fine tune the process for the weaker ones

awesome!

something we can all celebrate!!!

Awesome!!!!!!

May ALL the boys AND the rescue team make it out safe!!!

One of those 5 in critical condition.

Wonderful news !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

It's a great start.

Can't vouch for that shot, in this age of faux news.

Only four confirmed as being out, so far.

อีก 9 ชีวิต ยังอยู่ที่"เนินนมสาว" - จะเปิดปฏิบัติการต่อเมื่อพร้อม น่าจะราวๆ 10 กว่า ชม.จากนี้

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    อีก 9 ชีวิต ยังอยู่ที่"เนินนมสาว" - จะเปิดปฏิบัติการต่อเมื่อพร้อม น่าจะราวๆ 10 กว่า ชม.จากนี้
    Another 9 lives still at the "mound" - will open when the action will be about 10 hours from now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    is that the Mini Sub?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post

wow incredible images with lives in the balance...

Back down to four officially, reuters seem to have got it wrong about six, but fantastic news, 0300hrs gmt for the next try may the stars shine on them all.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell