Page 1 of 8 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost soccer team found alive in cave

Default Lost soccer team found alive in cave

A great result in Chiang Mai.

Video emerges of the moment the lost Thai cave boys are found

In this video grab by the Thai Navy Seals, the boys can be seen sitting on a wedge of dry ground above the flood waters. Picture: Thai Navy Seal via AP/.

Twelve boys and their football coach who had been missing for more than a week in a cave in northern Thailand have been found alive.

The boys, aged 11 to 16, and their 25-year-old coach disappeared when flooding trapped them after they entered Tham Luang Nang Non cave on June 23.

Video released by the Thai navy late on Monday local time (Tuesday morning AEST) showed the boys in their football kits sitting on a dry area inside the cave above the water as a spotlight, apparently from a rescuer, illuminated their faces.

In the five-minute navy video, the boys are quiet as they sit down with their legs bent in front of them. They are clad in the kits they apparently were wearing on the morning they disappeared in the cave.

“How many of you?” asks one of the rescuers, a British diver. (AHEM - sounded Aussie to me)

“Thirteen,” someone replies. “Thirteen? Brilliant,” the rescuer responds.

“You are very strong,” he tells the boys. One of the boys asks what day it is, and the rescuer responds, “Monday. Monday. You have been here 10 days”.
    He urges the group to stay calm and says “many, many people are coming … we are the first”.

Search and rescue teams, including Australian Federal Police officers with cave diving experience, and Thai Navy Seals have been involved with the marathon search, the largest ever conducted in Thailand.

Thai rescue teams walk inside cave complex searching for the lost boys. Picture: Tham Luang Rescue Operation Center via AP.

Rescuers had hoped they would find safety on a ledge in an underground chamber nicknamed Pattaya Beach but they were found 400m away having moved to higher ground to avoid the rising water.

Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osatanakorn said the 13 were being rescued but warned they were not out of danger yet.

“We found them safe. But the operation isn’t over,” he said. “When the medics have evaluated the kids to see if their health is in good condition, we will care for them until they have enough strength to move by themselves, and then we will evaluate the situation on bringing them out again later.”

Family members of the missing hugged each other as they cheered the news. Rescue divers had spent much of Monday making preparations for a final push to locate the group.

In addition to the divers, teams have been working to pump out water as well as divert groundwater. Other efforts have focused on finding shafts on the mountainside that might serve as a back door to the blocked-off areas. Teams have also been combing the mountainside looking for fissure that might lead to shafts.

Family members celebrate when they hear their boys have been found alive. Picture: AFP.

The Australian team had joined forces with 11 Chinese rescue experts, up to 32 US forces personnel, three British divers and a British cave expert as well as rescue teams from Myanmar and Laos.

And following the boys’ discovery, Thailand’s prime minister Prayuth Chan-ocha thanked the international experts who had helped in the search. His office said the PM “wishes to thank the tremendous efforts of all international units that have come to assist the Thai authorities in rescuing the youth football team that was stuck in the caves in Chiang Rai. The Royal Thai Government and the Thai people are grateful for this support and co-operation, and we all wish the team a safe and speedy recovery”.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Default Re: Lost soccer team found alive in cave

Not the first such episode with this cave, correct? Wonder if they will take steps to ensure no repeats.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I be if they sent more search teams to look into those caves they may find a few ratty formites in the deeper recesses. My guess they would be way to gone to rehabilitate or let alone bring back to a normal life.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

wow great news!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I be if they sent more search teams to look into those caves they may find a few ratty formites in the deeper recesses. My guess they would be way to gone to rehabilitate or let alone bring back to a normal life.
    We'd have to keep them in the Bilge, where they would seem normal.

Great news indeed.

Odd place to play soccer.

I've been watching this. It's a real cockle warmer. Vids of the families show them going nuts.

I don't think they had anything to eat for 10 days. I hope they will be all right.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I don't think they had anything to eat for 10 days. I hope they will be all right.
    They seemed to be fine in the video.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Last night I would have not put money on that result.
    How fantastic that is.

Well, they have found them but they're still underground with a whole lot of muddy water to dive through to get out unless someone finds a dry exit somewhere. The underwater passage that has to be negotiated is very narrow, there's no visibility and it's so long that the rescuers have laid stage tanks along the way so that they can get through. If they need to take these kids out through the water, it's going to be very risky, with the likelihood of panic very high. Being from Thailand, there's a good chance the kids won't even be swimmers and it looks like they'll need to be dive trained and then have to swim through a very long, totally blind, underwater passage to get out. They'll have to have good buoyancy control and a whole lot of nerve to do it. Unless the cave can be pumped out or another exit is found. This amazing story certainly ain't over yet!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Does anyone read threads that have "Trump" in them?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Does anyone read threads that have "Trump" in them?
    a bridge too far

I've always thought there should only be one Trump thread.

Rick

Back to topic, it is amazing they found them alive after 10 days! Now to get them out and back to health...

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Well, they have found them but they're still underground with a whole lot of muddy water to dive through to get out unless someone finds a dry exit somewhere. The underwater passage that has to be negotiated is very narrow, there's no visibility and it's so long that the rescuers have laid stage tanks along the way so that they can get through. If they need to take these kids out through the water, it's going to be very risky, with the likelihood of panic very high. Being from Thailand, there's a good chance the kids won't even be swimmers and it looks like they'll need to be dive trained and then have to swim through a very long, totally blind, underwater passage to get out. They'll have to have good buoyancy control and a whole lot of nerve to do it. Unless the cave can be pumped out or another exit is found. This amazing story certainly ain't over yet!

Rick
    More rain is on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    More rain is on the way.
    For two or three months. It's wet season.

They are talking of getting them out today, because of fears that the water level may rise. Some talk of taking them out as 'inert packages' because of the risk of panic. These boys evidently cannot even swim.

I wondered if that might be the best way but it would be tricky technically. If a kid is unconscious, someone would have to ensure that he's breathing all the way through the passage, and there's no visibility and diving breathing apparatus is all demand breathing. Any hitch at all and the child would die. I wonder if they might put each child in a sealed bag of some sort that might contain enough air? They could sedate the child to reduce panic risk rather than knock them out. I think I heard that they found a less restricted passage through so that improves the options.

Rick

I have done a little cave diving for a museum, before I became more sensible and took up skiing instead. It was interesting but not enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I have done a little cave diving for a museum, before I became more sensible and took up skiing instead. It was interesting but not enjoyable.
    Combine breathing underwater with being under tons of earth, nothing about that sounds like lots of fun. Does sound interesting, though.

Word from a mate at the scene is that the trapped cave kids thought the UK divers had swum all the way from the UK.

Cave dive training is very technical and interesting. Of course the idea is spooky but when you learn and adhere to the protocols, it's not so spooky. Familiarity and lack of focus become the greater dangers over time. This rescue is really difficult - akin to submarine rescue.

Rick

Hmm, they are looking for a dry cave nearby that they could tunnel too and shelter in as the probability of casualties trying to dive them out is too high. Trying to trace a cool air flow where they are. The surface drilling rig hit impossibly hard rock.
    It may well be months.

Months with the possibility of rising floodwaters doesn't sound like a good option at all. I'd have thought with some basic training and familiarisation a very closely guided buddy dive would be clearly the best option. They don't have to be trained as cave divers. Just hold on breathe and stay calm. These are 12 year old football players we are talking about and they've already survived 11 days underground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anxiety levels would already be very high. People with no familiarity of water, let alone underground water, are highly likely to panic. If a person panics in a cave dive, the lines used for guidance get tangled, and everyone dies. Without the guidelines, you can't tell which way is which. Up can lead to a trap and there's no way of determining which way you are headed. Cave systems are full of false passages. Have you ever tried to restrain a panicking 15 year old kid? Imagine that underwater, in a passage surrounded by probably sharp, eroded limestone, with no visibility, only guidelines leading to your next air source, and no way of finding your own air source if you lose connection with it, let alone trying to relocate the kid's air source if he's lost it. Apparently, this passage includes a squeeze where you can't go through with tanks. So the diver and the kid would have to take off their tanks, pass them through to another diver on the other side of the squeeze, then squeeze through, and put the gear back on. All blind. I think they would have to be trained as cave divers. But maybe they could be sedated and effectively dragged through. I have no idea how safe that would be.

I think I'd be exploring every other option.

By the way, a site with ongoing loss of visibility, adverse current and squeezes, would not be a permitted cave dive site, even for the most experienced and qualified cave divers. The divers who found these kids are ...... amazing!

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 07-04-2018 at 04:50 AM.

All true Rick. And breathing with SCUBA gear is very odd to start with. Youd want to do quite a few familiarisation dives before going for real. Plenty of battery powered lights. clipped to a guideline I suppose? The squeeze does sound tricky. Presumably you can still wear a mask on a long hose to get through that. But would the kids need training in all aspects of cave diving? I dont reckon. You wouldnt want to lose one though would you. But months in there waiting for the water to recede, and maybe being overwhelmed by flooding? Doesnt sound like a good option. I appreciate that I know nothing about cave diving and am just throwing up ill informed speculation.

This is a site in NSW that has a squeeze right at the entrance so it's a clear example of what squeezes are like. This one is submerged when the water table is higher

http://www.cavedivers.com.au/mccavity

Rick

They wouldn't need training in all aspects of cave diving - just the most difficult bits! Yes, they might have no other option, in which case they're all going to need really good training!! Even with that, the dive option is very risky and they could have deaths. No injuries, just deaths. So, they're right to explore every other option because losing even one life is not acceptable. If they do have to dive and this is done successfully, it will be the most outstanding rescue I've ever known. As I said earlier, I think it's as technically and physically demanding as a submarine rescue or an Everest retrieval - but with a bunch of really scared kids.

Rick

I'm quite claustrophobic and the thought of squeezing myself through a narrow rock passage many hundreds of meters underground gives me the heebie-jeebies. Thinking about doing it underwater is terrifying. People who cave dive for fun are a different kind of folk.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Thread drift.

In Central America some of the best places to cave dive are on the US's doorstep.
    The place is basically hollow underneath with stalagmites that date back to the ice age when the sea was nearly 200ft lower.
    cave diving central america

Zero relationship with this situation

Yeah…………..

Yeah, you are right