Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Tammie Norrie “Brisbane Find” Questions

Default Re: Tammie Norrie “Brisbane Find” Questions

Had a good afternoon working on the Tamie after getting sidetracked by our two bathroom renovation and other projects the last three weeks.
    Dagger board case installed ,as well cap rails stained and one coat of varnish applied.

[IMG][/IMG]

After spending well over one hour sanding and fairing the inside of the hull I simply closed my eyes to some of the rough epoxy work done by the builder and proceeded to prime .
    After all she will not be a show boat but a craft used for rowing sailing and fishing including crabbing and occasionally as a dinghy for Wee Barkie.

Also sighting up the daggerboard case it apears to be not perfectly plumb and square in a fore and aft direction.which reminds me I should have used a centre line and used measurements from that for my DB slot ,rather than laying out the case measurements by using the centre of the keelson which apears to have not been installed accurately.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 11-06-2018 at 02:48 AM.

As a wood butcher and amateur boat builder I am grateful my memory is not what it used to be. Otherwise I would have known better than spent the better part of six hours cutting lining up and fitting finally then epoxied two NG Rosewood thwart supports.

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    After spending well over one hour sanding and fairing the inside of the hull I simply closed my eyes to some of the rough epoxy work done by the builder and proceeded to prime .
    After all she will not be a show boat but a craft used for rowing sailing and fishing including crabbing and occasionally as a dinghy for Wee Barkie.

Also sighting up the daggerboard case it apears to be not perfectly plumb and square in a fore and aft direction.which reminds me I should have used a centre line and used measurements from that for my DB slot ,rather than laying out the case measurements by using the centre of the keelson which apears to have not been installed accurately.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Nice shot.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Nice shot.
    This is my favourite picture.

[IMG][/IMG]

Just scored a couple of pieces of furniture grade Australian Red Cedar which will become the two thwarts. Since our Cedar is a softwood similar to Western Cedar I cut some mouldings to protect the ends.
    To date the only expenditures have been around 50 for epoxy and the ARC,with most other building materials scavenged out of the previously used pile or bartered.
    I am hopefull to splash” TT Wee Barkie Dec 1 ,the name mainly used as a loophole in our boat registration regulations which exempt yacht tenders from boat registration .

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 11-23-2018 at 01:15 AM.

Just as well I didn’t keep track of my hours spent so far because they must be creeping up rapidly toward one hundred hours.
    Two thwarts fitted daggerboard case framed in and mast partner in place.

The aft seat configuration is still challenging me ,after finnally making the decision of following the Tammie design I found my rough sawn Australian Cedar to be one inch short for the side boards.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking good Tom. Im not sure what the design calls for in the stern, but it looks like you have the side thwarts going right to the transom, or maybe an inch short. If you take your aft thwart right across to the hull sides, does that allow shorter side boards?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Looking good Tom. Im not sure what the design calls for in the stern, but it looks like you have the side thwarts going right to the transom, or maybe an inch short. If you take your aft thwart right across to the hull sides, does that allow shorter side boards?
    Yes Unfortunatley that is what I will have to do, wich will make the configuration look more boxed in and not as elegant.

She's taking shape...looking good!

Ken

Yes Unfortunatley that is what I will have to do, wich will make the configuration look more boxed in and not as elegant.

I don't really understand. That's how my Acorn is done and it looks great. Structurally better too I would venture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    A rather nice Tammie.

That is the aft cockpit configuration I was hoping to achieve Phil.
    Thanks Ken.

Ahh, now I see. On mine the thwarts are all solid. So you have a plank for the centre thwart. A plank either side, which is glued to the aft face of the centre thwart and the forward face of the aft thwart. The aft thwart is actually 2 planks. But the whole lot is a solid assembly. I'd post a pic but there are 2 half built dinghys sitting on top,of it, all in the back of the shed somewhere.

As they say one can never have enough clamps.
    Might be launching this weekend with a few bits missing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As they say one can never have enough clamps.
    Might be launching this weekend with a few bits missing.

[IMG][/IMG]

And that is what happens when you pull the clamps of prematurely while cutting corners and just using straight epoxy.

Probably should have made the laminations longer and tried to cut two knees per lamination thereby also not having so much waste.

Rectifying the last of previous builders mistakes, with an offset keel. Not all that bad because I have the opportunity to stiffen up the DB case.

I am also leveling the keel and laminating a strip of hardwood which will prevent sand chafe particularly in the front section which is Oregon..

[IMG]upload image for website[/IMG]

Tried an old spare Mirror rig on Sunday which is undersized for the Tammie,but came to the conclusion that a lugsail will be much easier to handle.

[IMG][/IMG]

Doesn't get easier than a lug rig, plenty of grunt without sailing on her ear, and they even get to windward in a respectable fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Doesn't get easier than a lug rig, plenty of grunt without sailing on her ear, and they even get to windward in a respectable fashion.
    Fully battened cambered Chinese lug rig.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    My old Ness boat had a lug rig and I always appreciated its simplicity in rigging and sailing.

Gary I actually toyed with the idea of using an old clapped out fully battened 16’ skiff sail ,which may also present the opportunity and additional bonus of rigging the boat without a boom.

My old Ness boat had a lug rig and I always appreciated its simplicity in rigging and sailing.

Gary I actually toyed with the idea of using an old clapped out fully battened 16’ skiff sail ,which may also present the opportunity and additional bonus of rigging the boat without a boom.
    I was thinking junk rig...it doesn’t get much easier than that

Looks like I will end up with a well traveled lug rig.

A lug rig is a junk rig with all the complexity removed...

My used timber pile is close to being exhausted .Despite having to buy a second piece of timber I count myself lucky living in this country where a 7’ piece of spotted gum flooring sells for just over $13.

[IMG][/IMG]

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Despite postponing the sea trials I am happy with the end result of leveling and reinforcing the hogged keel along with the daggerboard case using some laminated spotted gum strips.

Thanks Peter for the reefing video.
    Will you be adding flotation bags to Jim and if have you found a good source.?

Personally I have never used bags and I do not like their visual aspect, however since I am already planning a bar crossing with a short trip planned they might be a good idea.

[IMG]fallout 3 vault list[/IMG]

Just love those old bronze fittings all I needed to do was drill out the ends of the old riveted copper boat nails and I am on my way to having a mast for the Tammie . Plus hopefully some cash towards modifying the lug sale I inherited from Geoff who passed it on to Peter Sibley. Thanks guys.

[IMG][/IMG]

Gwen 12 rudder is attached with only minimal wood butchery, the rudder guddgens where modified deck fittings from a small Highfield lever.

[IMG][/IMG]