Thread: Something worth watching, on Netflix

Default Something worth watching, on Netflix

There's no question about it: the Brits make some of the best TV drama, ever.... and especially, the kind of shows that could be called 'cop procedural dramas'.

One in particular is especially good, IMHO... 'Marcella', starring Anna Friel. The second season was recently released... but if you didn't see the first season, I strongly suggest that you invest the time and binge-watch the first season, before moving on... the two seasons are interlinked in terms of plot as well as character development.

Anna Friel stars as Marcella Backland, a detective with the London police. She's an imperfect, flawed person, with ghosts in her own closet, a failing marriage, and the propensity to black out and lose pieces of time... but she's dogged in terms of her pursuit of murderers.

Part of what makes the show so great is the fact that the plot twists contain more McGuffins than the entire Alfred Hitchcock catalog.... it's often hard to see what events and evidence are part of the investigation, or are just peripheral and coincidentally related.

'Marcella' joins a litany of really outstanding dramas from the Brits.... 'Sherlock', 'Happy Valley', 'Shetland', 'River', and many others. 'Happy Valley', in particular, was outstanding... riveting plot, lots of tension, and some really superb acting.

Highly recommended!
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Something worth watching, on Netflix

Would also recommend Foley's War
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    We enjoyed the first season of Marcella. Had no idea a second season was released, thanks for the tip.

We've been enjoying a variety of "Nordic Noir" and similar mystery series over the past few months, all good:

The Fall - Icelandic
    The Sniffer - Ukraine (plenty of humor due to the hero's exceptional sense of smell)
    Dicte - Belgium
    Case - Icelandic
    Hotel Beau Sejour - Belgium
    Border Town -Finland

We're currently looking forward to the last episode of "The Bridge" - Danish/ Swedish, but that's on DVD. We stream and do DVD's too. We don't mind subtitles.

There are other titles that we've ferretted out. I'm almost worried that we'll run out of all of this good stuff too quickly.
    I have a hard time getting into the ones that are not English-speaking.... but I should give them a try. 'Shetland' was great, but it took a lot of concentration to get over the strong Scottish accents.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

There’s a terrific series called Ozark starring Jason Bateman and Laura Linney. Bateman plays an accountant winds up laundering money for a cartel. Things don’t go well. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    There's no question about it: the Brits make some of the best TV drama, ever.... and especially, the kind of shows that could be called 'cop procedural dramas'.

One in particular is especially good, IMHO... 'Marcella', starring Anna Friel. The second season was recently released... but if you didn't see the first season, I strongly suggest that you invest the time and binge-watch the first season, before moving on... the two seasons are interlinked in terms of plot as well as character development.

Anna Friel stars as Marcella Backland, a detective with the London police. She's an imperfect, flawed person, with ghosts in her own closet, a failing marriage, and the propensity to black out and lose pieces of time... but she's dogged in terms of her pursuit of murderers.

Part of what makes the show so great is the fact that the plot twists contain more McGuffins than the entire Alfred Hitchcock catalog.... it's often hard to see what events and evidence are part of the investigation, or are just peripheral and coincidentally related.

'Marcella' joins a litany of really outstanding dramas from the Brits.... 'Sherlock', 'Happy Valley', 'Shetland', 'River', and many others. 'Happy Valley', in particular, was outstanding... riveting plot, lots of tension, and some really superb acting.

Highly recommended!
    Shetland is in heavy rotation at our house. Ditto for Happy Valley and several others from British TV.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I hope you caught Prime Suspect, which really put Helen Mirren on the map. Talk about a multi-layered, complicated police woman.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I hope you caught Prime Suspect, which really put Helen Mirren on the map. Talk about a multi-layered, complicated police woman.
    Yeah, no question, 'Prime Suspect' was perhaps the best of ALL the Brit 'cop procedural' shows.... a bit dated now, of course, and rather old... shot in 4:3 format on film, at least for the first few seasons... but it's one that I plan to re-watch.

My understanding is that 'Happy Valley' will be coming back for a 3rd season soon....

In case folks don't know if you have Amazon Prime you can add Acorn to it pretty cheap. Gives you lots of British shows.

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=DVM_PDS...ode=2858778011
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Anna Friel's done some great work on the legit stage. I'd love to see the series, but it doesn't show up as available on DVD (and our satellite connection buggers streaming).

We're enjoying Grantchester and a Danish political drama, Borgen.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Anna Friel's done some great work on the legit stage. I'd love to see the series, but it doesn't show up as available on DVD (and our satellite connection buggers streaming).

We're enjoying Grantchester and a Danish political drama, Borgen.
    Yeah, Grantchester was pretty good, too!

Poldark (now showing season 2 on Oz FTA) is exceptional.
    Xanthorrea

Worricker is really good. Only three episodes I think. Loved Kenneth Branagh as the Swedish cop. Can’t remember his name. After years of Morse, Lewis and Barnaby the newer crop, RIVER, DCI JONES are really brutal. Foley’s war is good but someone needs to get with Foley on flycasting.

Absolutely loved West Wing.

I'm not on 'Stranger Things'. At first I thought it was going to be a low-rent, cartoonish mashup of Stand By Me & X-Files... but after 3 episodes, I'm impressed.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I tried watching it but have to say I didn't make it through the first episode and turned it off. I'm just at a stage in my life where I'm sick of the murder, blood, guts, and gore that is being offered up in the form of entertainment. My mind is better off without it.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Just nearing the end of Ken's Burn's American 'Civil War'.
    oldie but a goodie.

Brings to mind the statue controversy many months ago - why was it so controversial?
    Those guys orchestrated an unnecessary war, in defense of the indefensible and caused the cruel deaths of hundreds of thousands of American men. How could it possibly come to a discussion on whether they deserve statues erected to them or not? Obscene.

I watched the entire Vikings series a few months ago.
    I saw a couple of shows when it first came out but i couldn't commit to them when i saw they'd put the 'Stoerbord' on the wrong side!
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

90% of what is on Netflix is mediocre at best, and junk at worst

Esp. their sorry excuses for documentaries when so many great ones are out there.

Their own products are especially weak