Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something to keep you awake

Default Re: Something to keep you awake

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    Do you really imagine that with the arrogance of an LE - FBI, even - manipulating public figures he was referring to 'we, the people'? This, is why we "can't have nice things". I do agree, tho, that Comey's actions were designed to sabotage Hillary's chances. That was obvious.. and I still marvel at those who won't see it.
    I disagree.

I don't think he could have designed that sabotage any more effectively, but I don't think he intended such.

I think he's a moron.

An ego-tripping, pompous, self-deluded [redacted].
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    I do agree, tho, that Comey's actions were designed to sabotage Hillary's chances. That was obvious.. and I still marvel at those who won't see it.
    It's not at all obvious, and I don't think it was for that reason at all. Never posit a conspiracy for things which can be explained by blundering. I think he was reasonably sure she'd win, and he wanted to bend over backwards to head off hysteria by folks like woodpile and mdh. It didn't work, obviously. How much he helped Trump is hard to gauge, although it was probably significant, mostly by encouraging bothsideism and apathy among those who didn't like Trump, but were influenced by decades of propaganda claiming that Ms Clinton was a corrupt monster. But one way or another, intentionally or not, Comey's actions obviously helped Trump get elected.

The truly astounding thing is that folks like mdh and woodpile actually manage to believe that the 'deep state', the FBI and much of the federal government is actually conspiring against Trump. This is an astoundingly transparent ploy to discredit Mueller's investigation, exactly the sort of thing we'd expect from a pathological narcissist, and one who's very, very frightened and has something serious to hide. And amazingly enough, they've swallowed it completely. Woodpile's argument that the FBI was, and still is, conspiring to stop Trump is definitely in the category of 'six impossible thing before breakfast', but it's a perfect example of the kind of thinking that could make my dark imaginings possible. The fact that some folks apparently sincerely think Comey was trying to help Clinton shows me they can believe anything, no matter how ridiculous, as long as the Narcissist-in-Chief tells them so.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    . . . the credibility of our top people in the enforcement agency and the justice dept's credibility are in question . . .
    Comey is gone. Srtzok is gone. Who are you talking about, and why is their credibility in question?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Who are you talking about, and why is their credibility in question?
    Isn't it obvious? He doesn't know who, and he's questioning their credibility because the Trump campaign is being investigated for serious crimes, and they want to discredit the investigation.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I disagree.

I don't think he could have designed that sabotage any more effectively, but I don't think he intended such.

I think he's a moron.

An ego-tripping, pompous, self-deluded [redacted].
    He says:

1. A still-secret document
    2. The meeting with AG Lynch and Bill Clinton on her airplane

were major motivators. By themselves, they add up to nothing. When you add the right other stuff, they explain his motivation, says Comey. I don't get it. I thought this would be major focus of these hearings, and they seem to have decided to just let it go. "Insubordinate but not biased" doesn't get it, even if it's true. It's incomplete.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

He says:

1. A still-secret document
    2. The meeting with AG Lynch and Bill Clinton on her airplane

were major motivators. By themselves, they add up to nothing. When you add the right other stuff, they explain his motivation, says Comey. I don't get it. I thought this would be major focus of these hearings, and they seem to have decided to just let it go. "Insubordinate but not biased" doesn't get it, even if it's true. It's incomplete.
    Nice one, Osborne!
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Isn't it obvious? He doesn't know who, and he's questioning their credibility because the Trump campaign is being investigated for serious crimes, and they want to discredit the investigation.
    How can you question the credibility of someone you can't identify?

"That statement that the car ran the light is a lie."
    "Who made it?"
    "I don't know."

Then how do you know it's a lie? How can you know the motivation when you don't know the speaker? Could have been a kid on a skateboard. Could have been someone who wasn't even there. Who, exactly, is lying? Two people may tell the same lie for entirely different reasons. Etc.

How can you question the credibility of someone you can't identify?
    Easily. 'The 'Deep State' is trying to destroy President Trump!' 'The FBI was on Hillary Clinton's side and intervened in the election to help her win!' Talk about an institution or organization like that, and who needs to identify anything or produce any evidence? The larger, vaguer, and more inflammatory the claim, the more an ideologue likes it.

Richard Feynman

The Clinton email investigation was sprung off the Benghazi investigation when it revealed her use of a personal server. The Comey, McCabe, Strzok consortium worked to help her because, well, if you’re going to commit a crime, there’s no better accomplice than the President. By shredding procedures and semanticizing statutes, they kept her in the race and out of jail. With such a lead in the polls, they thought their work was done, till about 10:00 p.m. Tuesday night. Then plan B kicked in.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

And once again, mdh demonstrates exactly the kind of thinking that makes my scenarios plausible.

Richard Feynman

Comey is gone. Srtzok is gone. Who are you talking about, and why is their credibility in question?
    Gone?, what are they, dead?. So the actions they took while in power don't mean anything now? Has the statute of limitations run out? Very poor response, of course for the left any response will do.

An ego-tripping, pompous, self-deluded [redacted]
    Yep.. but his act and timing were intentional. Remember, Comey was the prosecutor against Martha Stewart.. when the 'insider trading' charges wouldn't stick, they put 'obstruction of justice' charges on her - essentially, 'failure to help us jail her'. Yet the wealthy men caught at the time were not prosecuted. Accidental? I doubt it. Comey is a 'good ole boy', 'this is the mens club', 'don't forget your place', bigot.. Hillary had to fail.

Keith, tho the rww views are obviously projection, I think it's far past time people dropped the (obviously false) 'never attribute to evil what can be blamed on ignorance' meme - esp in light of the fact that the entire Mueller investigation is based on, yes, you got it, right wing conspiracy.