Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry Hull Repair

Default Re: Dry Hull Repair

Thanks, Larks,

Follow on question, prolly should go in misc. boat. Actually, I did read and follow that thread, but not in years, but I haven't been upstairs for a long while, since I used to read every thread in every subforum every day, but for years now, feeling sated, I do just the bilge and the tools resources techniques and misc. boat.

So, my boat is a trailer sailer strip-planked in full-length, clear sitka spruce. It has been over my concrete driveway, under blue canvas over a plastic sheet, for three years without getting dipped. There is a crack opened up forward. The deal is that now the Minister of All Things and All Other Things as well, the Grand Poohbah, bless her wholey designation, has influenced my decision to pass the sloop on to some other lucky soul, with the faint hope of resurrecting my life dream, shattered life dream, with a trailered (somewhere off the premises, so She can more easily see down that side of the street, IOW, not in the damn driveway) motorized version, as in specifically without sails. And so I have to make sure that I do the right thing for said lucky stiff, 'cause I don't relish any bad boat karma.

The ethylene glycol swells the wood and then cures or dries to a solid, leaving the wood dry and taken up, mostly. I've tried it on small stuff and turned bad checks into nearly completely closed up checks.

Since I first noticed that the deck seams had opened up and then that there is a little bit of daylight in the hold near the bow, I have been hosing it down on the outside, deck and rubrails.

I guess I have my answer; I'll figure a way to rig a bath on a shoestring, like I don't have enough on my plate..grrhmbl...

Thanks for all your help, guys.
    Last edited by Jim Mahan; 07-03-2018 at 07:57 AM.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

Quote Originally Posted by jstafford View Post
    Dirty water as in a sewage pump? When I looked up pumps over the weekend I saw clear water and sewage as types. I can't get away with a clear water pump?
    Sump pumps are dirty water pumps. They can handle debris and dirt in the water without destroying the impeller. Submersible pumps may not include a float switch; a needed option.

Any pics of how you set that bath up?

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Yep, I have and there are endless threads and discussions on here about it. I did one myself and happily found that it works well enough with some timbers but not so well with some others http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ghlight=glycol
    - but I’d suggest don’t waste your time and money. If my experience can help and if you are going to leave your boat out of the water for a little while, build her a bath as I did for my H28 and as I mentioned above. Ultimately it is the simplest, easiest and most foolproof way to get her timbers back to where they should be before you relaunch her.

So there are some challenges with getting her in the water yet this year(no slips available). If she is not going to make it into the water should I do hull work now or just wait till spring? I would hate to do the work now to just to have to do it again in the spring.

In post #7 you wrote that access to water at the site of the boat is a problem, right? Or has the boat been moved? Before doing any 'hull work', whatever that may be, you might try hiring a water truck or tank to try to swell the hull up (carefully, as suggested above!) The hull may be perfectly sound....
    "It's a pirate's life for me. Savvy??"

By work I'm talking scraping and painting with a little caulk work. My expert tells me the hull is going to be just fine when she finally hits the water.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    In post #7 you wrote that access to water at the site of the boat is a problem, right? Or has the boat been moved? Before doing any 'hull work', whatever that may be, you might try hiring a water truck or tank to try to swell the hull up (carefully, as suggested above!) The hull may be perfectly sound....

By work I'm talking scraping and painting with a little caulk work. My expert tells me the hull is going to be just fine when she finally hits the water.
    Chain the expert to the boat on launch day...
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Any pics of how you set that bath up?
    Yes - the trick is to get a membrane that won’t hole too easily if you pinch it passing it under the hull (as I initially did using builders plastic) and to get it pressed as close to the hull as possible with ply and any scraps of carpet or foam or anything between the ply and membrane to hold it closer to the hull. This is to minimise the amount of water required to wet the hull timber and so the weight on your bath frame.

This is the current set up - pretty basic - the short uprights holding the ply in place are bolted through under the boat stand to pull the ply tight to the hull

more throughout the thread here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...n-quot-rebuild
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

If she is not going in the water this season I would hold off on any bottom work until next season. One reason being any seam compound will dry out and harden up before them, and you want that to be soft when she hits the water.

I just don't see how I could accomplish this. There is no power or water available where she sits. Not sure how to get the tarp under her keel. That is going to be one big tarp and structure in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Yep, I have and there are endless threads and discussions on here about it. I did one myself and happily found that it works well enough with some timbers but not so well with some others http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ghlight=glycol
    - but I’d suggest don’t waste your time and money. If my experience can help and if you are going to leave your boat out of the water for a little while, build her a bath as I did for my H28 and as I mentioned above. Ultimately it is the simplest, easiest and most foolproof way to get her timbers back to where they should be before you relaunch her.

At the least I can get her bottom scraped and pianted. What is the best process for prepping the hull? Heat gun? Anybody tried the Wagner Paint Eater?