Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Hull Repair

Default Dry Hull Repair

hull.jpgWhat would be the least that could be done to get this boat back in the water? It was winterized, hauled and wrapped 3 seasons ago with the idea it was going back in the water in the spring. It will come back out in a few months. I would like to get it in the water ASAP so that all the mechanicals could be reviewed and any required repair plans made. If it will require cleaning out all the joints and starting from scratch it may not make it back in the water yet this year. I'm hoping there is a faster option.

Default Re: Dry Hull Repair

Gonna need a lot more info. Some more pics would help too.

I have a bunch more pics that look the same. What info do you need? She is a Grand Banks 42.

Can you hook up water to the mechanicals and do the testing on the hard? That'd be the simple solution. alternatively see if the yard would be willing to lay her in with a travellift, test while in the slings and pull her back out once you've made "the list".

Quote Originally Posted by jstafford View Post
    hull.jpgWhat would be the least that could be done to get this boat back in the water? It was winterized, hauled and wrapped 3 seasons ago with the idea it was going back in the water in the spring. It will come back out in a few months. I would like to get it in the water ASAP so that all the mechanicals could be reviewed and any required repair plans made. If it will require cleaning out all the joints and starting from scratch it may not make it back in the water yet this year. I'm hoping there is a faster option.
    If your caulking was in good condition before you hauled, you might consider Slick Seam.

I had my boat out for the winter a couple of years ago, between taking longer than planned to do the work and delays with the boat mover, the seams opened up quite a bit. I scraped off the flaky paint and filled the seams with Slick Seam before anti-fouling the hull. I was worried because I couldn't be there when the boat went back in the water, but when I got home a few days later I found there was almost no water in the bilge.

Jamie

Don't think there is any way to get water to her where she sits. I will inquire about dipping her in with the lift.

another boat I was looking at with much larger seams it was suggested that she could just be slip seamed and put in the water. I was kind of hoping that was the consensus of opinion here

DUH, Slick Seam, no wonder I have not been able to research that, I thought he said Slip Seam!! Sometimes I wonder how I got this old!

Definitely a candidate for Davis' Slick Seam. ...... Or I think there is a lot to be said for making a thick paste out of just regular soap and working that in the seams with a putty knife.

............ And if you can, lawn sprinklers under her for a week or so will help a lot. if you can 'tent' her with plastic from the waterline to the ground (to keep the wet and humidity under her) with a couple of lawn sprinklers under there for a week will do a lot.

I meant to add that I wouldn't just let here 'hang in the slings'. I think she is wayyyyy to dry for that. As Denise said below, the yard will probably get irritated long before she is ready to go on her own if you don't do as much as you can in advance.
    Last edited by nedL; 06-27-2018 at 12:20 PM.

so.. you don't own this boat "yet"?

Grand Banks are much desired boats Hope it goes well if you do buy or own it.

Rushing to get it "in" is going to be like double money if it means pulling it back out again because she won't take up in the time the yard or marina sees as "long enough"
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Correct, I do not own this boat. Trying to figure out if I really want to. I have a surveyor and a wood boat guy in the works. Just trying to gain all the knowledge I can so I feel more comfortable separating the wheat from the chaff and making a good decision.

Even with slick-seaming the open seams I’d be asking the yard to let her hang in the slings for the time that it takes to run the systems up and check them if she’s going back on the hard straight afterwards anyway. If you do then go ahead and buy her consider building a simple bath around the hull to resurrect her so that you can see what re-caulking or other work she might need before repainting and antifouling. The bath only needs to be a reasonably strong waterproof membrane held close against the hull with ply and bracing so that there’s just enough water to wet the timber up the side of the hull without so much weight of water that it is hard to hold the structure in place.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Hm. How about buying her subject to survey and sea trial? Per the OP:

It was winterized, hauled and wrapped 3 seasons ago with the idea it was going back in the water in the spring.
    So I assume that it "ran when parked" yes? Those seams are open but they don't look disastrous to me. If I was serious about that boat I would ask the yard if they would launch her on a Friday afternoon as-is and let her sit in the slings over the weekend. On the owner's dime unless the sale is completed. Then if she takes up and everything looks ok after that do any in-water inspection that may be possible (can you start the motor, for example, or would it require too much effort to recommission?). If you still want the boat after that, haul her out again for a formal survey. And if THAT looks ok to you, at minimum take the bottom back to bare wood and paint before putting her back in again.

Also you should take a hard look at the decks and lower sections of the house on a wood GB. Decks are teak-over-ply and they rot and that can extend to the lower part of the house as well. The surveyor should know that and look for it, but always good to look for yourself.

Finally, you might want to pop in to Trawler Forum for advice and look for other resources on wood GBs if you haven't already (e.g. http://www.gbwoodies.com/). There is a lot of knowledge out there on those boats and their typical problem areas.

Have you taken the shrink wrap off yet. My experience is that with proper ventilation and with the framing holding the wrap off from direct contact with the hull a boat can survive the experience. The picture makes be a bit wary.

G'luck

Shes been where she is for three years? Three years on the lawn is better than three years on asphalt or in a yard somewhere. Id get inside the shrink wrap and see what's going on.
    The seams dont look bad but the forefoot looks a little iffy.
    You could drape some heavy poly over her, secure it to the ground and let a dribbler hose run for a few days or even a sprinkler set low but you really need to see how she looks from the inside.

I paid a local wood boat expert to take a look at her. He found a couple sketchy parts but nothing too alarming. As for the bottom i have a couple spots to put in some caulk but his recommendation over all was to scrape off the loose paint, put a coat of bottom on her and throw in. She is going to tighten up just fine. Now - need a warm fuzzy on those diesels!

Not off but pulled back enough to know that trapped moisture caused some minor stuff. I know better for future winters.

I’m really looking forward to seeing whether you buy her and then seeing some more photos of the whole boat. Good Luck with the engines and everything else.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I suspect the hull will be only a small part of work involved in this project. Buy a 120v dirty water sump pump to put in her until she's is tight. Otherwise the floorboards will be floating around the cabin.

Add me to the list of those who really want to see the whole boat!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

What are her engines? For some reason I'm thinking 6 cyl. Lehman Fords were pretty standard in them.

As I alluded to above, I would be very leery about just tossing her in as she stands. The floorboards may be floating before you realize it.....

Well, the deal has been agreed to with money and titles to change hands next week. Attached is a pic of what she used to look like a few years ago. Hopefully I can get her back to this. I'm new to this forum, I guess next I start a rebuild/project post. I am going to need a lot of advice. Thanks to everybody that chimed in.heavan sent.jpg

Yes a pair of Lehman's. I have work to do before she gets hung to swell up.

will do

Well, the deal has been agreed to with money and titles to change hands next week. Attached is a pic of what she used to look like a few years ago. Hopefully I can get her back to this. I'm new to this forum, I guess next I start a rebuild/project post. I am going to need a lot of advice. Thanks to everybody that chimed in.heavan sent.jpg
    Nothing less than was expected! she is a beauty! notice I did not use the word "was". I sincerely hope you can keep her in her present state and maybe good luck! keep us up-to-date please!

Well, the deal has been agreed to with money and titles to change hands next week. Attached is a pic of what she used to look like a few years ago. Hopefully I can get her back to this. I'm new to this forum, I guess next I start a rebuild/project post. I am going to need a lot of advice. Thanks to everybody that chimed in.
    Fantastic!! Congratulations.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Congratulations, she looks/looked wonderful. My only suggestion is not to go stripping out too much. Unless you are an experienced big boat builder and really know what you are getting into. Lots of boats die that way, stripping stuff out is easy, it's the rebuild that stalls. Eat that elephant one bite at a time.

Very Nice! he looks good enough that you should be able to enjoy her during the process With luck that'll be the case.

Diesels don’t get much simpler and more reliable than those Lehmans.

She looks nicely maintained. I hope you don’t find any big disappointments.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    I suspect the hull will be only a small part of work involved in this project. Buy a 120v dirty water sump pump to put in her until she's is tight. Otherwise the floorboards will be floating around the cabin.
    Dirty water as in a sewage pump? When I looked up pumps over the weekend I saw clear water and sewage as types. I can't get away with a clear water pump?

I’d suggest dirty water pump as in a submersible sump pump - something that can handle any small debris that is likely to be floating around. If you google “dirty water pump” you’ll find plenty of options.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

put the pump in a "bag" made from window screen.. or wire mesh. depending how large the junk you want to allow into the pump. small pump can be set into a colander from the kitchen!

On this subject, has anyone tried anti-freeze to swell dried, cracked or open seams, like deck seams?
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    On this subject, has anyone tried anti-freeze to swell dried, cracked or open seams, like deck seams?
    Yep, I have and there are endless threads and discussions on here about it. I did one myself and happily found that it works well enough with some timbers but not so well with some others http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ghlight=glycol
    - but I’d suggest don’t waste your time and money. If my experience can help and if you are going to leave your boat out of the water for a little while, build her a bath as I did for my H28 and as I mentioned above. Ultimately it is the simplest, easiest and most foolproof way to get her timbers back to where they should be before you relaunch her.
    Last edited by Larks; 07-03-2018 at 06:15 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary