Thread: How to ascertain boat value?

Default How to ascertain boat value?

I'm trying to help my dad sell his very small wooden rowboat/sailboat (10 feet long)--he's giving it up because he's to old to get it in and out of the water. I'm worried that he'll put it by the edge of the road with a sign on it and take the first offer, getting ripped off.

My two questions: does a boat depreciate much in value if it's lightly used? Would it be worth, say, 80% of what he paid for it (used) 20 years ago (assuming that was a fair price) if it hasn't been either improved or damaged and quite rarely used?

I've tried to find out what it's worth by looking for similar boats for sale, and it's really hard to find any. Are wooden non-canoe boats so rare that he should go out of his way to get an evaluation of some kind? Or, is it just a kind of boat not many people want any more?

I hope this isn't seen as a "for sale ad"--I can't really imagine anyone on this site wanting something that small.

Thanks!

Default Re: How to ascertain boat value?

If the boat is as you say seaworthy, 20 years old, my First instinct would be to find a deserving person to gift it to, or give it to a local youth sailing organization and take a tax deduction as a charitable gift. The monetary value of the boat may not be worth the trouble to sell it. If you don’t like the options above, you can always take a flier on Craigslist

Unfortunately it won’t be worth much. Used wooden boats, unless they are freshly restored or of historic significance aren’t worth much more than the cost of the materials involved.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Think of a number. Halve it, halve it again. Try that.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

A photo would help us, but putting it out by the side of the road (is there much traffic?) will help. I've bought a few that way. Take whatever offer you can get. The market is very thin. A Craigslist ad will promote some interest at least, as long as there are several photos and an honest description. https://belleville.craigslist.ca/search/boa?query=row
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

If it's a good "tender" type boat there may be a pretty good market if you list it at a local marina. Flier on the bulletin board type thing. It really does depend on the type of boat. Pictures would help a lot. There's a four year old "Salt Island Skiff (12'-6" ) locally here being advertised for $500 US with oars, but no trailer if that's any help.

I'd try $500 US if it's in great shape and a, " known," design to your locale. If it's just a generic wooden dink of 20 years age: $200/ OBO. ( First offer is almost always gonna be the best offer)

Right now, there is a $150 wooden dink on my Facebook Marketplace, as well as two 12 foot aluminum jon boats for $250 each and a fiberglass 10 footer for $175.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

You do what I do when I sell boats donated to our Sea Scout ship: Put it on craigslist and drop the price every week until I get it sold.

It's not scientific but it works
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Thanks very much, everyone. That's all really helpful. He paid $1200 (Canadian!) for it second-hand twenty years ago--I was suggesting $1000 to they guy who responded to my Kijiji ad but that's probably too much. He's certainly donated a canoe in the past to a summer camp, and is quite involved with the local camp, but I suspect they prefer self-righting boats for younger people. I think I just won't worry about it beyond passing on the one contact I got.

Here's a picture for those of you who asked (although I didn't take it with marketing in mind!)

Version 2.jpg

Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like a pretty nice little boat to me. I'd ask $1000 and be happy to get anything over $750. $500 would be a real bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Unfortunately it won’t be worth much. Used wooden boats, unless they are freshly restored or of historic significance aren’t worth much more than the cost of the materials involved.
    Exactly, was in a conversation with an employee at the Rossi building at Mystic Seaport where they store many old wooden boats, the conversation went like, I have several old wooden boats, if the kids aren't interested in them would you want them as a donation, answer was, only if they have historical value, we have several other storage areas that are full and will only consider certain boats.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Exactly, was in a conversation with an employee at the Rossi building at Mystic Seaport where they store many old wooden boats, the conversation went like, I have several old wooden boats, if the kids aren't interested in them would you want them as a donation, answer was, only if they have historical value, we have several other storage areas that are full and will only consider certain boats.
    Different factors at play there. Of course Mystic doesn't need any more small boats unless they have significance. But a nice little plywood sail/row boat in good condition is still worth something. I'd say less than a Ranger Minto or similar high quality FG dinghy but more than your common-or-garden-variety pram. I see El Toros selling for $1500 and up in Seattle all the time.

500-750 is probably fair, but I wouldn't have my hopes too high, 1000$ is a lot of money for a boat that size, especially without any knowledge of the builder or design. it's a nice little boat tho. I'd worry less about getting ripped off and more about getting it to a good home, where it can be used and appreciated. maybe get it into the hands to a kid. or another family member if you're not too concerned about making a buck on it

Well, I'll simply note that a quick CL search of row boats for sale in Seattle between $250-$750 right now turns up a couple of plywood prams, both somewhat rough, and a list of utterly forgettable fiberglass tubs - Livingstons and the like. Nothing remotely as nice as a handsome and practical little wooden sailboat. Everywhere is different though and what sells in Seattle might sit in Ontario. But in any case I agree that finding it a good home should take precedence over squeezing every last loonie from the buyer.

Its only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Sentiment has no dollar value. Put some chits in the Karma bank and donatenit.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Different factors at play there. Of course Mystic doesn't need any more small boats unless they have significance. But a nice little plywood sail/row boat in good condition is still worth something. I'd say less than a Ranger Minto or similar high quality FG dinghy but more than your common-or-garden-variety pram. I see El Toros selling for $1500 and up in Seattle all the time.
    Understand that, sold a Ken Swan designed "Chica" last year, okume plywood, some nice mahogany brightwork and a fairly new trailer. 2K, was a relatively quick easy sale on Craigslist. Historical significance IMHO is a relatively small market, however, if you can advertise a boat with pictures that "pop" and have a solid quality boat it's a much easier sell.

I just bought a lapstrake Catspaw Dinghy in excellent condition with a trailer and full sail kit for $1100. This was in Phoenix Arizona, a long way from a wooden boat community. Your dad's boat looks to be in fine condition. I would start at a thousand and work down.

IMG_1713.jpg

This post is not an offer for sale, it is a frustrated rant. For the last three years I have tried to find a new home for my beautiful 1938 CCA sloop. I am to the point where I am no longer safe running around on the foredeck or “single-handing with passengers.” This thread recaps most of the ideas that I have developed.

No. 1: the money is secondary. I have put so much into her, she has given me so much, that the most important thing to me is finding some knowledgeable and responsible owner who has the means and the inclination to honor what she is. No. 2: the market for old wood boats has just evaporated since I acquired her 19 years ago. No. 3: the only response to sale postings are from aardvaarks, trolls, fruitcakes, and scammers. I got one phone call from a woman in Dubai who said, I want to buy your boat, give me your bank account and I will give you a check, you put the boat in an airplane and send it here. No. 4: I have offered to gift a different boat, a 16' sailing Whitehall, to a water-oriented (salt-chuck, that is) summer camp, and they just ghosted on me – stopped answering my mail.

To make a realistic proposition out of it, one has to recognize that, in the Upper Left Corner anyway, it takes a dowry of over $5K a year to just maintain a 30-something foot boat: moorage, insurance, haul-out and bottom paint every two years, licenses.

This boat is very sweet. Fractional rig sloop, 35'6" LOA, 9' beam, 6' draft, iron ballast. She is USCG documented, and I know a lot of her provenance. She was built in the King Boat Yard in Hong Kong, out of Burmese teak, to a Phil Rhodes design (think Bounty I). She has many bronze fittings by Merriman or WC. I have seen her through deck replacement, mast rebuild, engine tear-down and overhaul, wrought iron floor strap refastening, uncounted small jobs. What I have asked for her is a fraction of what I have into her. Her hull is fair, she surveys well.

If there are new ideas and inspirations that I have not thought of, I am sure this forum would be the place to find them. I am interested in what experiences others have had.

I am surprised frankly at how difficult it is to buy a wooden boat. Kids are all out of school, no more tuition payments, I have a mooring available at the club for way less than market rate, so its the perfect time to buy a boat. Lots of "Classic Plastic" for sale on the interweb so I could be sailing tomorrow if I wanted.
    Ive been looking for a decent wooden catboat for over a year. Been sorta, kinda thinking about a lobster yacht as well since Im not as young or full of piss and vinegar as I used to be. Maybe Id really rather just go fishing and do my sailing at the Wednesday night club races...I dont mind doing some work to get a boat in the water but I dont want a multiyear project.

Anyway...I have answered ads, sent e-mail after e-mail, left messages to little or no avail including a handful in our sponsors magazine. No call back, no replies, crickets. There are boats for sale but I find that they are either crazy overpriced for a nice boat or they are bonfires in waiting. At the very least Id like to get a reply when I make an inquiry.

It shouldnt be this hard.

Try contacting 'Save A Classic', a page devoted to boats like yours in Woodenboat Magazine: https://www.woodenboat.com/contact Select and read some of the descriptions by Maynard Bray, the author of most of the articles, for guidance about how the boats are described: https://www.woodenboat.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Sadly, almost any 80 year old wood boat is going to be a very, very tough sale or donation (as you've found) to someone who, as you say, has the wherewithal to do her justice.

Wood boat brokers here in Maine are loath to list any but the very best, pedigree and condition-wise. They often find older ones taking quite a while to sell, even when maintained and upgraded by long-standing, reputable wood boatyards. Descriptions of maintenence and repairs by owners are pretty much discounted as biased and non-expert, unless the boat is surveyed by a professional who has extended experience with wood boats and can describe the conditions and needs accurately and realistically.

Best of luck with your frustration. It's a common lament.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.