Thread: TSCA boats at Korth's for Delta Gunkholing

Default TSCA boats at Korth's for Delta Gunkholing

The Sacramento / SF TSCA is hosting another great Delta Gunkholing trip, and I drove out to Korth's Pirate Lair (Yarr!) yesterday evening to join their potluck dinner and wish them well. The heat wave is over for now (106F on Saturday) but the high winds (gusting at over 30) continue.

Canoeyawl's lovely Sally -
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Default Re: TSCA boats at Korth's for Delta Gunkholing

Today the winds slackened nicely so we had an easy downwind run on Little Potato Slough. Currently we are tied up at the docks at Westgate Landing Park. Today’s temperatures were much lower than Saturday’s. Still, swimming after the sail today felt great.
    EE664971-75CA-4D7A-8951-A0BFF97990C3.jpg

Looks like fun. I'm thinking ideally you'd want those tents attaching outside the gunnels.

Thanks for the post and photo, Mike! Glad to see that the weather both cooled down and calmed down for the rest of the trip after last weekend.
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Nice!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Looks like fun. I'm thinking ideally you'd want those tents attaching outside the gunnels.
    The Drascombe boats have full length seats that are essentially side decks, the sheer plank acts as a bulwark. They are scuppered and a perfect place to drain a tent.
    Not that it rains here... (No rain from June until late October)

what kinda boat is that - #4 in the first post

Quote Originally Posted by telenorth View Post
    what kinda boat is that - #4 in the first post

Drascombe Lugger

(built by Honnor Marine; 1972 I think)

https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/drascombe-lugger/

that would explain why I like the looks of it. drascombes are neat

What's the black catboat in the second photo of post #1? Is that the modified Bolger Bobcat that's in the latest issue of SCA?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    The Drascombe boats have full length seats that are essentially side decks, the sheer plank acts as a bulwark. They are scuppered and a perfect place to drain a tent.
    Not that it rains here... (No rain from June until late October)

Perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to emphasize: this thread is useless without fotos of what hat my twin was wearing... <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

An ugly old straw thing, since I'd come from two days of building theatre sets in the heat in Martinez -- nothing worth viewing, sad to say.

I will post some photos tomorrow.

Nine boats departed Korth's Pirate Lair on Monday morning. Our fleet was an eclectic collection, ranging from my 14 foot catboat to Jake's 24 foot Sally. As mentioned in the earlier postings, a strong wind blew through the night but abated some by mid morning, leaving us with a nice breeze for working our way up the Mokelumne River.

00. Liska leaving Korth's.jpg

Our first obstacle was the Mokelumne River Bridge which opens for river traffic every half hour. Some of us motored so that the fleet would be together as we passed the bridge. Once beyond the bridge, we all hoisted our sails and shut down our auxiliaries for a pleasant broad reach up the south channel of the Mokelumne. The cat ketch on the left side of the next photo was a Core Islander in our fleet. This elegantly designed boat probably was the fastest in the fleet, usually arriving first at the day's destination.

02. Through the bridge.jpg

The sloughs and river channels we followed for the next five days usually provided several navigation options as we sailed between rushes and earthen banks. This photo shows another of the three Drascombes.

03. Broad reach on the Mokelumne River.jpg

Beauty may be subjective, but I felt that Sally was the prettiest boat in the fleet. She would move smoothly in the slightest breeze and yet handled the strong afternoon breezes we saw most afternoons with ease.

04. Sally and Liska.jpg

(to be continued)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Our fleet included another catboat, a Herreshoff America.

05. Catboat.jpg

Our sail on the first day ended at the Westgate Landing Regional Park, which had a nice dock. Some of us cooled off with a swim in the basin. The crew on the Herreshoff catboat provided perfect music for the relaxed setting.

The next morning we headed south down the Little Potato Slough. The easy breeze out of the west pushed us along on a close reach, with occasional tacks. The Swampscott dory in our fleet moved along nicely in these conditions.

08. Swampscot dory.jpg

The next photo shows the two catboats, as our route approached the San Joaquin River.

09. Two catboats on Little Potato Slough.jpg

Once on the San Joaquin River, we enjoyed a run in light winds, as we sailed up the river to Hog Island.

(to be continued)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike.Higgins.94301; 07-04-2018 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Corrected typo

The route for our third day was to sail back up the San Joaquin River and take the Columbia Cut over to Middle River. The Delta is a beautiful in Spring, with flowering water vegetation and flocks of beautiful white egrets as thick as pigeons.

12. Spring colors.jpg

The earlier posting by CanoeYawl shows my boat drifting in light winds that morning. The next photo shows Sally passing me a few minutes later.

DSC05820.jpg

The third day was full of challenges that kept me from taking many photos, starting with loosing my map overboard. The problem with waterproof maps is that they sink. I then became separated from the fleet when I drifted into the tulles after my outboard was fouled by weeds. Fortunately, the Swampscott dory was behind me. It took us over an hour to extract my boat from the mud. Sally had been waiting for us where the Middle River joined the Old River. However, through a series of mishaps we found ourselves unable to rejoin the fleet at the Sugar Barge Marina on Frank's Tract. Instead, Sally and I, with the dory in tow, enjoyed a spirited run down the Old River to the Holland Riverside Marina. The wind was gusting well over 20 knots during that run. I enjoyed having the crew from the dory on board my catboat for that run. The extra ballast, in the form of a good sailor, meant we could avoid reefing. Together we skimmed across the smooth slough water with a full sail and a lot of wind at our backs. It was great sailing.

The full moon that night created a beautiful scene from our decks.

14. Full moon over Holland Riverside Marina - TRUNCATED.jpg

The next morning we motored north, up the Old River, in still air.

16. Dead calm morning.jpg

Turning onto Frank's Tract, we followed the southern shore around to the west side of the tract and rejoined the fleet at Sugar Barge.

17. Daisy at Sugar Barge Marina.jpg

(to be continued)
    Last edited by Mike.Higgins.94301; 07-04-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Corrected typo

The rest of the day included some great sailing that I failed to photograph. We left Frank's Tract on the False River. A strong gusting wind was blowing out of the west. The long fetch produced by the orientation of our route created the only rough water of the trip. Most of us motored into the wind waves and enjoyed being cooled by the resulting spray. Once back on the San Joaquin River we headed upstream and found a nice breeze, so we shutdown our auxiliaries and enjoyed an easy sail with the tidal current.

Our destination was the Outrigger Marina and Saloon on Threemile Slough. After a long day of sailing, the saloon mattered more than the marina to most of us.

18. Bar at the Outrigger Marina.jpg

The wind blew all night so our last morning began with most of us sailing with reefs in our sails as we headed back up Threemile Slough.

19. Last day.jpg

Once back on the river, the wind slackened and we enjoyed an easy sail back to Korth's.

20. Almost over.jpg

By midafternoon most of us had our boats back on our trailers.

THE END

That beautiful flowering water vegetation in #19 is Water Hyacinth, an invasive plant from elsewhere that's the scourge of California waterways. Mighty beautiful, though.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    That beautiful flowering water vegetation in #19 is Water Hyacinth, an invasive plant from elsewhere that's the scourge of California waterways. Mighty beautiful, though.
    Generally a very safe place to park, those Hyacinths. If you draw less then 3ft you can usually sail to weather right into them, drop your sail and eat lunch or have an afternoon cocktail.
    Back your sails, make a little stern board, back the helm sheet in and carry on as you were. You can do the same thing in the Tules as long as you are on a rising tide.
    Many have tied up to the Tules and spen't the night, but there are mosquitos in there. Not so much if you can anchor out in the Delta breeze.