Thread: Edme wins the Pin Mill Barge Match

Default Edme wins the Pin Mill Barge Match

Photo c/o Squirt Maritime Photography
    Squib “Squirt”, RHYC:

The rest of the fleet were out of sight..

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Default Re: Edme wins the Pin Mill Barge Match

EDME is 120 years old this year, and celebrating her birthday in fine style. Her custodians are the Harman family of Brightlingsea, who have owned smacks and barges for ever and a day, and she is raced seriously.

EDME has never had an engine. She is most certainly wooden, but some might call her a small ship rather than a boat.

More here:

http://www.edmebarge.com/
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 06-27-2018 at 12:11 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

VERY COOL!!
    Thanks Andrew!

See? If I were rich, that’s exactly the type stuff I’d do. What a cool boat.

Peace,
    Robert

Here’s a thing...

EDME the barge is 120 years old. She was named for her original charterers, the English Diastatic Malt Extract Company Limited, of Mistley, in Essex, near the head of navigation on the estuary of the river Stour, which flows into Harwich Harbour.

EDME the Company are 125 years old and still in business in their original premises...

http://www.edme.com/
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 10-10-2018 at 07:19 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Nice boat. Must take a few hands to handle all those sails?

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Nice boat. Must take a few hands to handle all those sails?
    Two, one of whom steers.
    Those barges worked cargo round our coasts with only skipper and mate.
    They probably ship more hands for racing, for the fun of it and to make coming about quicker.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

My favourite Thames barge story, I've always seen it as apocryphal. Perhaps the experts here can comment on it's veracity.

Because they are flat bottomed, sometimes their suction in the mud would prevent them from floating on the rising tide. The solution was to climb the mast with a mallet and beat on the truck, to set vibration in the rig and hull. The vibration would cause the vacuum to break, allowing the barge to float.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    My favourite Thames barge story, I've always seen it as apocryphal. Perhaps the experts here can comment on it's veracity.

Because they are flat bottomed, sometimes their suction in the mud would prevent them from floating on the rising tide. The solution was to climb the mast with a mallet and beat on the truck, to set vibration in the rig and hull. The vibration would cause the vacuum to break, allowing the barge to float.
    I have read most stuff published about barges and never heard of that one. Can't see it myself, considering the mass of the barge. That is a lot of inertia to start vibrating.

There was a post on a similar phenomenon when heavily laden container ships and tankers navigate through shallow channels, suggesting that Archimedes´Principle addresses just the basics of floatation, not the fine detail that augments it

Some may recall not long ago, the mighty US Navy seeking help from their Dutch and British counterparts when the subject entailed minesweeping

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Two, one of whom steers.
    Those barges worked cargo round our coasts with only skipper and mate.
    They probably ship more hands for racing, for the fun of it and to make coming about quicker.
    The racing rules of the Sailing Barge Association stipulate that a racing crew must not number more than five including the skipper. This rule goes back to Victorian times.

Since you always raise the weather leeboard when racing, short tacking involves a lot of winch winding. When not racing you leave both down on a short tack. Close inspection of my snap shows that EDME is still getting hers up after wending- - its halfway home - and there is not that much room in the Orwell at that point...
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 06-27-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Somewhat more comfortable below than the typical racing yacht these days. I like the overstuffed chairs and frilly sofa.

http://www.edmebarge.com/gallery.html

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    There was a post on a similar phenomenon when heavily laden container ships and tankers navigate through shallow channels, suggesting that Archimedes´Principle addresses just the basics of floatation, not the fine detail that augments it
    Different issue, Bernoulli rather than Archimedes.

It really sounds like something you tell the new crew member. "Hey Joe - we're stuck on the bottom. We need you to climb to the top of the mast and whack on it with this mallet to shake her free before the tide comes in and swamps us!" Meanwhile the rest of the crew are rolling in the scuppers with laughter while the poor sap on top of the mast is beating on it like the devil is after him trying to pop the barge off the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Different issue, Bernoulli rather than Archimedes.
    With barges staying put (stuck in the mud) despite a rising tide......... Archimedes is made aware of the crew´s calling for a solution.....and while they are it, arranges for the tide to rise to a tad more

From my old collection, now in possession of one of the Barge Racing Associations and was used as their poster for the 150th celebrations.
    The artist, Ernest Stuart, was another of those talented people taken from the world by WW1.

Rounding the Lightship, Photomezzotype from a watercolour of a Thames barge racing match by artist Ernest Stuart .
    Circa late 1880's

Another of his paintings here.
    http://www.artnet.com/artists/ernest...NtX9Ok-wTEwmg2

That is a healthy amount of sail!

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Photo c/o Squirt Maritime Photography
    Squib “Squirt”, RHYC:

The rest of the fleet were out of sight..

I followed that race up the Orwell - saw a Squib down towards Felixstowe. Squirt, I wonder?

By the time main body of barges (and we) got to Pinmill, the Edme and the Mirosa were lying peacefully moored side by side, looking very smug with sails furled and all their battle honours flying.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

When I see such a vessel, I can't help but doff my cap in respect for the builders who knew how to choose the right materials and the right way to use them in building such a work of art!
    Jay

...She was named for her original charterers, the English Diazepam Malt Extract Company Limited....
    Surely you meant to say "Diastatic," referring to a grain that has already germinated?

http://www.breweryhistory.com/journa...149/Almost.pdf

Diazepam is distinctly different to this!

Brilliant stuff, btw...I love those barges!
    --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

What a great photo. Still a working river over the centuries, but the boats have changed. I imagine if the oil ever run out, this scene would still be valid in another 100-200 years.

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    I followed that race up the Orwell - saw a Squib down towards Felixstowe. Squirt, I wonder?

By the time main body of barges (and we) got to Pinmill, the Edme and the Mirosa were lying peacefully moored side by side, looking very smug with sails furled and all their battle honours flying.
    If it was the dark blue one, that was indeed Squirt. There was one other - a cream hulled one - one of Squirt's former sisters in the East Anglian Sailing Trust fleet - the Trust offers sailing for the physically disabled, from Levington, but they have found a better boat for the purpose than the Squib, so their Squibs are being phased out.

Squirt has a tent, an anchor, a stove, a washing up bowl, dry bags, water carriers and her very own Avon Redcrest, so she isn't at racing weight. She is about to acquire a Plastimo headsail furler to go with the "cruising" mainsail (which has reef points)...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

[QUOTE=Hwyl;5604857]My favourite Thames barge story, I've always seen it as apocryphal. Perhaps the experts here can comment on it's veracity.

Because they are flat bottomed, sometimes their suction in the mud would prevent them from floating on the rising tide. The solution was to climb the mast with a mallet and beat on the truck, to set vibration in the rig and hull. The vibration would cause the vacuum to break, allowing

I believe it and Hornblower used a comparable technique: A frigate, I think the 'Renown', was stuck in the mud and shot at by the Spanish. He let the ship fire a broadside all at the same moment while the crew was hauling in the anchor. It worked.
    Nice to have those barges in wood, ours are steel and iron.

If it was the dark blue one, that was indeed Squirt. There was one other - a cream hulled one - one of Squirt's former sisters in the East Anglian Sailing Trust fleet - the Trust offers sailing for the physically disabled, from Levington, but they have found a better boat for the purpose than the Squib, so their Squibs are being phased out.

Squirt has a tent, an anchor, a stove, a washing up bowl, dry bags, water carriers and her very own Avon Redcrest, so she isn't at racing weight. She is about to acquire a Plastimo headsail furler to go with the "cruising" mainsail (which has reef points)...
    Okay, I’m a real sucker for the boats over there. Something about the aesthetics really appeal to me, usually.

What is this Squib? Yes, I KNOW I can google, but the point of coming here is to hear wonderful stories, such as the one you told earlier about the tow.
    The personal anecdotes to flesh out the facts are what make interpersonal communication what it is, to me. The Squib sounds neat, from the sparse info I have.

Peace,
    Robert

Squib

The wet bit.

Those are cute, and odd!

What’s the deal with them? I’m not very smart about sailboats and racing and all that jazz, having spent most of my life paddling around in circles.

That looks a fun little boat to sail around. A little boom tent would be nice, I think.

Peace,
    Robert

I see nothing odd, just a standard fixed keel dayboat. There is or was a cabin version on the same hull. It has a different name which I can't remember.

Edit. I found it, the Hunter 19 (not to be confused with the U.S. Hunter brand).

Last edited by Hwyl; 10-14-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Those are cute, and odd!

What’s the deal with them? I’m not very smart about sailboats and racing and all that jazz, having spent most of my life paddling around in circles.

That looks a fun little boat to sail around. A little boom tent would be nice, I think.

Peace,
    Robert
    Read al about it
    A key clip
    The National Squib provides a superb sailing experience for people with disabilities. The East Anglian Sailing Trust bases its sailing programme on the Orwell River in Suffolk and recently purchased three new boats. The Squib class provided boats to facilitate the 2009 Special Olympics at Rutland Water.

I see nothing odd, just a standard fixed keel dayboat. There is or was a cabin version on the same hull. It has a different name which I can't remember.

Edit. I found it, the Hunter 19 (not to be confused with the U.S. Hunter brand).

I thought the deck looked odd.

What do I know?

Off to google for conversation, I suppose.

Peace,
    Robert

One of my associates, now over the bar, skippered a Thams barge across the Atlantic through the Canal and up to S. CA! Quite a feat!
    The boat belonged to a woman he was dating. She used the boat as a floating work place for her all girl crew!
    Jay

Squirt in person:

I have to say that she is the nicest mannered small boat that I have sailed; she is completely vice free ,and will do whatever you ask her to do.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT