Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When is a boat wooden?

Default Re: When is a boat wooden?

I'm currently fiber glassing an icebox for our boat. I honestly couldn't handle working with the stuff on a full time bases during a build.

A proper built wood hull has charisma. You see the grain and imperfections of a previously living organism, how the craftsman selected and prepared each piece just so. To me this is lost in other building methods.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for other construction methods due to service requirements or material availability. Pleasing looking vessels can be built out of fiberglass, plywood/epoxy,metal, striphull - but they just aren't wooden boats to me.

Cheers,
    Mark

What if I built a skin-on-frame kayak and skinned it in papyrus???

Quote Originally Posted by Recon1342 View Post
    What if I built a skin-on-frame kayak and skinned it in papyrus???
    Then it would be short-lived, in the wrong climate. But fragile in the right climate...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    Interesting exercise. Removing 500 kg of wood from my boat would leave about 100 kg of resin and glass and 675 kg of lead. If handled very gently it might hold its boat shape, especially if the wood was replaced by foam core. The mast however would fall down as soon as a seagull tried to land on the windex.
    Then it's clear, you obviously have a metal boat. The wood is buoyancy aid and you needed it only because you registered in the wrong forum. Had you registered on "metalboat forum" you would have learned to get by without it.

On "woodenboat forum" the big debate is: "If my epoxy is made from plants is it then equivalent to trunnels?" Some say it is so and epoxy is just a better trunnel, and other say not because trunnels are aplied with a hammer and not with a brush.

Redwing is ply on timber frame but I’m slowly covering the outside with fibreglass.
    To do something good
    with no
    Because.