Thread: The wife wants a dog

Default The wife wants a dog

Brody passed on in January. He was a rescue dog. Didn't get along well with other dogs (wanted to rip their throats out), barked incessantly when he was young (sharp ears!), scared to death of thunder and fireworks, but was faster than all get out, playful, and very much loved. We think he as 13 or so, a mix between a flat coat retriever and a Newfoundland.

His passing was really hard on me, I guess you could say he was my dog. After losing our beloved golden, I was against another pet.

Well, SWIMBO has other ideas. She has been looking at Great Pyrenees rescue dogs and she is getting me hooked. It doesn't take much, I admit.

Default Re: The wife wants a dog

Beautiful breed.

Sadly, lots need rescuing.
    http://www.greatpyreneesrescuesociety.org/
    Nosce te ipsum

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Get two.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Saw one the other day on the Ann Arbor criagslist looking for a new home.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

I think rescue dogs do more to rescue us than we do to rescue them.

dog2.jpg

We had the same isssue.
    Our dog died in Nov 2017.
    My wife and I decided we would not get another dog even thou was have always had dogs.

Well last month a friend at my wife's work brought in a very nice dog that needed a home.
    So we now have Lily a 3 year old smaller Golden lab.

It turns out our three boys laughed at us because they all knew we would get another dog.
    She is family dog number 4 all have been rescue dogs.

IMG_5112.jpg

Lily's a doll. Every family needs a Yellow Labrador Fish Retriever!

We have a five-year-old black lab/little river mix (rescue) who was never socialized well with other dogs but is too shy to do anything about it, and a cat that is soft and small and adept at voodoo (there is no other explanation for her ability to totally terrorize other cats without fighting or yowling), but Maureen is in preliminary discussions with the local animal shelter to become a foster family for dogs anyway. Life does become interesting at times...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

We lost our fifteen year old cocker spaniel Peaches and were lost without her. We met a lady who specializes in cockers and waited a year and a half till a litter came. We went to the puppy farm and sat with lots of puppies in our laps but Twinkle came up and untied the knot on my right shoe and on my heart. Now she is part of our family and the best dog we have ever had! Smart, she was easy to train and sleeps on the bed with us. Her tail never stops wagging.
    Life isn't life without a dog to share it with you!
    Jay & Annie

I love spaniel heads and faces. Twinkle's a beauty, but she needs a wine-colored doggie bed. It's difficult for old eyes to determine where the bed stops and the dog begins..or vice versa.

As the light at the end of the house remodel starts to 'twinkle' more brightly, we've started to tentatively consider another bout of dog companionship. Our favorite breed right now is the Boykin Spaniel, the state dog of South Carolina. They are AKA LBD (Little Brown Dog) or Swamp Poodle. I believe they have a bit of Cocker in their lineage.

Pretty dogs, Jay and Donn! I like spaniels and have been fond of corgis since I hiked around with one years ago.

We seem partial to big dogs. Our golden, Sandy, was 90 pounds. He'd sit next to the table and his head was above plate level. Brody had to strain to look over. He was quite a counter cruiser though. Couldn't leave food out when he was young, it was gone, like an entire loaf of chocolate bread.

Something about the absence of fur. It just seems wrong...

oregon trip 161.jpgGinger is a 9 yr old Sharpei/Boxer /+ mix (according to DNA) rescue dog who has been a hospital Animal Assisted Therapy Dog for 8 years. The grandson shown with her was very afraid of all dogs until a weeklong visit with Ginger cured that. Ginger provides wife and I therapy, too.

I couldn't imagine life without a dog. I will say it took me well over two years to get over loosing Lucky thar Dog. Ella and now Rosie filled that hole up good.

Rescued dogs are the best
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Donn Cockers are a great bread,

When Lucky passed LuLu the cocker in the house felt my pain and adopted me

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment