Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terrapin - a box boat in a box

Default Re: Terrapin - a box boat in a box

Never before seen a boat go together anything like that, slightly mind bending, but I like what I see.

Do you have any thoughts on how much a boat built from a kit might cost compared to the same boat built from raw materials?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    Didnít they used to ship broken down boats from Norway to Scotland, for assembly in Scotland? So nothing new here, a continuation of great traditions.
    Now that is cool! Didnt know that!

I must follow this. In a strange way I like the sharpies. Maybe because they are so totally different to our traditional boats in Norway. Maybe something like this design could be buildt in traditional methods

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    Didnít they used to ship broken down boats from Norway to Scotland, for assembly in Scotland? So nothing new here, a continuation of great traditions.
    Not Scotland, the Shetlands. There are no trees on the Shetlands so they imported timber and boats from Bergen, that and sawing American/Canadian driftwood logs.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thats outrageous! That would find me sitting inside for a while dreaming and contemplating already. I have been tossing the idea back and forth with my box keel project between frame and stringers, or making the interior part of the whole structure, so it will be interesting to follow along. Certainly not cheating, but i would miss all the milling of the timber, though its not quite the same with plywood. I have just had a quote from a outfit in the UK to CNC a kit for Nano ship, which sadly John will not be making plans for; im hoping the client will go for it. Keep the updates coming.

Wow, this just might turn out to be one of my favorite threads ever on this forum. I like the design, and the kit and assembly looks cool.

Hows does this variant differ from the first that John H. drew? Is this the wider version that was meant to accommodate two people? I always liked this design and will enjoy watching the build.

Jeff

That would find me sitting inside for a while dreaming and contemplating already.
    I'll confess to having put my shop stool in there and checking out the elbow room, and perhaps a bit of daydreaming, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD Marion View Post
    Hows does this variant differ from the first that John H. drew? Is this the wider version that was meant to accommodate two people? I always liked this design and will enjoy watching the build.

Jeff
    The only real difference is in replacing the jib and main with a balanced lug. The cabin trunk is a bit longer just because John decided to do that. The two person version is an idea, but as far as I know there's nothing on paper at this point.
    -Dave

I think that the longer cabin trunk will make a world of difference in arranging oneself into the bunk.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Do you have any thoughts on how much a boat built from a kit might cost compared to the same boat built from raw materials?
    Probably about double for the ply and timber, but the same cost for chemicals, sails, trailer, etc. For me it's worth the huge saving in time, plus it's hard to find the quality wood that came in the package. You could save a couple thousand or more piecing it together.
    -Dave

Sounds good. I found sourcing decent material for my build to be sometimes challenging. Getting decent ply supplied is a real bonus to the kit approach.