Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: Terrapin - a box boat in a box

Default Re: Terrapin - a box boat in a box

No, I haven't been goofing off. She's ready for some glass. I've decided not to get into carbon or other additives, but I do plan on doubling and even tripling the glass in the more critical areas. The tripling will come from tape along the chines.

My instinct is to trim the glass overlaps along the waterline or along some other line that will simplify fairing. But the 60" cloth I have for the bottom will easily overlap down the center about a foot, and still wrap over the chines. So it makes sense to double it up over that center plank. But then I got to thinking, the bottom is thick, but the sides are just 1/4" ply. Do I want to do what needs to be done to double the cloth at least to the waterline or a bit above? Or even more than that?

Project creep? How much glass does a little plywood boat really need.

ready for glass.jpg
    -Dave

I don't see much reason to double the glass anywhere but maybe the keel plank. Glass on the sides? It's not needed structurally, is it? So why bother? Do you plan on beaching the boat on its side much?

Then again, I'm lazy. And I want to see this boat hit the water, so the less glassing the better!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

The more glass the better, then you won't be worrying about bumping the odd underwater obstruction and won't have to think twice about beaching wherever it looks interesting. I wouldn't worry too much about overlaps unless planning a clear finish. If she is to be painted, fairing filler will sort out any lumps and bumps, not to mention filling in the weave.

I don’t know what the proper amount of glass for this boat. I do like tough bottoms. What looks vulnerable to me is the chine, with the sharp plywood edges. It seams easy to wack it on something and expose the ply. So whatever it would take to strengthen it would be good in my mind. Wether that is a couple layers of gloss and resin, one option for the termination of the glass would be a rubrail around the waterline. It would give you a transition point and a bumper. There is also the sacrificial rail/exterior-chine concept. To protect the ply on the chine.

Great work Wox!!
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Structurely, it probably does not need it. I like a sheathing on the bottom for abrasion purposes, and i usually do just above the waterline, even if its a lighter cloth than on the bottom. Bumps and scrapes above the waterline can be dealt with afloat if needed, not so easily below, so i like a little more protection down there other than paint. Depending on how you use your boat might lead to different views.

I built this little skiff back in 2001. The hull is 1/2" ply and flat bottomed similar to your boat. I gave the bottom one layer of FG mat in poly resin, and the bottom and sides up to the waterline a layer of cloth in epoxy resin.

It spends the summers getting run up on sandy shell covered beaches to go shell fishing. In 17 years the only maintenance the bottom has needed is fresh paint. The mat and cloth may be slightly overkill, but the effort and weight that it took to add the mat, not to mention the cost, were negligible compared to the entire project. But the piece of mind knowing that there is no problem if the cloth gets rubbed through is well worth it.

Don't worry too much about fairing in the cloth at the waterline. With some thickened epoxy, sanding and paint you will never see it. Unless the topsides will be bright, then it's a different story.

IMG_0149.jpg

-JP

If abrasion is expected then a layer of dynel or kevlar will do more for you than any particulate additive. My instinct is that this boat will only ever want it at the chines.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

You're probably right, Figment. The chines worry me the most. I ordered some 10 oz 3" glass tape that I'll put over the chines -- this on top of two layers of 6 oz cloth.

JP, no bright finish here. The hull will be painted. So I'm letting the fabric run up the sides rather than trim it off and throw away the excess. This means I'll have a double layer up by the bow where impacts are most likely. But yep, there will be a fair amount of fairing to be done. I'm not too troubled by this because even before glassing the sides weren't flat. There are two slight hollows that run fore and aft between the interior stringers. This came from bending the ends to the stems -- the light ply pulled in a bit, especially aft where the bend is most extreme.

The end goal is to have a boat that I'm comfortable running into the shallowest of water. My usual cruising grounds are mud and sand, but the plan is to go farther afield from time to time.
    -Dave