Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: Terrapin - a box boat in a box

Default Re: Terrapin - a box boat in a box

Black Bull 1-ton lift. I bought them through Amazon for $29.88 each. From China, a bit rough around the edges and coated in oil when they come out of the box. But they worked without a hitch. The range is 8 feet, enough for my application.

-Dave

Thanks Dave. Having straight stems certainly helps. I think i recall some guy using solid rod into some upright planks, rather than using an overhead lift, to roll a CMD Redwing 26. Glad to see it work out anyway.

So I just visited the CLC site because I really like this boat, and the site claims that it's not available yet, ie it's a "speculative design"

Just wondering how you managed to buy one?

Quote Originally Posted by earling2 View Post
    So I just visited the CLC site because I really like this boat, and the site claims that it's not available yet, ie it's a "speculative design"

Just wondering how you managed to buy one?
    The site hasn't been updated for awhile. Two kits have been shipped, one the standard canoe yawl model, and mine which has the balanced lug main and longer cabintop. If you want to order the plans or any of the kit options, John will send you a price list. I bought mine by first asking if a balanced lug was possible. John replied that he had a sketch somewhere because I was the second person to make the request. He dug out the sketch and found that there was actually a lot more work to be done, but agreed to do complete the design for the conversion on my promise to buy the kit. He did tell me that the lug option will probably become a standard item in the catalog. There's also a bigger version on the drawing board, designed to accommodate two cruisers.
    -Dave

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll really be interested to see the bigger version. Looking forward to watching yours progress, meanwhile. Cool boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Black Bull 1-ton lift. I bought them through Amazon for $29.88 each. From China, a bit rough around the edges and coated in oil when they come out of the box. But they worked without a hitch. The range is 8 feet, enough for my application.

Thank you sir for that info. It will be handy in the not so distant future. I'll pick up two through my Xmas wish list.

Oh dear? I know what I want for Xmas. I can see the SO rolling her eyes now. LOL
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

bump, any progress?

I've been working away at it, but I'm in one of those phases where the hours are put in, but it doesn't look much different. I'm almost ready to put the bottom on, which will close out the current stage of construction.

Here's what she looks like now. Chine logs and some other miscellaneous timber fitted, plus a big honking mast step forward.

bottom prepping.jpg

This piece will drop through a comparable partner at deck level. I had it made up at a local welding shop -- two aluminum channels connected with 1/4" plate and powder coated. It took some figuring. The original plans called for a very similar piece welded up entirely of 1/4" plate with a tapered foot. Two shops said it was impossible to build as drawn because the many feet of welded seams would cause it to get all wavy. So at one shop's suggestion, the U channel, a standard item, was substituted to replace three-piece sides with one-piece sides. It's heavier than what the original plan called for, but satisfyingly beefy to carry the 150 sq. foot unstayed main.

tabernacle.jpg

I've decided to glass the whole hull before flipping it upright, so I'll be into the glass and fairing work earlier in the process than usual. Seems to fit this boat, which doesn't follow any traditional building sequence that I know.
    -Dave

Dave, comin' along nicely

don't forget to cut a WEEP HOLE in the bottom of the bottom mast step to keep water from dwelling there and causing pre-mature rot

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Oooooh, that mast tabernacle is something! Being from alloy, is it really that heavy? I find it hard to imagine it is as heavy as using 1in thick oak as support braces. Cracking job. Guessing by the hole, it is a push fit into the heavy board , and not a bolted foot plate across the top.

It is surprising the shops reckoned no go on the long welds. Plenty of structures have long welds. However, what you've ended up with looks very neat and tidy, probably a cleaner look than a human made weld would have produced. Can't believe how fast your boat is coming together. She is really looking terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    It is surprising the shops reckoned no go on the long welds. Plenty of structures have long welds.
    I wondered about that, step welding is always used to reduce distortion, no welder who knows what he is doing would weld anything that length in one hit. Im all for "off-the-shelf" stuff if it fits right........and saves a lot of grinding welds.

Dude! Iím so excited for you!

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    Dave, comin' along nicely

don't forget to cut a WEEP HOLE in the bottom of the bottom mast step to keep water from dwelling there and causing pre-mature rot

sw
    SW, Thanks for that reminder. The step takes the Tabernacle, not the mast, but of course water can still intrude. But you got me thinking, that step is also a dam and needs weep holes, so I added them, too.
    Also here I'm fitting the flotation. The top strips will keep a half-inch clear across the bottom.
    I'm hoping all that packing dampens the noise at anchor on top of the safety issue.
    IMG_20181027_194406.jpg
    -Dave

The aluminum tabernacle is 28 pounds. Not sure what oak would be. The channel and bottom will be plugged with sitka. John Harris doesn't take chances here.
    I was told steel would take long seam welds, but not aluminum. They used stitch welds, about 5" each spaced the same distance apart. Regardless, it's massive compared to hardware I've seen on many boats.
    -Dave

Bueno!

th-6.jpeg

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I dont think 28lbs is excessive. What species timber is that mast step/floor? Was that in the kit?

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I dont think 28lbs is excessive. What species timber is that mast step/floor? Was that in the kit?
    The wood was in the kit. It's listed as mahogany, nothing more specific than that. CLC carries mahogany from Fiji and the Philippines so it's pretty clearly one of those.
    -Dave

OK, I am slow. I haven't looked at this thread because "Terrapin" isn't a design I knew or was interested in. But, turns out, had I bothered to read post #1, I'd have discovered it's about CLC's Autumn Leaves design, which I very much am interested in. Especially as a lug rig.

Now I've got a new long thread to read. Thanks for posting!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    OK, I am slow. I haven't looked at this thread because "Terrapin" isn't a design I knew or was interested in. But, turns out, had I bothered to read post #1, I'd have discovered it's about CLC's Autumn Leaves design, which I very much am interested in. Especially as a lug rig.

Now I've got a new long thread to read. Thanks for posting!

Tom
    Tom, my pleasure. One goal, renewed by a thread of yours, is to cruise the Georgian Bay. I think this boat will be appropriate.
    -Dave

So I've been wondering how I'll go about finding the framing when driving all the screws in to secure the bottom. I came up with this, which must have been done more than once before, but I can't recall seeing it myself.

I taped a piece of house wrap over the center of the boat, where things get complicated, and traced out all the frames. As long as I locate it properly on the bottom panels, the screws will land where they're supposed to. This particular house wrap has one non-stick side, so I put that down. That way, I can screw right through it and not worry about any epoxy that oozes up.

The bottom will go on in two layers. I think I'll use temporary screws for the first layer, and then a mix of permanent screws through both layers where there's framing, and temporary ones as needed elsewhere. Even doing that, I think I'll be able to screw right through my template when adding the second skin. I'll have to drill countersinks for the flat-head bronze screws anyway, so that should clear the wrap material by way of the screws that will stay.

The template will also show me where to cut open the bilge board case slots. Am I missing some critical point here?

23 bottom screw template.jpg
    -Dave

Got the first layer of bottom ply on. The plan calls for two layers, joints staggered, with butt joints. But the seams don't fall on any framing, so it was a matter of buttering up the edges and using ply cleats to temporarily keep things aligned. Crawling up under the boat to clean up the ooze was interesting. I hope that's the last time I'm in there while it's upside down.

You might notice some spars on the wall. When I can't move ahead on the hull for any reason, I keep busy with sub assemblies. Two yards and a mizzen mast are ready for finishing.

First bottom layer on.jpg
    -Dave

How did the template idea work out? I think that's a really great idea.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Worked like a charm. Most boats have frames that run straight across, so marking up a template would be overkill. But for this boat, I don't know how else I would have put the screws in the right places. Of course, it also helps that the bottom is flat. The wrap wouldn't lie well on a curvy hull.
    -Dave

Got the second layer on the bottom. This is a big step in my mind, at least. All the main pieces are in the boat now. There's still a ton of stuff to do, of course. But the big steps are behind me.

IMG_20181107_211150.jpg
    Last edited by Woxbox; 11-07-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    -Dave

Following along with great interest.

Launch date next week, then?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Sure, next week. When I told my wife I had the bottom on, her comment was, "So it will float, right?"
    -Dave

Now that it's an appreciable mass, how does it feel in terms of scale?
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Sure, next week. When I told my wife I had the bottom on, her comment was, "So it will float, right?"
    Thatís silly!

Of course it wonít float in ďfortĒ mode. But it does have a watertight roof!

Looking good, Brother.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Now that it's an appreciable mass, how does it feel in terms of scale?
    It does seem a bit more bulky in the garage than I expected it would. On the other hand, every boat I've had shrinks when wet. Especially as the shoreline recedes.
    Rightside up, the cockpit and cabin seem big enough -- not cramped but not generous, either. For a compact boat, the yard and boom have some heft to them -- each is about 14' long and cut square. They are hollow sitka, so the weight isn't excessive. But they are considerably bigger than the mast and yards on my Whisp, which has about half the sail area of the Autumn Leaves, but gets by with a set of spars maybe one-quarter the weight.
    -Dave

Assuming you are going to be doing any sheathing while she is still inverted, will you be adding anything into the epoxy mix, like copper powder or perhaps graphite?

It does seem a bit more bulky in the garage than I expected it would. On the other hand, every boat I've had shrinks when wet. Especially as the shoreline recedes.
    This sig line is proudly provided by The Wooden Boat Magazine Forum. If it ain't The Wooden Boat Mag, it just a rag.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Assuming you are going to be doing any sheathing while she is still inverted, will you be adding anything into the epoxy mix, like copper powder or perhaps graphite?
    Hadn't thought about that. I don't need antifouling with it living on a trailer. Have you tried graphite?
    -Dave

Hadn't thought about that. I don't need antifouling with it living on a trailer. Have you tried graphite?
    I built two CLC sea kayaks years ago, one with graphite/epoxy, the other just epoxy. They both got dragged up an assortment of sandy/gravelly/rocky beaches over several years. IMO, the graphite was a total waste of time, effort and money. It certainly didn't provide any extra wear protection, and to be honest, the only "benefit" I can see is that it is spectacularly good at hiding any evidence of wood butchery.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

The only copper and graphite i have used was on a daggerboard and its box housing. I cant tell you how it worked out as they are both still waiting to be fitted in a hull....... I know the copper works, and just heard good things about the graphite and thought i would try it, there does seem to be some postive feedback about it from some people.....but not Pete-Epoxyboy