Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touring Australia Question?

Default Touring Australia Question?

Nothing is writing yet but we may be down there in December. Can't change the timing, but we'll make do despite it being stinger and cyclone season.

Just in general, would it be safe to say the east coast would be best done via a car and staying in hotels, while the west coast (Perth to Broome) would be better done in a campervan?
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Default Re: Touring Australia Question?

If you're going to buy or rent a campervan why not get one early and skip the hotels? Hotels in small country towns sometimes aren't the best places to spend a night, (beds and mattresses from 1950?) Motels are better.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I would do a chunk of the East coast in a camper van and the rest by plane.
    Lots of your time and money can be spent getting between points of interest.
    Internal flights can be cheap and supplemented with a hire car at your destination.
    All the crap about dangerous critters is just that - you have worse at home

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    If you're going to buy or rent a campervan why not get one early and skip the hotels? Hotels in small country towns sometimes aren't the best places to spend a night, (beds and mattresses from 1950?) Motels are better.
    I thought the roads and parking in the Gold Coast area would be tight for a campervan. We are thinking about one of the slightly larger ones, with a shower and toilet. Something like this...

britzcamper.jpg

I'd prefer a Landcruiser with a pop up tent, but the ladies aren't going to rough it that much.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    I would do a chunk of the East coast in a camper van and the rest by plane.
    Lots of your time and money can be spent getting between points of interest.
    Internal flights can be cheap and supplemented with a hire car at your destination.
    All the crap about dangerous critters is just that - you have worse at home
    I'm all about flying from the east coast to the west coast. As a family, we want to explore the west coast and do some camping along the beach as we drive up to Broome.

The Gold Coast to me, is more about the 'must do' items. You don't go to Australia and skip the GBR, even if it's only for a quick snorkel (in stinger gear as needed.) Steve Irwin's zoo is on the list too. Not my choice.

I think I can plan out hotel/motels stops better on the east coast with a day to day itinerary , and have a bit more freedom to roam on the west coast.

Not sure if it's wrong, but the north coast hasn't really interested us. Nor has Uluru. At least not this time around.

Kakadu is a must see.
    Grateful Dead

The reef is dead. The east coast is kind of a tacky version of Las Vegas. Tasmania is wonderful. The West Coast is bigger than you can imagine, with less people than you thought possible. But you'll love it wherever you go, it's still better than anywhere else in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Kakadu is a must see.
    Googling the Park now. See a couple 'culture tours' that are highly recommended. Would this be a good place to delve into Aboriginal culture?

What other items in the area do yo recommend?

00Y0Y_d8hl8RwSNPG_600x450.jpg
    Selling our beloved Kia campervan due to overseas move. The van has been the intermittent home of my husband and I for the past 2 years and it breaks our hearts to let her go. She has carried us as far as the Daintree river and beyond and been my husbands day to day workhorse for many months. She has everything you'd ever need including a solar panel that powers a separate battery, Camec solar charge controller, a pure sin wave inverter, plugs to charge your phone or computer and is able to run a fan all night long on those hot summer nights. Fall asleep in pure comfort while watching the 200 LED lights twinkle in the ceiling above you and listen to your favorite music with surround sound speakers. Mechanically sound and great engine, regularly serviced and maintained. New tyres late last year with great tread and Rego and Green Slip till Jan '19. Hopefully you can find the same enjoyment with it and let her take you on more adventures! Feel free to contact me at 0451554524 so we can set up and time for you to come and have a look, you won't be disappointed!
    https://sydney.craigslist.com.au/rvs...591049366.html

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I thought the roads and parking in the Gold Coast area would be tight for a campervan. We are thinking about one of the slightly larger ones, with a shower and toilet. Something like this...

britzcamper.jpg

I'd prefer a Landcruiser with a pop up tent, but the ladies aren't going to rough it that much.
    Murwillumbah, south of the Gold Coast has camping at the showground.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    The reef is dead. The east coast is kind of a tacky version of Las Vegas. Tasmania is wonderful. The West Coast is bigger than you can imagine, with less people than you thought possible. But you'll love it wherever you go, it's still better than anywhere else in the world.
    Well, we gotta pay our respects to the reef.

Not sure we have the time for Tasmania, but I could use some advice for the Adelaide.

The East coast does have it's good points. Some of the beaches are gorgeous and the hinterland is beautiful. I was just baiting my Eastern mates. Just the Gold Coast is a bit tacky, and the closer you get to Sydney the more people and traffic. The roads are all fine for a camper, and there's plenty of well appointed caravan parks everywhere. Adelaide, well I love it. It's a beautiful and very easy and safe city. Surrounded by wine regions. The Barrossa is most heavily promoted and therefore most popular. I prefer the Adelaide Hills or the Southern Vales. Flinders Ranges is superb. Interesting outback rather than just flat desert. Adelaide has lovely suburban beaches right along its length, and further south are more pristine and rugged beaches. There are several National Parks around Adelaide with great walking and mountain biking trails. You can hire an electric mountain bike and just cruise around or do some guided off road riding. Or you can hire a couple of Porsche Boxsters for a day and tour the wineries in real style. Australia is a great country to drive, and I reckon you lose some of the perspective if you hop in a plane. 3 or 4 days or a week driving from Adelaide to Perth really gives you a feel for the scale, the beauty and the emptiness. You just don't get that watching a crap movie at 30,000 feet.

Googling the Park now. See a couple 'culture tours' that are highly recommended. Would this be a good place to delve into Aboriginal culture?

What other items in the area do yo recommend?
    Google......'' aborigine cultural tours Northern Territory''. I don't know the NT well.
    Grateful Dead

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

gidday mite, you stalk strine!

I'd be avoiding the Gold Coast myself, and to see the GBR you'd be heading at least 1000kms or 2000kms further north. Welcome to metric!
    The distances would be similar to the USA but the population density is much lower. I don't think anyone lives between Perth and Broome. Port Headland and Karratha, and those places, only exist on the news - not in real life.

Noreast side, The Daintree is worth a look + GBR + Crocodiles.
    December - start north and work your way down. You'll miss the cyclones. How long are you staying?

Noice North of Broome and definitely into Kakadu - but that's wet season, so you'll need a decent vehicle if you want to go off piste. If you drive into Arhem Land you may need a permit from the land owners. The three rivers on route to Nhulunbuy have been bridged recently, but still unsealed roads + tropical rain = a bugger.

Roaming on the West coast = lots of the same, until you're south of Perth. Shark Bay is famous for ancient marine stuff and for sharks. i think whale sharks aggregate there at some point in the year - not sure when.
    South and South West of Perth is very beautiful.
    Those Marri and Karri forests are unbelievable. Most campervan hirers won't let you go on unsealed roads - which is pretty much most of Australia off the Princes Highway - but you have to do it to get into those forests.

And if 'more of the same' is your thing, drive across the Nullarbor to get to the East.

Poisonous creatures are not a problem, venomous ones on the other hand.......
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

I've driven Sydney to Cairns (and back), and it's a long way. Same same, but more to do Sydney to Perth (and back). Did both 35 years or so ago. Roads won't be much different. Also drove to Cairns, then rode up to the tip and back and then across the guts to just north of the centre, turned right and went to Darwin.

Take it from me, if your time is limited, don't do those sort of drives... just fly and hire cars locally.

Here's a suggestion. Fly into Sydney, hire a car and drive to Brisbane... maybe even going up onto Fraser Island, although you may need to book onto a tour for that without your own 4x4 - it's the world's largest sand island. That'll cover off your Irwin duty too. Back to Brisvegas, fly to Cairns (maybe via the Whitsundays... see below) and explore around there - Port Douglas, just north of Cairns is prettier than Cairns, so maybe base there for three or four days before flying to Perth and THEN hire a campervan for the drive north. Whale sharks at Exmouth. Take me, I'll go.

I did a tourism job on the Great Barrier Reef about 20 years ago. Flew to Cairns, hired a car, drove south, interviewing tourist operators on and offshore all the way down the reef. That took me 3 weeks.... and I missed a hell of a lot. One highlight was the Whitsunday Islands. You can rent a yacht there btw. Would be a great week.

The reef is most definitely NOT dead. I'd recommend Passions of Paradise - in Cairns - for a reef trip - snorkeling or diving. I can't locate anything on Ed Green's Malaita - nice guy, built a pearling lugger replica in the Solomon Islands. It was running out of Port Douglas. Maybe Bernadette will know. Definitely a must do if it's still around.

Tjapukai Cultural Centre is worth a visit. http://www.tjapukai.com.au/ Given I've recommended it, Old Mate will probably sneer at it, but it is one of the good indigenous cultural experiences. The chair lift over the rainforest is fabulous too. IIRC it's near Tjapukai... near Cairns.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

^ Why should you assume yet again of any of my critiques? My Yaelandji relations work there. Typical migaloo dreck by an assumptive colonial migaloo bunji.
    Last edited by purri; 06-22-2018 at 04:57 AM.
    Xanthorrea

would be better done in a campervan?
    motorcycles bro, wth!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    motorcycles bro, wth!

Now we takin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Now we takin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    f the cayman. I am in!

Otherwise fly and rent cars locally. Do a couple of bush planes too. I don’t want to offend but Australia is wonderful but not as grande as the US in terms of diverse spectacular scenery. And those stingers - the small no see them one or the man-a-wars hurt.

I liked how KC and I did our first exploration of Australia doing the 4 corners and meeting my new friends.

King Moonraiser:
    A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.

Stingers won't cause you any grief out on the Reef. They will on the in-shore beaches though.... so it's hotel pool or out on the reef. Only up north, though. Not south of the GBR.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Stingers won't cause you any grief out on the Reef. They will on the in-shore beaches though.... so it's hotel pool or out on the reef. Only up north, though. Not south of the GBR.
    The beaches are pretty and it is hard to not want to swim regardless of the threat.

Those day charters out of Port Douglas to snorkel or dive the reef are good. Do the reef like Phil says before the corals are gone. They are/were better than what I have seen in Hawaii or Central America. You don’t need a tank to see 20 different species of bright coral as they within a few kicks of each other along with the multitudes of fish associated with it.
    King Moonraiser:

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    We are looking at snorkeling the southern tip of the reef. Maybe Lady Elliot Island or Lady Musgrave Reef. Drivable from Sydney in 2-3 days. Then fly out of there to Adelaide or whichever place is next.

Any thoughts on snorkeling that far south compared to up north?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    f the cayman. I am in!

Otherwise fly and rent cars locally. Do a couple of bush planes too. I don’t want to offend but Australia is wonderful but not as grande as the US in terms of diverse spectacular scenery. And those stingers - the small no see them one or the man-a-wars hurt.

I liked how KC and I did our first exploration of Australia doing the 4 corners and meeting my new friends.

Thanks for the ideas Ted. More video please.

Phil Y, thanks for the Adelaide tips! I’m wondering if that shouldn’t be our next stop after Bundaberg? We would probaby
    fly between those two spots.
    Last edited by BrianW; 06-22-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Phil Y, thanks for the Adelaide tips! I’m wondering if that shouldn’t be our next stop after Bundaberg? Would fly between those to spots.
    Meeting the boys in Adelaide - Phil so generous and Bruce at the club... it was one of the big highlights of my trip down there.

King Moonraiser:

We would like to meet as many WBF friends as possible while there.

Should be several between Sydney and the Gold Coast area. Not sure if there are many between Sydney and Melbourne.

Heck, the main reason to visit the Perth area is to track down the Wild Dingo.

Despite any differences we experience in the Bilge, we've always had a great time meeting WBF folks in person.

Lizard Island.

When I returned to Viet Nam from my 2nd R&R in Oz, I swore if I ever returned, I'd spend a week fishing out of Lizard Island. It's pretty close to due north of Cairns, about 3/4 of the way between the Oz coast and the GBR.

I flew the Manila/Hong Kong/Da Nang leg of the trip back to RVN beside a Marine grunt Gunnery Sergeant, who was returning from a week at Lizard Island, and he had stories and about 8" of photographs of the "Mother Ship" fishing (he took two 3-day trips back-to-back). He had re-upped (extended his enlistment) for 6 more years, and shot the entire $10,000 bonus on this fishing trip.

It sounds expensive for 1969, but the stories and photographic proof, made it sound more than worthwhile. It looks like Lizard itself may have become a tad more swanky, but the conditions which combined to produce high-quality fishing are still there. It's a 40-minute run from Lizard to the eastern shelf of the GBR. The mother ship parks inside the reefs and runs skiffs out for bottom fishing on or off the reefs, and deep-sea trolling out past the GBR.

Ultimate Fishing

PS...December is in the height of Black Marlin season, and they regularly go over a grand in that part of the oceans.

Imagine!

(This is off Panama, another Black Marlin hot spot)

Brian,
    I live about a hundred miles south of Sydney, I can't offer you any fancy tourist things or trips into the bush, but, I can offer you a tour of the piece of paradise I call home.

I need a heads up an about an hour to get the coffee on an clean up after the grandson.

I hope your trip shows you the mind numbing beauty of our country and the friendlyness of the people.

Take care an watch out for the wildlife an you'll be jake!!!

Beware of drop bears!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBarney View Post
    Brian,
    I live about a hundred miles south of Sydney, I can't offer you any fancy tourist things or trips into the bush, but, I can offer you a tour of the piece of paradise I call home.

I need a heads up an about an hour to get the coffee on an clean up after the grandson.

I hope your trip shows you the mind numbing beauty of our country and the friendlyness of the people.

Take care an watch out for the wildlife an you'll be jake!!!
    Sounds great! I should be up in Albion Park Rail for awhile, before the family arrives. I'll let you know when I get there, and maybe we can have a coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Beware of drop bears!
    Keeping my head on a swivel brother.

Reminds me of another time in Costa Rica. SWMBO'd has a serious snake phobia and while walking down a tree lined path to a restaurant, one of the trees she walked under had a small snake in it, not below the lowest branches, but low enough I saw it. As it was too late to stop her, except for right under the snake, I let her enjoy herself and told her about it later that night.

Brian you are welcome to call in. My schedule is flexible so happy to show you around.

Brian,

We live 5km from the CBD and 1km from the beach at Coogee (Randwick). Gareth and Marilyn stayed about 200 metres away with some ocean views, Reasonable prices. BTW Bondi is a proverbial. Albion Park Rail is 90km south and another 30km to Barney at Nowra. Do a Utube for the ocean walk. part of my daily stroll. Cheap eats if you know where.
    Xanthorrea

I'm pretty sure we can rustle up some accomodation in Sydney, Brian. My situation is somewhat fluid these days... I'm either at one house or the other.... and six months off is beyond what I can say for certain - I might even be off on a trip around Oz myself at that stage. Check with us before you book any Sydney accom. and we will see. If I'm in town, there's no way you are paying for a room in Sidernee. There's a dog at each house... but they're both friendly. The rest of the inhabitants are mostly OK too.

Re the GBR. Scuba diving will give you a far better experience. I've done it a couple of times - albeit shouldn't have, as I get occasional asthma - and the fish treat you very differently. You become accepted, rather than being treated as an outsider. Some of the trips available have some big friendly wrasse and they will come up to divers. Great stuff.

The fishing trips mentioned by Donn are still available. I interviewed one guy running a 100' or so boat. Further south than Cairns. My cousin did a trip with him. About a week... a LONG way out, but still around various reefs. They had a fabulous time. Some other Americans have been here before you. This bloke used to stay with my grandparents in Batehaven (near Batemans Bay)

AnAmericanAngler-PGA.jpg

He tried to clean out all those nasty pointed things from the water. One day's catch at the Bay

onedayscatchbatemansbayzanegrey.jpg

The family will miss whale watching season.... but as mentioned, the whale sharks at Exmouth in WA may be an option. I'm not sure if they have a 'season'.