Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Touring Australia Question?

Default Re: Touring Australia Question?

You’ll miss good entertainment if you don’t schedule a dinner with Ian too.
    Another Australian experience personally personified in the towering worldly forumite legend. I recommend bringing a hollow leg.
    King Moonraiser:
    A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Another Australian experience personally personified in the towering worldly forumite legend. I recommend bringing a hollow leg.
    I have some memories of that night. Pain being one of them.

I do recall that I was not long out of hospital, with lots of new metal in my tibia.

If it wasn't for the fact that I still have the leftover endone and targin, I'd have suspected I may have been as high as a kite.

I also remember wandering around the streets of Sydney, looking for some long vanished restaurant.

Next time, Ted... we're riding. Road trip somewhere.

I would love to introduce you to Laos. A ride pass for Thailand might be asking too much, unless you bring KC.... but you are safe in Laos (from the women, that is. Sex is illegal there)
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Wouldn't miss it! Although... Mr. Ross is probably taller...

vegasebs.jpg
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

With height like that... he is Mr Ross.

a Sydney harbor cruise with lunch on board is nice. It helps you understand thier obsession with recreational boating and the sea. I also enjoyed the maritime museum right on the harbor.

King Moonraiser:

Ted, That's our boat Amber K at 16 seconds in, moored at Taylors Bay: Gurriga in Kameraigal language. There are several traditional stone fish trap complexes, petroglyphs etc nearby
    Last edited by purri; 06-22-2018 at 10:35 PM.
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Ted, That's our boat Amber K at 16 seconds in, moored at Taylors Bay: Gurriga in Kameraigal language. There are several traditional stone fish trap complexes, petroglyphs etc nearby
    That is great. I can only imagine the days you must have there. If I was 25 again, I would be living there.
    King Moonraiser:

Consider the Bamurru Plains if you can swing it. It is the true Northern Australia experience if you can swing it done in nice luxury. I know John if you want to go.

Don't turn your back to the river... the crocs will get you.

King Moonraiser:

Well, it's looking more like a late December vacation now. I suspect airline tickets will be getting purchased soon, first by my employer, then by me for the family.

What do you folks think of the town Seventeen Seventy? Seems like a good location to swim the GBR at Lady Musgrave Island without going too far north.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Also Seventeen Seventy is a good 15hr drive. I'd like to break that up into 3 days if possible. I could use some suggestions on places to stop for the night those 3 days.

Looks like the Steve Irwin Zoo (Australia Zoo) is 11hrs from Sydney, so that would be a good place to arrive the second day. Guess I just need a place in-between Sydney and Beerwah.

Other ideas and suggestions are much appreciated. Unfortunately, the zoo is not my idea, and not very negotiable.
    Last edited by BrianW; 10-10-2018 at 09:20 PM.

How about the QLD/NSW border, we (Mr Sibley, Duncan and myself) could meet up for an EBS.
    When are you planning this trip?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    How about the QLD/NSW border, we (Mr Sibley, Duncan and myself) could meet up for an EBS.
    When are you planning this trip?
    Yeah! You guys name the place!

The vacation part will be from December 18th-Jan 5th.

I'm torn on where to spend New Years Eve. Sydney is the obvious choice, but we're not rich, and we don't like crowds. But we do love fireworks on the water.

We still want to get out west, to Perth at least. So if we decide to do NYE in Sydney, we should head west first, then make our way back to the eastern side.

I'd like to get some recommendations on NYE firework shows not in Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Yeah! You guys name the place!

The vacation part will be from December 18th-Jan 5th.

I'm torn on where to spend New Years Eve. Sydney is the obvious choice, but we're not rich, and we don't like crowds. But we do love fireworks on the water.

We still want to get out west, to Perth at least. So if we decide to do NYE in Sydney, we should head west first, then make our way back to the eastern side.

I'd like to get some recommendations on NYE firework shows not in Sydney.
    I will be seeing Peter on Sunday so will raise it with him.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Lennox Head is a nice town and beach. Byron Bay was before everyone from Sydney moved up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Lennox Head is a nice town and beach. Byron Bay was before everyone from Sydney moved up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Phil!

Still looking for NYE (New Years Eve) alternatives for Sydney.

Starting to doubt the wisdom of going to Perth, although we'd love to meet Shane. But it's the wrong season for just about everything on that side. The only other cool factor would be snorkeling in the Indian Ocean.

The Sydney fireworks are really something to experience.... but yes, crowds are a factor. I don't know if any on-water or restaurant tickets are still available.... but they are seriously worth it.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Hey Brian, fireworks at NYE is a thing in Australia. I'd be surprised if any local council doesn't do a half decent display.
    On Jervis Bay we have watched three fireworks displays on at 3 different locations simultaneously.
    You'll probably get good info on a council website if you have an idea of where you might be.

Down near me, Wollongong, does a very good display that can be watched from a bunch of beaches north of it. Most places also do a 9.30pm display for famillies.

A suggestion;
    Stay in Wollongong, south of Sydney, somewhere like Thiroul, or, if you have a camper van try Coledale camp site (small camp site right on the beach - book now!). http://coledalebeach.com.au/coledale-camping-reserve
    Get train into Sydney - 90mins, about AU$15 return for an adult.
    Watch the 9.30pm Sydney fireworks at Darling Harbour (will be a bit crowded).
    Get train back to the Gong.
    Watch the midnight display - which is a much more leisurely affair, from a beach. Bring cold wine and some nibbles. Bring a fold up chair to both.
    Go for a midnight swim if you haven't skulled a few frosties with the locals.

I've worked on the Sydney display. For midnight, they have about 7 barges all loaded with identical fireworks up and down the harbour, plus the bridge.
    The 9.30pm display is exactly the same but with 1 barge (I think they have 3 these days). So you see the same thing - without the bridge.

Heading west - and then making your way back - that'll be most of your vacation spent looking at a very intersting, but monotonous, desert.
    I'd say pick a side and take your time. Or fly west for a few days and fly back.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    The Sydney fireworks are really something to experience.... but yes, crowds are a factor. I don't know if any on-water or restaurant tickets are still available.... but they are seriously worth it.
    I used to work at the Opera House and watched the display form there a couple of times.
    Absolutely THE prime spot.
    Definitely a once in a lifetime experience, expensive but the experience would be something else.
    Crowds are not an issue at the Opera House. Emergency egress is limited so they only allow a small number of people on the peninsula. You can still get tickets i think. https://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/eve...era-house.html

You are also right under the display and it is loud and all round you. Quite something.

Tricky to get home.
    Last edited by gypsie; 10-16-2018 at 01:07 AM.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Kakadu is a must see.
    OH YES! But if you go there don't just drive in, look around you for a couple of hours and head on back toward wherever you came from.
    Park up, set up camp and stay for a while, walk around, let the place soak into your soul . Its not a small area, its bigger than some countries! But astonishing scenery.

I've driven a lot of miles in Aussie, seriously don't underestimate driving times and distances. That place is about the same size as the contiguous states of the USA and its got less than 10% of the population, its a hell of a long way from anywhere to anywhere else most of the time.
    If you're going out of town make sure you have water, food, first aid and communications equipment on board. Seriously.

That said, there is some extraordinary scenery, deserts that you could drop the whole of Arizona into a corner of and never notice it, coastlines that are mesmerisingly beautiful, friendly hospitable people, but do be aware that park rangers can be tough on campers.
    Great place, have a good time, don't try and do too much in a short time, its a huge place.

John Welsford
    Last edited by john welsford; 10-16-2018 at 03:02 AM. Reason: added some detail.
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Also Seventeen Seventy is a good 15hr drive. I'd like to break that up into 3 days if possible. I could use some suggestions on places to stop for the night those 3 days.

Looks like the Steve Irwin Zoo (Australia Zoo) is 11hrs from Sydney, so that would be a good place to arrive the second day. Guess I just need a place in-between Sydney and Beerwah.

Other ideas and suggestions are much appreciated. Unfortunately, the zoo is not my idea, and not very negotiable.
    If you're going up that way, do stop at the "Ettamogah pub" on the Bruce Highway, the foods ok, but take a good look at the Ken Maynard cartoons, some of those are great commentary on Australian country life. Dont go near the half buried water tank with the chainsaw sculpted dog.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Ken_Maynard_(cartoonist)

But drive from Sydney to the Australia Zoo? Thats a damn long drive, I've done it. I was working, but wouldn't want to do it while on holiday, a drive like that is hard work.
    I was disappointed in the Australia Zoo too, even though Steve Irwin was the guy feeding the croks at the time, its not big and at least then wasn't that well organised. I did get a photo though of our family with an 80 lb snake wrapped around our shoulders. It could have improved since then though.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

[QUOTE=john welsford;5698518]But drive from Sydney to the Australia Zoo? Thats a damn long drive.. [QUOTE]

You could make that Syd - Beerwah a 2 day drive and simply stop off at the zoo en route.
    An hour in the zoo would be heaps - and have lunch.
    Maybe - Syd to Coffs Harbour, Coffs to Beerwah. Thats probably 2 x 8hr drives.

I'm taking notes folks, and appreciate all the advice so far!

Whereabouts would the QLD/NSW EBS happen? I'm thinking about Dec 20-21st timeframe would be good for us.

Right now it's looking like drive from Sydney to Cairns, with several stops/days in between.

Fly from Cairns to Perth, for a few more days of snorkeling (Rottnest Island, "The Aquarium") and general sightseeing around there. Not going to drive north from Perth, it's just not the right season.

Fly from Perth to Adelaide, then drive to Melbourne and back up to Sydney.