Thread: Long time listener first time caller.

Default Long time listener first time caller.

Hello everyone I've been stalking a few of you for quite awhile now. The question is can I ever forgive Jay Greer. One look, well maybe more then one of his pride and joy, and I just he'd to go out and buy my own. That's right within the next few months I plan to start the restoration of Cassandra a 1950's H28 and I'm gonna need all the help I can get.6609318_20180209082653921_1_XLARGE (2).jpg

Default Re: Long time listener first time caller.

Welcome aboard.

Does that rust streak indicate that she was iron fastened?

You're about as far from salt water as you can get. Was Cassandra kept in fresh water? If so, perhaps she was named because no one believed such a salty boat would be in mid-contenent.

Did you get or do a survey?

She looks well worth the effort.

G'luck

She came off the coast soon to be fresh water. I've always been a huge Herreshoff fan so I couldn't turn her down.

Looks like lots of potential there. I like that fact that the cabin is as drawn -- many if not most have a raised doghouse aft. Bad idea. Take lots of photos, especially in the dark depths of the hull, and post. I worked on restoring and sailing an H28 some years ago. It's just a pleasant boat to be aboard.

What's your long-term plan for sailing?
    -Dave

Looking forward to seeing your progress!
    Being totally ignorant of Kansas, I have to ask where you will sail the boat. I envision Kansas as just endless prairie.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I believe that the H28 has such a pure and simple grace the way she was originally drawn. How anyone could alter her lines is beyond me, if she had a raised dog house I wouldn't have looked twice. Short term plans are to redo all of the exterior paint and varnish and launch next spring on our local lake. Long term she will get gutted and redone on the interior and head back to the coast when I retire in 10 years.

Thanks

Nice Find! Looks good already. Looking forward to seeing more pics

Thanks

If you scan back over some of the LastBoat threads you'll see that I'm not one for slavish devotion to every LFH peccadillo, especially not regarding the interior. However, there's a certain inevitability to a very small space. The interior as designed is about as good as you can get. Instead of the cedar bucket, which would be illegal anyway, get an "AirHead". Located just abaft the mast and hidden by some fold-away paneling, it will be a little higher than the seat bench height but won't interfere with the pipe berths.

Simpler and better than a pipe berth which is a rectangle of pipe and lashed is the Root berth, which is two strong pipes running through sleaves on the long edges of the canvass. For rigidity of the pipes I used two such that the ID of the larger matched the OD of the smaller. To help keep the canvass from stretching I made it double thick full length and added a third layer from where my butt landed to where by shoulders landed.

The outboard pipe rides in blocks of wood with two open U U routered in to take the pipe ends. The inboard pipe landing is a longer horizontal block with three U U U routered in so that in calm conditions the canvass could be stretched flat but as it gets rougher you can add some sag. I thought about sewing in some foam but found than unnecessary.

This is simpler and more durable that the traditional pipe berth and when you are up, you simply put the inboard pipe into the empty U outboard, leaving your bedding folded in neatly out of sight.

G'luck

Good thoughts Ian and I appreciate them and all the advice I can get. My plans for when I do the interior are to move the settees forward towards the mast and to raise them up for tankage space. One of the settees will fold out to make a larger bunk. I don't feel like I need such a large v berth anyway, it will probably be used for just storage. This should give me room to extend the galley and build a head opposite it, and yes I'll use a airhead or something similar. Check out this photo of a Dana 24.dana24-layout.jpgdana24-layout.jpg

Thinking along those lines for an interior for crusing.

Welcome to the H28 club Buek, I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with her. What else can you tell us about her? What is she built from? How is her gear and what sort of shape is the timber and fastenings in?

I’d suggest be a little circumspect about using other designs like the Dana 24 as a basis for the H28 interior, the Dana may be shorter but she appears to have more “belly” to her allowing more interior volume and the settees to sit more outboard. On my H28 I’ve chosen to try and get my seated headroom outboard under the side decks to keep her living space as wide as possible and that entailed mocking up seats with MDF and old ply. It works but the passage space between the settees is still reasonably narrow.

So I’d suggest when you get to that stage, strip her out and start playing with mock ups to get the configuration that suits you best.

Cheers and good luck, Greg
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Echoing Lark's warning about what will fit. One wishes that the article in WoodenBoat #262, May/June 2018 had pics of the accomodation.

LFH's plan gives a cabin sole of about 3' at it's widest. The gap pipe berth to pipe berth when both are deployed is a bit over 2' which is minimal. If you raise the seat level you'll be forced to sit further inboard since your head will no longer fit under the deck, requiring that fixed berth to go further towards the centerline than the pipe berths go. You could easily end up with barely a foot between the berths. While it would be easy to have a plank and cushion to fill that in gap making an 8' wide romper room, such hedonism does not seem to be in the LFH spirit.

Do you have "Sensible Cruising Designs"? In the long chapter on the H-28, LFH has a lovely essay on how to make sense of such a small space.

G'luck

It's on the list. I won't know what to do with the interior until I get her home and that won't be for a couple of months. I'm just looking for ideas on making her more cruiser friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buek's View Post
    It's on the list. I won't know what to do with the interior until I get her home and that won't be for a couple of months. I'm just looking for ideas on making her more cruiser friendly.
    "Do or do not. There is no try."

You might look at how Morse did the "Pullman" berth on the 28' Bristol Channel Cutters for an idea or two. They're a lot beamier, but the idea is there. Maybe something with a flip-out knee to support the bunk instead of the slide?

Thanks I've thought about that too. I guess I'm basically looking for 2 things a place for the composting head that my pillow won't be resting on and a way to install a stove with oven. The problem is how to rearrange things to create the space.

Well Bueks, I find it exciting to have another H28 owner with us. I must admit that when I first read the intro tag I was a bit edgy to find that I was blamed for something but delighted to read on and find out why. In truth, I don't know anything about boats.
    We are all looking forward to hearing more about your new little ship! We are hauled out right now and so will write more later.
    Jay

Thanks for the reply Jay if she turns out half as nice as Bright Star I'll be happy.

Thanks for your reply I'm only about 5'5" so I might be able to tweak things a little to gain some room. The main reason I joined besides the fact that I have always loved the classic wooden sailboats is to use all the years of experience that hang out here. Everyone's replies are always welcome and the information is always appreciated.

IMG_5739.jpg a few more pictures hopefully

IMG_5742.jpg

and one more