Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: Bail Revoked, Paul Manafort Jailed

Default Re: Bail Revoked, Paul Manafort Jailed

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I do not claim Trump has been convicted of a crime, and it is possible he will never be convicted of a crime, either because he's innocent or because he's managed to corrupt the justice system. Time will tell.

And I must say, I was really heartened by your condemnation of Trump when he led chants of 'lock her up!' about Clinton.

No, wait, that wasn't you...
    If i comment on HC.

Trump still not a criminal..

If i do not comment on HC.

Trump still not a criminal.

Trump is DEFINITELY a criminal.

Along with his entire crime family.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Even if it is a complete fabrication by the opposition designed to lose him an election, backed by intelligence services? I have no doubt Trump is as dirty as Clinton, neither of them deserve (my opinion) that position. I believe he is withdrawing the US from the United Nations Humans Rights agreement just now. Kind of says everything......
    As noted earlier, dirt files are common as far as I know. Given the position Trump was aiming for (and achieved) carrying out a form of background investigation seems reasonable.

Sure, it could be dirty politics, but since when as US presidential politics been clean? And if the investigation services were involved, why did they not create some more serious dirt and mock up some realistic-looking "evidence"?
    Has BigFella and SkyBlue on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post

Sure, it could be dirty politics, but since when as US presidential politics been clean? And if the investigation services were involved, why did they not create some more serious dirt and mock up some realistic-looking "evidence"?
    "create more serious dirt" is the key phrase, maybe. I do not think even Trump thought he was going to win. The dossier may have been just to pass a rough scrutiny, but with the intention to smear Trump and secure Clintons victory. From the actions of the Justice Department and FBI, it would appear no one thought of a possible backfire and the request for actual facts ,rather than a case of "he said-she said". Its not much different from the way Assange has been treated for releasing the truth about the slaughter of the Reuters news journalists in Iraq, if you smear someone enough at every opportunity, its as good as killing them. One has to ask, if the US government tries to bury something that is actually true, how hard are they going to try to bury something that is possibly fake and of their own creation?
    I understand under recent testimony, Horowitz has stated...

“That should not be downplayed by anybody,” Horowitz said. “I cannot think of anything more concerning than law enforcement officer suggesting that they may use their powers to effect a presidential election.”

Grassley stated:

“The FBI has managed to promote a culture that winks at unauthorized disclosures to the press but punishes legally-protected whistleblowing. It stiff-arms Congressional oversight to hide embarrassing facts, while it leaks self-serving tidbits to friendly reporters bearing gifts. Director Wray has quite a mess to clean up,”

and

“McCabe’s lawyer wrote that his client would rely on his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination to avoid answering any questions here today.”
    “Mr. Comey’s attorney tells us he is out of the country, although I saw he was in Iowa over the weekend,” Grassley stated in his opening statement.
    “According to his twitter feed, he seems to be having a wonderful time. This is the second time since he was fired that Mr. Comey refused an invitation to testify here voluntarily. He has time for book tours and television interviews, but apparently no time to assist this Committee, which has primary jurisdiction over the Justice Department.”

I find it hard to comprehend that many do not see a two-tier justice system at work.

And i will add, anyone who has been on the end of a gag-order, will know that truth, and your rights to freedom of speech and expression can be quashed by a government who just does not like what you say, especially when it reflects badly on them.

Looking good Paul.

© Alexandria Sheriff's Office/Handout via REUTERS Former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort is shown in this booking photo in Alexanderia, Virginia, U.S., July 12, 2018.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

So... Alexandria, I guess they moved him so he could be closer to his attorneys then?
    Be careful what you wish for! He went from a friggin country club to a maximum security jail. Justice is working perhaps...

"Defense attorneys, in part, based their request for a trial delay on a lack of proximity to their client, whose Warsaw, Va., jail cell is located about 100 miles from the site of his upcoming trial in Alexandria. They said the distance made it difficult for Manafort to engage in a timely review of necessary documents in advance of the trial."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...kup/776269002/

Time for the CIA to prove their worth by wiring the Trump/Putin A-hole summit. How's about a robot cockroach that crawls out of the bathroom sink drain?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Time for the CIA to prove their worth by wiring the Trump/Putin A-hole summit. How's about a robot cockroach that crawls out of the bathroom sink drain?
    Well, if Trump carries his unsecured cell phone into the meeting, pretty much all the security services are likely to be listening.

Poor Paul doesn't look quite so pretty without his $5000 suit and manicure.
    The judge really zinged it to Manafort and his lawyers. Waste my time with a frivilous request and I'll come down on you hard.
    Is he still in solitary or does he have a cellmate named Big Bubba?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I think his cellmate is King Rat

Now he's been moved out of VIP territory.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pol...ia-jail-715378
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Now he's been moved out of VIP territory.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pol...ia-jail-715378

That story is quite interesting:

Ellis said he was confident Manafort's safety could be assured at the Alexandria detention center, noting that its staff is “very familiar with housing high-profile defendants including foreign and domestic terrorists, spies and traitors."

Mueller Asks Manafort Judge to Give Immunity to Five Witnesses

Bloomberg) -- Special Counsel Robert Mueller asked a judge to give immunity to five people who may testify at the bank-fraud trial starting next week against Paul Manafort, President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman.Mueller didn’t identify the witnesses, who haven’t been charged. The five would invoke their constitutional right against self-incrimination and remain silent unless Judge T.S. Ellis III grants them immunity, prosecutors said Tuesday in a court filing in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia. Their names will be made public only if they are called to testify, according to the filing.

“Disclosing the motions would reveal those individuals’ involvement in the investigation and the trial, thereby creating the risk of undue harassment,” prosecutors wrote. “Such concern potentially would be heightened by the additional revelation that they have invoked their privilege against self-incrimination.”

Prosecutors asked Ellis to seal five separate motions about the potential witnesses and unseal any of them if they are called to testify.

Manafort, 69, is accused of bank fraud and tax crimes in the Alexandria case. He would be the first of 32 people charged by Mueller to go to trial. He faces a Sept. 17 trial in Washington on charges of money laundering, obstruction of justice and acting as an unregistered foreign agent of Ukraine.

The cases are U.S. v. Manafort, 17-cr-201, U.S. District Court, District of Columbia (Washington), and 18-cr-83, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia (Alexandria).

(Updates with excerpt of filing third paragraph.)

To contact the reporters on this story: David Voreacos in federal court in Newark, New Jersey, at dvoreacos@bloomberg.net;Andrew Harris in Washington at aharris16@bloomberg.net
    To contact the editors responsible for this story: David Glovin at dglovin@bloomberg.net, David S. Joachim
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Yep, my prediction from October is still looking good: Mueller never intended to get Manafort to flip, he wants him behind bars.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Yep, my prediction from October is still looking good: Mueller never intended to get Manafort to flip, he wants him behind bars.
    I agree.

If I ever disagreed, then I recant.

I think a couple of convictions, early on, will set the stage for the bloodbath yet to come.

I won't be surprised if the entire 'Republican' leadership ends up in the brig.
    Rattling the teacups.

I think you are right, peb. I also think that by getting Manafort convicted, it establishes some facts in a court of law which will then serve as beachheads in the battles to follow.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I agree.

If I ever disagreed, then I recant.

I think a couple of convictions, early on, will set the stage for the bloodbath yet to come.

I won't be surprised if the entire 'Republican' leadership ends up in the brig.
    Regardless of who ever goes to jail and for whatever reason, will all this investigation, cases, lawsuits etc result in a general cleaning up of US politics for future candidates of whatever political persuasion?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

No.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

There's the 64-billion-dollar question...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

A conviction also forces Trump to either grant a pardon or not. After the Putin summit fiasco a pardon will look like more Russian butt kissing, especially in light of the evidence that will come out during the trial.

Mike
    "You may be orange, you may like hamburgers, and you may be a clown, but you sir are no Ronald McDonald" - John Stewart

Trump will not pardon him. Nothing to gain. But the trial will likely show just how dirty Manafort was, and should establish once and for all Trump's horrible judgement. It won't, but it should.