Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bail Revoked, Paul Manafort Jailed

Default Re: Bail Revoked, Paul Manafort Jailed

"I don’t understand the justification for putting him in jail,” Giuliani said. “You put a guy in jail if he’s trying to kill witnesses, not just talking to witnesses.”

“When the whole thing is over, things might get cleaned up with some presidential pardons,”

This from a man who worked as a federal prosecutor for nearly a decade!

Remarkable!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

So much limited involvement

Remember when he got the GOP platform changed at the convention, and also got TRMP to choose Mike Pants for VP?

The Nation - Oct 2017

The truth is that Manafort’s role in the Trump campaign was not “limited.” It was definitional. When Manafort was in charge of making sure that the Republican platform-writing process and convention went smoothly, the party suddenly became dramatically friendlier to Russia—to such an extent that the headline on an analysis piece published in The Washington Post just before the convention read: “Trump campaign guts GOP’s anti-Russia stance on Ukraine.”There will be many attempts to deny and dissemble. But one thing is certain: Manafort definitely put one man in the West Wing of the White House (and the adjoining Eisenhower Executive Office Building): Mike Pence.
    It was Manafort who brought Pence, the scandal-plagued and politically vulnerable governor of Indiana, who had backed Texas Senator Ted Cruz in that state’s Republican primary, into consideration as a vice-presidential prospect for Trump. Referring to Trump, Manafort explained last summer that “I brought him in to meet Pence.” That manipulation, said Manafort, fostered the notion that Pence “had value to Trump as a potential VP nominee.”
    But the Manafort-Pence connection was about more than just introducing Trump to a Republican stalwart the fixer had known for many years. Veteran Republican strategist John Weaver says, “Remember, Manafort selected the VP and was therefore the most important person on the campaign team.”
    Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108

“We will take America without firing a shot…we do not have to invade the United States, we will destroy you from within.” - Nikita Krushchev, Nov. 18, 1956

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Evidently in such circumstances the defendant is held in the Washington D.C. jail.

A rough place.
    While I'm lying in my comfortable bed tonight, I'll be thinking of poor Pauly trying to sleep on his cement slab bed with two inch mattress. Justice is being served.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Bay View Post
    Looks like he lost some property today, or his wife and daughter did...

From WaPo

"The Defendant will execute an agreement to forfeit four (4) separate real properties if there is a bail violation with a total estimated net value (i.e., fair market value less encumbrances) of approximately $11.65 million," Manafort lawyers Kevin M. Downing and Thomas E. Zehnle wrote.

"Counsel for Mr. Manafort and the Office of Special Counsel have conferred, and the parties agree that the conditions of release set forth below will reasonably assure the appearance of Mr. Manafort as required," they wrote.

In the proposal, Manafort agreed that he would not travel abroad and that his wife, Kathleen, would turn over her passport, as he has already done.

His wife agreed to guarantee a $10 million bond, and their daughter Andrea agreed to forfeit her share of one of the properties, a condominium in Manhattan's Chinatown, worth a net $3.7 million.

The other properties listed included the couple's house in the Hamptons of Long Island, worth $4 million, a home in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., worth $1.25 million and his condo in Alexandria, Va., worth $2.7 million, all calculated after mortgages.

One wonders what sort of pressure was on Manafort, who would know what the risks of losing those assets was when he broke the "rules". What sort of pressure and where or who it was coming from? He wont be the only one caught in that particular web, I wonder who is the spider?

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I wonder who is the spider?

John Welsford
    dc5f3f12dde4fc9a0246d6b390e50def.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

One wonders what sort of pressure was on Manafort, who would know what the risks of losing those assets was when he broke the "rules". What sort of pressure and where or who it was coming from? He wont be the only one caught in that particular web, I wonder who is the spider?

John Welsford

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Bay View Post
    So much limited involvement

When Manafort was in charge of making sure that the Republican platform-writing process and convention went smoothly, the party suddenly became dramatically friendlier to Russia—to such an extent that the headline on an analysis piece published in The Washington Post just before the convention read: “Trump campaign guts GOP’s anti-Russia stance on Ukraine.”
    And he took a lot of money from Russians. And now he's in jail.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I figured that, but what is he using as leverage? It cant be just money, or can it?

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    who flips first? manafort or cohen?
    Jeeze, Again, there is no indication Mueller is offering Manafort any deal at all, lots of indications he is not. Just compare how Mueller has dealt with Cohen compared to Manafort. Just think, based on all of the media reports who would have much more (likely by orders of magnitude) to offer Mueller.

Mueller intends to hang Manafort for his crimes, not let him off the hook for little gain. You guys are so busy dreaming of the day a person in Trump's family gets indicted, you can't objectively look at what is going on.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Jeeze, Again, there is no indication Mueller is offering Manafort any deal at all, lots of indications he is not. Just compare how Mueller has dealt with Cohen compared to Manafort. Just think, based on all of the media reports who would have much more (likely by orders of magnitude) to offer Mueller.

Mueller intends to hang Manafort for his crimes, not let him off the hook for little gain. You guys are so busy dreaming of the day a person in Trump's family gets indicted, you can't objectively look at what is going on.
    Peb, Mueller has nothing to do with this, it's the Attorny for the Southern District that's pulling Manafart's strings.

I think peb's right that Cohen would be a much more useful witness than Manfort; he knows far more abut Trump's businesses and where the bodies are buried. OTOH, Manafort would very likely have been involved in any collusion with Russia to influence the election.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I'll say this again I'm beginning to think Mueller doesn't need either and he isn't offering Manafort a thing, he has him, as far as Cohen goes he might well have enough to hang the whole nest of Trump's from the financial records he now has.

The truth is that Manafort’s role in the Trump campaign was not “limited.” It was definitional. When Manafort was in charge of making sure that the Republican platform-writing process and convention went smoothly, the party suddenly became dramatically friendlier to Russia—to such an extent that the headline on an analysis piece published in The Washington Post just before the convention read: “Trump campaign guts GOP’s anti-Russia stance on Ukraine.”
    Trump knows instinctually that he needs to distance himself from Manafort.

War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Truth is not the truth.
    Crimes are not crimes.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine
    I'll say this again I'm beginning to think Mueller doesn't need either and he isn't offering Manafort a thing, he has him, as far as Cohen goes he might well have enough to hang the whole nest of Trump's from the financial records he now has.
    I agree.

Mueller may have all the info he needs from Michael Cohen's documents that have been determined to be unprotected by attorney/client privilege.

And he may have all the info he needs from Rick Gates that Manafort could provide.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Truth is not the truth.
    Crimes are not crimes.

I agree.

Mueller may have all the info he needs from Michael Cohen's documents that have been determined to be unprotected by attorney/client privilege.

And he may have all the info he needs from Rick Gates that Manafort could provide.
    Actuslly, Rick Gates is giving testimony against Manafort.

But it's somewhat good to see people starting to agree with me about Manafort finally.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Actuslly, Rick Gates is giving testimony against Manafort.

But it's somewhat good to see people starting to agree with me about Manafort finally.
    I, for one, haven't been disagreeing or agreeing with you--haven't made up my mind yet. I probably won't, because I don't see any way I'll know enough to find out before this all wraps up. You may well be right. We'll see.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

John Welsford
    Don’t know about any spiders, but Manafort had ties with the Podesta Brothers, who have ties to the same guys Manafort does.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Me neither.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Truth is not the truth.
    Crimes are not crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by mdh
    Don’t know about any spiders, but Manafort had ties with the Podesta Brothers, who have ties to the same guys Manafort does.
    I have no problem with the Mueller investigation uncovering crimes against the U.S.A. regardless of party affiliation.

Do you agree?
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Truth is not the truth.
    Crimes are not crimes.

I have no problem with the Mueller investigation uncovering crimes against the U.S.A. regardless of party affiliation.

Do you agree?
    If Muler is prosecuting Manafort, who is associated with President Trump, for doing the same thing with the same people as the Podesta Brothers, who are associated with hiliary, and are not under indictment: do you consider that acting “regardless of party affiliation”?
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    If Muler is prosecuting Manafort, who is associated with President Trump, for doing the same thing with the same people as the Podesta Brothers, who are associated with hiliary, and are not under indictment: do you consider that acting “regardless of party affiliation”?
    Have you ever followed the trail Trump has left since he was in diapers? Apparently you don't want to know. Also, Your post above is another bunch of manure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Your first statement "have a very limited understanding of the processes by which the decision is made to grant bail or to remand an accused person in custody" is correct. I am not a lawyer, I personally (nor do I know anyone that has) have not been through the bail revoke process in the USA.
    So I have been asking questions to find out more as part of the discussions on this thread.

So you just lost your money.

PS So it would appear you are now upthecreek, without . . . LOL

BTW How much did you bet?
    I believe in literature, this is called an 'unreliable narrator.'

I thought you were opposed to Mueller exceeding his remit? Here's the appointment letter, I can see where it applies to Trump's campaign manager, can you tell me how it applies to Podesta?

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-re...67231/download

And precisely what crimes are you accusing the Podesta brothers of committing, and what proof do you offer? If they have broken the law, they certainly need to be investigated, but there needs to be a reasonable suspicion of a crime, not just the assertion that they know some of the same people as Manafort. Tell us what crimes they have committed, and what proof you have.

And if you have no proof, you are simply libeling them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I thought you were opposed to Mueller exceeding his remit? Here's the appointment letter, I can see where it applies to Trump's campaign manager, can you tell me how it applies to Podesta?

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-re...67231/download

And precisely what crimes are you accusing the Podesta brothers of committing, and what proof do you offer? If they have broken the law, they certainly need to be investigated, but there needs to be a reasonable suspicion of a crime, not just the assertion that they know some of the same people as Manafort. Tell us what crimes they have committed, and what proof you have.

And if you have no proof, you are simply libeling them.
    No, i haven’t changed my opinion, i still believe Muler is overstepping his authority by unshelving a 2005 investigation. I was just trying to evaluate Montgomery’s “regardless of party affiliation” claim.

As far as libel, there are a lot deeper pockets than mine to pilfer. A man of your talent should be able to quench any curiosity you have.

No, i haven’t changed my opinion, i still believe Muler is overstepping his authority by unshelving a 2005 investigation. I was just trying to evaluate Montgomery’s “regardless of party affiliation” claim.

As far as libel, there are a lot deeper pockets than mine to pilfer. A man of your talent should be able to quench any curiosity you have.
    Perhaps you should re-read the appointment letter. It makes it very clear that Mueller is not to ignore crimes he comes across in his investigation.

As for the Podesta brothers, as far as I've been able to find out, they have been charged with no crimes. Either you know something the rest of us don't, or you're making stuff up. Since Mueller is investigating Tony Podesta, our curiosity is likely to be satisfied soon enough.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...odesta-n812776

Manafort's big problem is he tried to hide his russian connections. Thats kind of a big nono when you are involved with the POTUS. It's not the connections that were illegal, it's his lack of being honest about them. Him allegedly doing Putin's dirty work is another problem.
    Last edited by Art Haberland; 06-16-2018 at 12:47 AM. Reason: darn spell check!
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Perhaps you should re-read the appointment letter. It makes it very clear that Mueller is not to ignore crimes he comes across in his investigation.

As for the Podesta brothers, as far as I've been able to find out, they have been charged with no crimes. Either you know something the rest of us don't, or you're making stuff up. Since Mueller is investigating Tony Podesta, our curiosity is likely to be satisfied soon enough.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...odesta-n812776
    As a direct result of his investigation, not some shelved investigation that’s been lying around the US Attorney’s office for over 10 years.
    When Muler breaks in Podesta’s door in the wee hours of the morning, i’ll consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Manager's big problem is he tried to hide his russian connections. Thats kind of a big nono when you are involved with the POTUS. It's not the connections that were illegal, it's his lack of being honest about them. Him allegedly doing Putin's dirty work is another problem.
    Maybe you could enlighten us to the definition of “Putin’s dirty work”.

Maybe you could enlighten us to the definition of “Putin’s dirty work”.
    http://time.com/5003623/paul-manafor...kraine-russia/
    Nosce te ipsum

From your link: Yanukovych’s political rivals quickly found themselves under arrest. Chief among them was the former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, the gold-braided heroine of the Orange Revolution, who was charged with abuse of office and sentenced to seven years in prison in 2011. “It’s normal practice,” Yanukovych told TIME the following summer, in reference to his jailing of the opposition leader. “The party is powerful. The voters support it. Today the President of Ukraine has the highest ratings of any politician.”

Revealing. Political prosecution in this country is reserved for those who work in opposition to Obama and the Clintons. It looks like Muler’s case is so weak that he’s desperately trying to get Manafort to plead guilty, rather than expose his incompetence at trial. When i think of witness tampering, i think of the guy who was found beaten to death, the morning before he was to testify against a drug dealer. We’ll see, as Manafort shows no inclination to buckling to Muler’s pressure, and his best chance is to force Muler to show his hand.

mdh, what are you gonna do if this all goes down and you're wrong? What happens in your world if Trump is, at best, disgraced and forced from office or, at worst, goes to jail? At this rate he will make it to the next presidential election; what happens if he's not elected?
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    mdh, what are you gonna do if this all goes down and you're wrong? What happens in your world if Trump is, at best, disgraced and forced from office or, at worst, goes to jail? At this rate he will make it to the next presidential election; what happens if he's not elected?
    It’ll have little, to no effect, on my life. I was not dependent on Trump winning, i’m just glad he did, for the unselfish reason that the country is better off not having hiliary in any office, much less President. I adhere to the respect for liberty that would prefer ten guilty men go free, rather than one innocent man be railroaded by, and for, political reasons.

It’ll have little, to no effect, on my life. I was not dependent on Trump winning, i’m just glad he did, for the unselfish reason that the country is better off not having hiliary in any office, much less President. I adhere to the respect for liberty that would prefer ten guilty men go free, rather than one innocent man be railroaded by, and for, political reasons.
    So there is no evidence that anyone can show you that will change your mind about Trump, huh? This isn't about Hillary anymore, this is about Trump . . . and as a man who agrees with you that HC was a sh177y choice for president for a lot of real reasons, Trump is much much worse and far more criminal. Lets start with him using his cell phone; its the same as emailing with a personal email address and you don't see it, or do you . . . . and you just don't care?
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

From here Donald's wilful and ongoing destruction of the instruments of the State, the interference in press freedom, and the abrogation of alliances won at a cost of many lives is a much larger crime.

And I do think you should examine why Donald is in pro Russia. I think he reckons that Russia and China are the coming powers and he wants a bit of the action.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 06-16-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    He probably may be in jail for a while.

Would he have personally encrypted the text message or is that done automatically by the text program?

It being a Federal case, would Mr Trump pardon him?
    Remember he 'offered his resignation' and Mr Trump accepted it. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/20/u...ald-trump.html

BTW interesting the number of 'bolded' items in the C&P above. Why not more concrete actions such as 'proved', 'demonstrated' or 'presented evidence' or similar instead of alleged etc?
    Surely you can work out the difference between an allegation and proof? It's about as basic a concept as one can think of.

In investigations it's the norm to use terms like allegation. The "proof" comes when the court gives its ruling. Apart from everything else, it's much less confusing to make it clear what is still an allegation (ie something that has yet to be proven) and something that has in fact been accepted as true.
    Has BigFella and SkyBlue on ignore.