Thread: what products for top and inside refinish for 55 yr old wooden wayfarer ?

Ely / Boundary waters canoe area wilderness

Default what products for top and inside refinish for 55 yr old wooden wayfarer ?

Its time to refinish parts of my wooden wayfarer. The previous owners used an expensive interlux product, My budget is small but I do value my time. Is there a good less expensive option(topside paint ) ?

I do not what product was used on the inside/brightwork , what is the value leader there?

Any advice or comments welcome

Ben
    editor sought , untill found i apologize for the grammer and spelling

Default Re: what products for top and inside refinish for 55 yr old wooden wayfarer ?

So far I'm having pretty good luck with the "Total Boat" stuff from Jamestown Distributors and they ship it for free. Significant for me since it's an hour drive into town where I can buy any decent stuff.

Is it enough to scrape and sand with an orbital sander or should I also use a chemical stripper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: what products for top and inside refinish for 55 yr old wooden wayfarer ?

Paint that looks that weathered, ....... I would remove it and start over (either chemical stripper or heat)

Is there any consensus on which stripper to use ?

Once I discovered a heat gun, I put away the chemical strippers for good. I'm sure chemicals have their value in some cases, but the heat gun/scraper combo is so much cleaner and more pleasant. And fast.

If I am chemical stripping, paint or varnish, I use Star Ten stripper as it is the best I have ever used. Use good ventalation or work outside. Also an air scrubber mask is a good idea.
    http://www.starten.com/
    I also use a heat gun but the smoke can often contain toxic materials like lead! So it is best to have a mask that has an air scrubber system.
    For Paint, George Kirby makes some reasonably priced oil based paints that are very good.
    https://kirbypaint.com/collections/kirbys-marine-paints
    If you choose Star Ten Sripper, follow their instructions to the letter. I usually wait until the finish is completely liquified. This means laying on several coats before attempting to scrape off the paint.
    Wishing you good luck with your project.
    Jay

Thank you everyone. guess i have to pick a total boat color.

what product should i use for the bright interior?

You can use a two pack polyurethane varnish IF, repeat IF, you get ALL the old stuff off, in which case I would use poly over epoxy and you can then forget it for ten years.

Otherwise, use any regular Yacht varnish. You will need six coats, eight is much better.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Got her in my yard today

Looking through my new Jamestown catalogue I’ve found a product called “marine wood finish” it’s a total boat product . Claims to apply easier. Anyone have any opinions on that product?

I return once again to the heat gun, and the impact it had on me and all things varnished ... once I discovered how easy it was to completely remove a finish and start from scratch, the specific product used (varnish or whatever) became much less important. In other words, I became much less "scared" of a finish not lasting as long as I'd like, etc. because I could just start over and try something new. This new attitude went hand-in-hand, of course, with my standards for a varnished surface (not high); I have achieved some really decent looking (but definitely not show quality) finishes using tools/techniques of the infidel in a hurry, e.g. hot coating like crazy, a chip brush if that's all I had, cheap varnish, etc. All that said, I rank le Tonkquinois varnish/oil near the top of my list.

thanks Bark, I did not realize that completely removing the previous finish was still an option for me.

Am I accurate in hinking ill need to cover her with a tarp everynight till the new finish is applied?

Not clear to me from photos exactly what will be varnished and what will be painted. A big advantage to traditional varnish over 2-part epoxy stuff is that it can be removed easily with the heat gun. The only time I ever used 2-part stuff I regretted it, but others may feel differently. I'd only be concerned about covering (short term, anyway) if you had a stripped surface, sanded and ready for new finish that you were trying to protect before applying a sealer coat.

Refinishing everything but the green hull. All the top which is curently white and all the interior as well as mast and boom needs to be replaced. Youve encuraged me Bark , if I can get back to wood id do all the listed above bright !! If i don like the deck that way or if it doesnt last just peel it up and paint it topside right?

Between the Total boat Halcyon and the Lust varnishes whats the practical diffrence? bassed on the liturate/sales piches ive read im planning on choosing the halcyon for the soap and water cleanup. I welcome ANY feedback

Just my 2 cents, but I'd probably paint the deck - maybe a light tan to go with the green hull. My last boat was a Cheoy Lee with acres of varnished teak and I ended up painting over some of the varnish, not so much for ease of maintenance, but because I think too much varnish can be overwhelming to the eye. I've followed that same pattern on my current boat, using traditional paint colors and using varnish as more of an accent. But again, that's just my take. Here's my latest iteration ...
    IMG_2931_zps0ykfmzrs.jpg

Oh, and I don't know anything about water based paints for boats ... I like the sound of it, but I always seem to end up using Kirby's.

I’ve struck some fiberglass on top the gunwale . I can’t see any damage or joint explaining its presence. It’s coming up easy enough but I wonder if I should leave it on the outer radius?