Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Thread

Default Re: World Cup Thread

Australia v Denmark is starting to open up. 1 - 1 into 72 min. Austrialia may surprise the order.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Denmark survived the game. Next up France.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Australian onslaught but no goal. That's so commonly the case - they're just so hesitant in front of goal. Ah well, now they have to beat Peru - a really good side, and Denmark has to lose to France. France are already through so we have to hope they want to practice their goal scoring.

Surprising to see Argentina thrashed by Croatia! I don't think too many teams will be keen to meet Croatia!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Australian onslaught but no goal. That's so commonly the case - they're just so hesitant in front of goal. Ah well, now they have to beat Peru - a really good side, and Denmark has to lose to France. France are already through so we have to hope they want to practice their goal scoring.

Surprising to see Argentina thrashed by Croatia! I don't think too many teams will be keen to meet Croatia!

Rick
    Rookie goalie mistake. Caballero should know better! It is looking to be a European final 4 at this rate.

All 3 of them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    Rookie goalie mistake. Caballero should know better! It is looking to be a European final 4 at this rate.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Interesting now with Germany gone. Australia out, unsurprisingly but disappointing nevertheless. Japan looking good from our little part of the world and I like their approach. I hope they do really well this time. Brazil looking good but I really hope their traditional diving antics don't take them far this time. They certainly have the skill but not the attitude. Spain will win it, I think. Soccer's close to a lottery at this level though so, who knows?

Rick

England v Belgium today. Belgium are a fine team and on current form I would say they had a great chance of winning the tournament, so a really tough game for England.

I watched the England v Panama game. A great result for England at 6 - 1. A hat-trick for Kane and two goals from John Stones (who is a defender) made it a pretty remarkable game. But I have never seen so much groping, holding and wrestling as I witnessed from the Panama players. It seemed like every time a Panama player got close to an England player the arms automatically went around his waist or shoulders, often pulling the player down to the ground. The referee wasn't near tough enough in controlling that behaviour, so I didn't feel any sympathy when Panama were beaten so badly.
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

So, England are through to the quarter-finals, beating Columbia in a penalty shoot-out. They almost beat Columbia 1 - 0 in the ninety minutes, but there was extra time, and Columbia scored on 93 minutes, 1 - 1. So then they played an extra 30 minutes with no goals and it went to penalties.

It always amazes me how many important if not decisive goals are scored in stoppage time, after ninety mins....anyone have the stats out there..? it seems disproportionately, statistically most unusual.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Or as the critics of the penalty shoot out used to say, forget all this ninety or 120 minutes stuff, just take penalties...extrapolated to just play three or four minutes and then have penalties.

England have made it through to the semi-finals having just beaten Sweden 2 - 0.

The people of England will now go collectively daft until next Wednesday, when their team meets either Russia or Croatia in the semi finals, in Moscow. It was a nice game to watch, both teams played well and fairly (at least, I hope the Swedes think so too!) and were quite evenly matched with a rapidly improving England just a bit better.

Given the very poor relationship between Britain and Russia, I hope Croatia beat Russia, so that England do not have to play Russia.

I foresee the return of the three piece suit; the surprisingly successful England manager, Gareth Southgate, who had been the youth manager until a much more famous manager was caught giving advice, for cash, on how to fiddle thevtransfer system, always seems to wear a waistcoat, jacket and tie. He also speaks in actual sentences.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 07-07-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

^ Yes, I've been very impressed by Gareth, and regardless of what happens next I think he will be England's manager for a good long time.

If I was a gambling man I would bet on Belgium to win the trophy, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for England.

I agree. Belgium look very good; better than France, I think.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Croatia 2, Russia 2, Croatia go through on the penalty shootout (4:3).

That's a relief. I didn't fancy the idea of the post match violence that would have been inevitable after an England : Russia game. Now, it's just football....
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

No tengo fútbol. How does Croatia win with the score 2-2?
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    No tengo fútbol. How does Croatia win with the score 2-2?
    Since 1978, the rules of the World Cup have been that if neither side is leading after 90 minutes, there shall be 30 minutes extra time, and if the score is still even, then each side shall take up to 5 penalty kicks at their opponents' goal. The first side to miss a penalty loses.

So after 90 minutes it was Russia 2 Croatia 2, same after the extra 30 minutes, then after each side had scored three penalties Russia lost one.

The postion at the end of the England : Colombia game was 1:1, same after extra time, in the penalty shoot out Colombia missed the fourth and England went through. This was the first time that England had won a penalty shootout. In an appalling and deeply un-English display of professionalism, Southgate (who missed a famous penalty in his own playing career) had the team pshchologically assessed for their ability to perform under pressure and then made the five best able to work under pressure practice taking penalty kicks. I ask you!
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

When a game is drawn, extra time is given to extend the game. If it's still drawn, then the teams take turns to take penalty shots where each player shoots from the penalty spot against only the goalkeeper. I think it's best out of 5 each. Some argue that it's a true test of nerve, planning and psychology, others argue that it's akin to a coin toss. It seems to me that it opinion depends on whether your team wins or loses the shootout.

I think France will win so that probably means they won't.

Rick

Thank you gentlemen.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

I imagine that if England loses the fans will riot. The Rus authorities will not take a soft approach. Gulag city folks!

I hope it is Belgium vs England in the final. Anybody's guess as to who would win but I think Belgium has the edge.

Games decided by penalties gives a conclusion but I sure don't like it.

ACB that's not quite right as each team has to have na equal number of attempts .If the first attempt by the first team misses or is saved thats not the end of the penalty shoot out . If the second team scores at their first attempt then that's it, but if they fail too, it goes on. I think that's right? Correct me if I'm wrong….

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    ACB that's not quite right as each team has to have na equal number of attempts .If the first attempt by the first team misses or is saved thats not the end of the penalty shoot out . If the second team scores at their first attempt then that's it, but if they fail too, it goes on. I think that's right? Correct me if I'm wrong….
    from what I've read and seen concerning penalty kicks.
    each team is given 5 penalty kicks (alternating sides)
    if still tied
    each team is given another 5 penalty kicks (alternating sides) (players used in the first round can not be used in second round)
    if still tied
    each team is given one penalty kick until the tie is broken
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

I don't think they're given another 5. I think if it's still tied after 5, then each team is given another go until it's no longer tied. But yes, the whole team has to have a go before anyone who's already had a go, can have another.

Rick

I hope Belgium wins tonight, simply because they've never won before. But I think it'll be France.

Rick

But Belgium is a mid C19th quasi state of European construct...

So are nearly all European countries, give or take a century one way or another.

Now that Belgium is out I'm really rooting for Croatia.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Root when they're in... they ain't yet

England v Croatia 1-1 73rd min

tied, I just lost a side bet.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

the second match I've watched from start to finish. well done Croatia I didn't want the result but they out played , out classed, out manoervered, out possessed, from start to finish if england hadn't scored with one of the best free kicks of the whole tournament so far it would have been 2-0 if not 5-0 going on shots on target. They might sound like a throat infection but i bet they whip the French next week. Now Im rooting for the Croats, they're in.

Croatia wins and I still haven't seen them play!

Rick

I watched the extra time live, then the highlights later. Croatia were excellent and could have had several more goals. Pickford save a couple of good shots and one hit the post. Sad to see England go out, but they deserve a lot of praise. They are a young team, with a great manager, and I hope they do well in the 2020 Euros.