Thread: Help with ID of this rowing shell

Default Help with ID of this rowing shell

This is a boat I inherited almost 30 years ago. A bit of history, the original owner had his left leg shot off by the Red Baron. He rowed to prove a guy with one leg could do it. Anyway, I have stripped it down and can't find a maker's mark on it anywhere. There is a Stampfli decal on the bottom of the seat, I don't think this determinative. I have noticed that the washboards are "straight" with only a little detail at the stern end. I attached a few picturesDCP01877.jpgDCP01906.jpgDCP01907.jpgDCP01370.jpg

I have noticed that the "ribs" are very small and that there are a few aluminum braces. I notice that the "angles" in the washboards are not mitered, they are "scarph" joints. If we get anywhere with this, I will post pictures of my other "mystery" boat, which I found hanging from the ceiling in a bar room.
    Last edited by Faust; 06-13-2018 at 09:53 PM. Reason: More info

Default Re: Help with ID of this rowing shell

Just a shot in the dark.....Francis W. Hagerty Cohassett, MA There is one on Mystic Seaport website.
    \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

My opinion only. An older Tees (UK) model: http://www.nerowing.com/Spartan%20single.JPG
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Not Pockock

The pictures aren’t very good. I’m presuming by the age it is solid cedar and not plywood. Any idea of the age? I’m thinking no newer than the 50’s. I think those aluminum braces might be fairly unique for it’s age.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Not Pockock

The pictures arenít very good. Iím presuming by the age it is solid cedar and not plywood. Any idea of the age? Iím thinking no newer than the 50ís. I think those aluminum braces might be fairly unique for itís age.
    '

Can only speculate on age. I inherited it in '86 when the original owner died. As noted above, he was rowing just after WW1. But, I have no idea if this was his original boat. I did note the aluminum, thinking that was fairly rare before the 50's. There are numerous repairs. As suggested, it is cedar. As to pictures, I couldn't decide what would be a solid indicator of the builder. I thought it interesting that the angle in the side washboards was not mitered, rather they are "scarf" joined and bent to an angle. Where they meet towards the bow, they are mitered.

No, not Pocock. The hull simply "meets" at the bow and stern without the "inserts" typical of Pocock. I believe my most recent acquisition (also no maker's mark) is a Pocock, I'll post pictures of that. I found that one hanging from the ceiling in a bar room that was being gutted.