Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did the FBI not find the Weiner/Abedin laptop until Weiner started sexting?

Default Why did the FBI not find the Weiner/Abedin laptop until Weiner started sexting?

July 2015: FBI email investigation begins
    July 2016: FBI (Comey) announces investigation closed
    August 2016: Abedin announces separation from Weiner, citing sexting allegations
    September 2016: FBI begins Weiner sexting investigation
    Early October 2016: Weiner/Abedin laptop seized
    28 October 2016: Comey announces investigation re-opened
    30 Oct 2016: Laptop searched (warrant issued)
    8 November 2016: Trump elected President

Why did the FBI not find the Weiner/Abedin laptop until Weiner started sexting?

1. Because Weiner/Abedin didn't acquire it until . . . when? If it was early, how did the FBI investigation miss it? If it was late, how did they fail to oblige her to report it?

2. Because Abedin used it only to back up the e-mails, and they only got onto the laptop . . . when? How? If it was early, how did the FBI investigation miss it? If it was late, was it legal?

3. other

The FBI gets wind of the sexting, gets a search warrant, crashes in and seizes the thing itself. But in the e-mail investigation, looking for national security breaches amounting to crimes, in the State Department, you know, war & peace, terrorism etc., the FBI doesn't even learn it exists, except by accident, 15 months after the investigation began, two months after it closed?

How would you conduct an e-mail investigation? I would tell the target, so glad to hear you're cooperating, as you've told the press. Give us a list of every computer you or your husband ever owned in your life and where they are now, and God help you if you lie to us. If you buy another one, tell us that too.

I just read Comey's book. There is no explanation.

We have Trump for President because of Weiner's dickie pickies.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Default Re: Why did the FBI not find the Weiner/Abedin laptop until Weiner started sexting?

It seems you’re finally catching on. The FBI claims the emails were found during their investigation of Weiner’s sexting an underage girl, done by a field office, and reported through official channels. The Clinton email server investigation, done by a team at headquarters (highly, extremely unusual), participated in more covering up, and destroying evidence, than acquiring and recording evidence. Abedin was one of at least six given immunity.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Default Re: Why did the FBI not find the Weiner/Abedin laptop until Weiner started sexting?

The boy in the bubble speaks!
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    July 2015: FBI email investigation begins
    July 2016: FBI (Comey) announces investigation closed
    August 2016: Abedin announces separation from Weiner, citing sexting allegations
    September 2016: FBI begins Weiner sexting investigation
    Early October 2016: Weiner/Abedin laptop seized
    28 October 2016: Comey announces investigation re-opened
    30 Oct 2016: Laptop searched (warrant issued)
    8 November 2016: Trump elected President

1. Because Weiner/Abedin didn't acquire it until . . . when? If it was early, how did the FBI investigation miss it? If it was late, how did they fail to oblige her to report it?

2. Because Abedin used it only to back up the e-mails, and they only got onto the laptop . . . when? How? If it was early, how did the FBI investigation miss it? If it was late, was it legal?

3. other

The FBI gets wind of the sexting, gets a search warrant, crashes in and seizes the thing itself. But in the e-mail investigation, looking for national security breaches amounting to crimes, in the State Department, you know, war & peace, terrorism etc., the FBI doesn't even learn it exists, except by accident, 15 months after the investigation began, two months after it closed?

How would you conduct an e-mail investigation? I would tell the target, so glad to hear you're cooperating, as you've told the press. Give us a list of every computer you or your husband ever owned in your life and where they are now, and God help you if you lie to us. If you buy another one, tell us that too.

I just read Comey's book. There is no explanation.

We have Trump for President because of Weiner's dickie pickies.

Thats part of the reason. The other part is... Hillary. The Democratic party had better options. I liked bernie. I hated his politics mind you, but admired his honesty. I can get behind honesty. Id bet Bernie may have won, but for Hillary cheating him out of the primaries.

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    It seems you’re finally catching on. The FBI claims the emails were found during their investigation of Weiner’s sexting an underage girl, done by a field office, and reported through official channels. The Clinton email server investigation, done by a team at headquarters (highly, extremely unusual), participated in more covering up, and destroying evidence, than acquiring and recording evidence. Abedin was one of at least six given immunity.
    I don't see anything but the question, the thread title, which arises from the facts stated, by quite simple deduction. The stuff you mention, I have seen no evidence of, which I would have expected to during even the small amount of research I've done.

In any case, what have the various agencies been doing during the Trump administration? How come they can't figure it out? It is as easy an inference that they have no interest in doing so, now that the partisan objectives have been accomplished, as the inference would be, that they continue to do as they please, the change in President notwithstanding. When are we going to hear about some Trump huge accomplishments in this area? Very similar to the original question: why is something so important, potentially, receiving so little attention?

Including from the press. They've had as much time as anyone to come up with this question, and find an answer, or at least some relevant information.

Another strange affair, full of interesting parallels, is that of David Petraeus. He did far worse, with far less to mitigate it. He gave classified material to his girlfriend, while he was Director of the goldang CIA, and lied to the FBI to conceal it. Comey was calling for a felony and prison. Petraeus got off with a misdemeanor. Clinton used a private server because she was ignorant, and made disclosures only to authorized persons. To Republicans, this is not only jail-worthy, but "bigger than Watergate". Nevertheless:

On November 18, 2016, an article by The Guardian cited "diplomatic sources" as having said that Petraeus had entered the race for Secretary of State in Donald Trump's administration. Petraeus confirmed his interest in the position during a BBC Radio 4 interview, stating that he would serve if asked.

Petraeus met with then President-elect Donald Trump at Trump Tower on November 28 to discuss the position and world affairs. Both Petraeus and Trump expressed favorable views of the meeting, with Trump taking to Twitter to announce, "Just met with General Petraeus—was very impressed!" Petraeus joined a short list of potential candidates for the position, including Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani.

-- wikipedia
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

I don't see anything but the question, the thread title, which arises from the facts stated, by quite simple deduction. The stuff you mention, I have seen no evidence of, which I would have expected to during even the small amount of research I've done.

In any case, what have the various agencies been doing during the Trump administration? How come they can't figure it out? It is as easy an inference that they have no interest in doing so, now that the partisan objectives have been accomplished, as the inference would be, that they continue to do as they please, the change in President notwithstanding. When are we going to hear about some Trump huge accomplishments in this area? Very similar to the original question: why is something so important, potentially, receiving so little attention?

Including from the press. They've had as much time as anyone to come up with this question, and find an answer, or at least some relevant information.

Another strange affair, full of interesting parallels, is that of David Petraeus. He did far worse, with far less to mitigate it. He gave classified material to his girlfriend, while he was Director of the goldang CIA, and lied to the FBI to conceal it. Comey was calling for a felony and prison. Petraeus got off with a misdemeanor. Clinton used a private server because she was ignorant, and made disclosures only to authorized persons. To Republicans, this is not only jail-worthy, but "bigger than Watergate". Nevertheless:
    The IG report of the Clinton email investigation is due out tomorrow, though the DoJ has been fighting its release tooth and nail. If you search, you can find reports of immunity given to hiliary’s aides, the FBI’s destruction of evidence (computers), and Comey’s drafting of her exoneration letter, months before she was interviewed: an interview where there was no recording, no notes, and her aides, who were given immunity from their involvement in using the server, were allowed to accompany her as counsel.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Mdh, honestly, what’s it matter. The report is a gem if it rips the Dems.....it’s trash if it says there’s nothing of interest, case closed. Your isolated from facts. Unable to say, we’ll i guess Hill was clean after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    Mdh, honestly, what’s it matter. The report is a gem if it rips the Dems.....it’s trash if it says there’s nothing of interest, case closed. Your isolated from facts. Unable to say, we’ll i guess Hill was clean after all.
    mdh doesn't care whether Hillary is innocent or not.

His motives are political, not moral.

The character assassination of Hillary gave people like him access to the bathtub where they plan to drown our Government.

It is completely immaterial whether HRC ever broke any law, or not. The point is to destroy her.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    mdh doesn't care whether Hillary is innocent or not.

His motives are political, not moral.

The character assassination of Hillary gave people like him access to the bathtub where they plan to drown our Government.

It is completely immaterial whether HRC ever broke any law, or not. The point is to destroy her.
    And she deserves everything mankind can throw her way. I dont give a rats @$$about anythong she ever dod wrong in comparrison to Benghazi. She intentionally took actions that directly ensured deaths of american men.i hope her life is long and miserable

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    She lied. She set up a personal server in order to avoid oversight and accountability for her actions as SoS. She, and Obama, sent and received, classified information on it. Comey, himself, stated there was no doubt that the server was compromised by several foreign agencies. After they had been subpoenaed, she had about half the messages printed out and turned them over. Then she had the server and a half dozen, or so, phones destroyed, some with hammers.

In this country, a fundamental belief that we are a nation of laws, not men, is what allows us to maintain order and civility. Hiliary broke a lot of laws: more than Mike Flynn, more than George Papadopoulos, more than Paul Manafort, more than David Petraeus. Her and her husband sold out our country, and a few others, in order to gain fortune. This is too widely known to go unaccounted for, lest it be repeated, lest it lead to our demise.

Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    And she deserves everything mankind can throw her way. I dont give a rats @$$about anythong she ever dod wrong in comparrison to Benghazi. She intentionally took actions that directly ensured deaths of american men.i hope her life is long and miserable
    Bull****
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    She lied. She set up a personal server in order to avoid oversight and accountability for her actions as SoS. She, and Obama, sent and received, classified information on it. Comey, himself, stated there was no doubt that the server was compromised by several foreign agencies. After they had been subpoenaed, she had about half the messages printed out and turned them over. Then she had the server and a half dozen, or so, phones destroyed, some with hammers.

In this country, a fundamental belief that we are a nation of laws, not men, is what allows us to maintain order and civility. Hiliary broke a lot of laws: more than Mike Flynn, more than George Papadopoulos, more than Paul Manafort, more than David Petraeus. Her and her husband sold out our country, and a few others, in order to gain fortune. This is too widely known to go unaccounted for, lest it be repeated, lest it lead to our demise.
    More bull****
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Most of the above is true. What many fail to understand, or just plainly do not want to believe, is that you have a two-tier justice system. Everyone equal under law?, easy to see that is just not true, and kidding yourselves just adds to the problem.

The e-mails thing might have been different if Comey hadn't gone public. He says he understood the reasons not to. I believe him. But the explanation of the reasons to do it don't satisfy me. There's this huge hole in it.

Comey also wrote that still-classified information could have “cast serious doubt” on Lynch’s ability to investigate Clinton.

He called that info a “development still unknown to the American public to this day” that in part convinced him to take a more active role in the probe.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/13/comey-...in-new-memoir/
    This is true but seriously deficient in facts, even as they are presented in Comey's book.

1. The information in question is from a foreign state.
    2. The FBI received the information -- that's how Comey learned of it -- but there was no time, according to Comey, to test its reliability, before the decision to go public had to be made.
    3. All this didn't merely "convince him to take a more active role" -- according to him, he was already up to his ears in it, maxed out, under a great deal of stress trying to figure out whether to go public or not -- it was a major factor in deciding to go public, according to Comey. But we don't know what this information was, where it came from, whether it was reliable, etc. This is a gap in the story you could drive a ship through.

Could turn out to be nothing. But we don't know. Will the IG report reveal it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Too vague. Outrageous lies is more to the point. R-trmp propaganda. Swill on top of puke, derived from some breitbart or limbaugh spew, via trmp from bannon and the mercers, ad nauseum.

Wait, I think I got some on you. Sorry. MIght wanna go rinse that off...
    “Might wanna put some ice on that.” is the money quote.

https://www.factcheck.org/2016/09/th...intons-emails/

3. other

It seems like you're using hindsight to try to criticize an investigation that took place in forward-progressing time.

The way an investigation works is that the need probable cause and evidence in order to proceed. If they don't have probable cause to proceed, the next best thing is serendipity.

There really is no mechanism for omnipotence. If the investigation doesn't proceed by orderly probable cause, nor catch a lucky break, you can't blame them.

It's entirely possible that there was no evidence of the fact that a copy of emails was on the Abedin/Wiener computer.

Or perhaps there was an entry in a server log indicating the email had been accessed from a specific IP address (or perhaps from a thousand different IP addresses), but if it was a dynamic IP address (as is typical for laptops), there would be no way to track that to a specific computer.

As far as I can see, (and your timeline shows), there's nothing fishy about when and how the FBI became aware of the Abedin/Weiner laptop and no delay in how they investigated it.

In the end, it turns out that it contained no new emails, and did nothing to alter the FBI's decision in the matter.

Good points lj.

Probable cause ought to have been found by simply asking Obedin to list the family computers and how they were used. All of them were potential repositories of evidence. Or better yet, she could have forked them over, i.e. consent. Why wasn't this done?

Had it been done, Comey wouldn't have needed to go public the second time.

Dude, you have absolutely zero evidence of that, much less proof.
    Rattling the teacups.

Also no reason to say Petraeus wasn't as bad or worse, and ought to be punished at least as harshly, or worse.

Good points lj.

Probable cause ought to have been found by simply asking Obedin to list the family computers and how they were used.
    It's possible that Abedin didn't even know the emails were on that computer. The FBI says they got there as a "result of a backup of a personal electronic device."

So maybe she checked her email on her iPhone and then later plugged the iPhone in to download song. Itunes pops up and automatically creates a sync copy.

Also, let's not put the cart before the horse. The FBI investigation was looking at emails, not for individual computers. Ms. Clinton had already turned over every email deemed to be relevant to the investigation.

So it seems natural that the focus of the investigation was the content of the emails, not trying to track down every computer in the world that might have a copy of the emails.

Again: the Weiner laptop did not contain any emails that had not been previously known to the FBI. If the FBI was operating under the assumption that they already had all the relevant emails, they were correct and their investigation proceeded along the lines of determining the significance of the emails, not the existence of the emails.

Had it been done, Comey wouldn't have needed to go public the second time.
    That's sorta true.... but Comey didn't need to go public the second time at all. The reason he did it was because of the extraordinary whining and pressure from the Republicans who were desperate to attack Hillary. If they hadn't attacked her over these emails, they would have (and did) manufacture some other fake controversy and accusation to attack her over.

The Republicans never cared about the emails or the server of the Weiner laptop. All they wanted was a line of attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post

Or bring evidence, not spurious allegations intended only to muddy the already way too murky waters of U.S. politics. Say hey to Vlad. Nice job obviating all the important values demonstrated by our democracy since WWII. Now, while he contemplates his next annexation, Europe or south or east, he can revel in the unwitting idiocy-in-chief and the his evil, profane, misanthropic oligarch gits, having ceded the Cold War. Russia resurgent; the U.S. doddering. ...
    Is that advice to others, or do you follow the same standard? Care to back up that comment on the imminent invasion of Europe?, with facts mind, not false propoganda from the likes of Jens Stolenberg.

Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    It's possible that Abedin didn't even know the emails were on that computer. The FBI says they got there as a "result of a backup of a personal electronic device."

So maybe she checked her email on her iPhone and then later plugged the iPhone in to download song. Itunes pops up and automatically creates a sync copy.
    Why didn't the FBI anticipate these possibilities? They're the professionals.

Also, let's not put the cart before the horse. The FBI investigation was looking at emails, not for individual computers. Ms. Clinton had already turned over every email deemed to be relevant to the investigation.

So it seems natural that the focus of the investigation was the content of the emails, not trying to track down every computer in the world that might have a copy of the emails.
    That seems to me exactly what they needed to track down, as far as possible. Surely that extends to Abedin's "other" computer. They weren't looking for the emails, like they were missing and needed to be retrieved, they were looking for crimes related to possessing them in any form, which you can't do without finding out who possesses them.

That's sorta true.... but Comey didn't need to go public the second time at all. The reason he did it was because of the extraordinary whining and pressure from the Republicans who were desperate to attack Hillary. If they hadn't attacked her over these emails, they would have (and did) manufacture some other fake controversy and accusation to attack her over.

The Republicans never cared about the emails or the server of the Weiner laptop. All they wanted was a line of attack.
    All very likely. Nevertheless, for now, I'm just trying to get Comey's story straight on its own terms. At some point he will testify that Trump asked him for a promise of personal loyalty, and to let Michael Flynn off the hook.

Thats part of the reason. The other part is... Hillary. The Democratic party had better options. I liked bernie. I hated his politics mind you, but admired his honesty. I can get behind honesty. Id bet Bernie may have won, but for Hillary cheating him out of the primaries.
    Bernie fooled you?
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

I immediately assumed the FBI had already seen these emails at Hillary's end. I believe I was correct.

It's also my understanding she followed Powell and others in using a personal server.

I do find it inconsistent to be concerned about her lack of "security' in regards to her emails, and be unconcerned with Trump using an unsecure cell phone.

At least, please, apply the same standards.

Im not ok with the idea if an unsecured phone. Id like to know its usage is heavily monitored.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Bernie fooled you?
    Im not infoolable. So, quite possibly. Bjt i believe he was honest in his campaign about everything he wanted to do and who he was.

She directly ordered the deploying military force to stop and turn back. Many reports of that. Unforgivable.

She directly ordered the deploying military force to stop and turn back. Many reports of that. Unforgivable.
    What's the connection to the e-mails?

What's the connection to the e-mails?
    Id like to see some really, but, it was a response to post#9

Hogwash.

FOX News reported that and it was quickly debunked by everyone else.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ts-about-effo/

There was no 'stand down' order... and the idea that Hillary personally issued the order is totally preposterous.

That seems to me exactly what they needed to track down, as far as possible. Surely that extends to Abedin's "other" computer.
    The FBI new about the emails and they knew about both the sender (Hillary) and the recipient (Abedin). That would seem to be all the relevant information needed for the investigation.

Identifying the computer on which a backup of an electronic device is stored doesn't seem to add any additional information to the investigation.

And to be clear, it didn't add any additional information.

Let's remember that what we're talking about here is backups of emails sent to Abedin.

Hillary also sent some emails to her husband and daughter and to a number of other business and personal associates. I don't see anyone freaking out about chasing down every computer, every device, every backup of every computer and device, every router and every server used by Bill and Chelsea also.

That would be pointless.

Not sure what 'sock puppet' you might be, but man - you are sure ham-handed.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Im not infoolable. So, quite possibly. Bjt i believe he was honest in his campaign about everything he wanted to do and who he was.
    He BRAGGED about NEVER going negative, as he was attacking Hillary: That's your idea of honest?

You've been fooled again. First, NO WAY military could have gotten there in time.

Remember REPUBLICANS CLEARED HER.

The FBI new about the emails and they knew about both the sender (Hillary) and the recipient (Abedin). That would seem to be all the relevant information needed for the investigation.

Identifying the computer on which a backup of an electronic device is stored doesn't seem to add any additional information to the investigation.

And to be clear, it didn't add any additional information.

Let's remember that what we're talking about here is backups of emails sent to Abedin.

Hillary also sent some emails to her husband and daughter and to a number of other business and personal associates. I don't see anyone freaking out about chasing down every computer, every device, every backup of every computer and device, every router and every server used by Bill and Chelsea also.

That would be pointless.
    On the contrary. You chase down as many as you can because, again, the point isn't finding the e-mails, the point is finding who has them, and how they got them.

What effed up in this case is that additional copies were found late in the game. It is ironic that it turned out it was no big deal, apart from the fact that it played a large role in making Donald Trump president.