Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How has White Privildge affecred your life

Default Re: How has White Privildge affecred your life

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Unlike many blacks and latinos with whom I work, I have never been stopped by the police for driving a nice car in the "wrong" neighborhood.
    Ok, that there, thats the sh!t im looking for. I have heard of this before.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I think you may be giving sleek short shrift.

We have several people on this board who can't spell. Ian McColgin and Ted Hoppe come to mind.
    I've never seen either of them try to blame public schools for their spelling.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I was in the eighth grade when I first went to a school that had one black girl going there. I remember hearing how she was lucky because she was the only student there that didn't have to go to school with a n****r. In the 12th grade, I had my only black teacher in a typing class. My high school senior class was still over 90% white in a town that was 70% black.

It's always been very strong in Aus. I am the unconscious recipient due to my appearance if nothing else. I can recall in school the class being informed that, despite two class members being of Aboriginal descent, that they were a 'disappearing race' to be bred out as soon as possible.
    I don't recall being outraged in grade 6. I did not know at the time I had one as an ancestor myself, but I doubt eve if I had I'd have had much reaction. My high school had the first aboriginal teacher to become a principal so I found out later.

sleek, it came from your response in post #27 wherein you respond to WI-Tom's comment in post #26 regarding institutional racism in St. Kitt's, which is an island in the Windwards. But your public education probably gave you a good knowledge of world geography, so you probably knew that already, right?
    Last edited by mmd; 06-13-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    First off, no one besides you used the words "irrefutable proof" here.

Secondly:

Talk to people of color. I think you'll find they have compelling evidence, based on personal experience, that institutional racism--systematic discrimination based on skin color and ethnicity--exists. That it is, in fact, overwhelmingly present in their lives.

Talk to white people like me. Institutional racism doesn't happen to me.

Now, I can conclude that people of color are lying because I have never seen "irrefutable proof" of its existence.

Or I can listen and learn from them, and conclude that its only my whiteness that makes it hard for me to see.

Which is more likely? That millions of people of color are lying about their experiences? Or that, because of my privileged position, I don't readily see racism in action?

Tom
    Then i will do just that. I hope i keep my teeth and dont get shot. Sime folms have pretty steep feelings about it, and being white myself, im at a disadvantage, ironic no?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Eh? There are a lot of people in the world, and all of our lives are different. But because something hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it never happens to anyone. You already have several very clear examples where people would have been considerably worse off had we and our immediate ancestors not been white.

Now I have trouble with the term 'white privilege'; it often means just getting treated fairly and reasonably, which should happen to everybody. I don't consider that a 'privilege'; it's closer to a universal human right. But if other people are getting treated unjustly because of their ancestry, then that's wrong. And again, the effects of history last a LOT longer than you imagine.
    Yeah, white privilege is so great, everybody should have it, regardless of race, creed, or color. Why shouldn't everybody be treated fairly?

Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    It is sadly true. When it comes to typing, I am all thumbs. I reckoned in the interest if equality, my point is what matters, not how pretty it looks.
    Spell check software does all of the work for you. It puts red ziugzaggy lines under misspelled words so that you can correct them before you hit post.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I've never seen either of them try to blame public schools for their spelling.

Tom
    Its a joke of mine, speelin jas never been my strong point. It jas no logic flow to it. Its arbitrary. My memory not being good, doesnt facilitate random items like spelling, and the wird sugeation bar, makes it worse because now i barely need to try to remember to spell a word, its just rigjt tjere. But it takes too long to adjust every typo i male on a small screen, sometimes i do, but if in a hurry, it comes out looking lime this unedeted.

Wearing a corduroy jacket downtown, I used to be singled out by panhandlers. They usually hit on me for bus fare to Ann Arbor.

Did you open the link in post #2?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Spell check software does all of the work for you. It puts red ziugzaggy lines under misspelled words so that you can correct them before you hit post.
    I use a cell phone to type. No room for a computer in my truck. ( i live in my truck ) so, no spell check.

Did you open the link in post #2?
    I did, and it has an anchor phrase ( my term that means it self validates everything it says with one phrase ) that the entire argument is tied to. Simply put it specified culture as something that could be a victim. My mind went to a previous topic and the culture that came to mind was thug culture. I can be hateful all i want to thug culture and not be racist, unless that link is true, then im a racist because the thug culture to me, creates animals of men.

Quote Originally Posted by sleek
    The African American man with whom I share my office told me he was stopped so many times by the Jeffersonville, Indiana police that he finally went to the police station and told the police chief that the next time it happened he would sue the sh!te out of the city. He said he received an apology and has not been hassled since. He and his family live in Jeffersonville.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

I use a cell phone to type. No room for a computer in my truck. ( i live in my truck ) so, no spell check.
    I have one of these when travelling. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/surf...-pro/overview#

I did, and it has an anchor phrase ( my term that means it self validates everything it says with one phrase ) that the entire argument is tied to. Simply put it specified culture as something that could be a victim. My mind went to a previous topic and the culture that came to mind was thug culture. I can be hateful all i want to thug culture and not be racist, unless that link is true, then im a racist because the thug culture to me, creates animals of men.
    Take the time to read it. Start with the section on the UK as I am answering your question by referencing it. Then read on if you want.

Its a joke of mine, speelin jas never been my strong point. It jas no logic flow to it. Its arbitrary. My memory not being good, doesnt facilitate random items like spelling, and the wird sugeation bar, makes it worse because now i barely need to try to remember to spell a word, its just rigjt tjere. But it takes too long to adjust every typo i male on a small screen, sometimes i do, but if in a hurry, it comes out looking lime this unedeted.
    Fair enough. As a teacher, I just find it hard to let public schools be blamed for everything.

Universal agreement about how to spell words is a fairly recent innovation, anyway. People can certainly be plenty smart and spell poorly.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Dew knot trussed spell Czech too ketch awl yore miss steaks.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Intrepid View Post
    Even being white, you’re still lucky you weren’t drawn on.
    Specially using the f...word, even though not directed at the policeman/patrolman

white privilege?
    I have one of these when travelling. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/surf...-pro/overview#
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    white privilege?
    No: white worktop.

What people describe as white privilege seems the way everyone should be treated. To call it a privilege implies that the alternative should be the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    What people describe as white privilege seems the way everyone should be treated. To call it a privilege implies that the alternative should be the norm.
    See post 43. If only one group is treated fairly, that's privilege. The whole point of the civil rights movement was that everyone should be treated fairly. It doesn't seem like that should be a big lift, but apparently, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    What people describe as white privilege seems the way everyone should be treated.
    Yes. When people aren't, it's an injustice. That's my problem with the phrase, although not so much with the idea behind it.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

My fraternal great grandfather and his sons drove a wagon and some stock from Pennsylvania to Indiana, while the women rode a RR train. My grandfather appears to have been multi-talented, at one time or another operating a butcher shop, a cobbler shop, a gasoline station, threshing and saw mills powered by his own steam traction engine, and crop farming. My father was the first to get a degree (journalism). His mother was like a "Laura Engles", teaching a one-room school in a community far from home as a teen. My brothers and I grew up knowing how to pick up tools and make stuff. I believe I'm a lot like my grandfather, able to do a lot of things (never really been unemployed) but not making a lot of money doing it. One of my dad's cousins once said grandfather "was funny", and I know he could write (judging by his letters to dad, better than most with his background).

I have of course benefitted from all aspects of white priviledge but one not mentioned here so far is the effect of everyone's social, gender, and racial biases on romance.

Excluding various sorts of superstars, there is reality to the stereotype that if a white man dates a black woman, she's beautiful. If a black man dates a white woman, not so much.

This may be changing - I am almost 70 and my own experience may be a bit dated - but among between me and my friends, both men and women, who have had interracial romances, that stereotype ran strongly. It has it's costs, again stereotypical. Black women dating white men take some grief from other blacks, different grief from black men than black women. White women dating black men take one sort of grief from black women not wanting a man taken away and from white men scorning them. And so on.

Except white men dating beautiful black women at least get a little envy from other white men . . . Not just white privilege but man privilege.

Some days we are given far more than makes any sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    See post 43. If only one group is treated fairly, that's privilege. The whole point of the civil rights movement was that everyone should be treated fairly. It doesn't seem like that should be a big lift, but apparently, it is.
    A privilege can be extended or contracted, earned, bought, sold, forfeited, conditioned or arbitrarily withdrawn. Has nothing to do with fairness, by definition.

It's a corruption of language. What justifies it?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

There are three Australian Aborigines on this forum. We learnt fast what white privilege is and remains.

Not to discredit those 3 in the least, or id discredit myself, but.... why does the personal story of 3 in Australia make a valid argument FOR white privilege, but my personal story doesnt count AGAINST it? Is it because Im white?

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    There are three Australian Aborigines on this forum. We learnt fast what white privilege is and remains.
    bigly
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Because white privilege exists.
    Not to discredit those 3 in the least, or id discredit myself, but.... why does the personal story of 3 in Australia make a valid argument FOR white privilege, but my personal story doesnt count AGAINST it? Is it because Im white?

Sleek is not looking to be convinced. He's simply looking to sow doubt and hone his artificial intellectualism for his real targets; his co-workers and friends.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

It certainly does no matter how many wish to deny it.

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Sleek is not looking to be convinced. He's simply looking to sow doubt and hone his artificial intellectualism for his real targets; his co-workers and friends.

Oh certainly not. I have no friends and am often unemployed.

So, BECAUSE it exist, and BECAUSE im white, my arguments against it are invalid?