Page 1 of 9 12 ... LastLast

Thread: How has White Privildge affecred your life

Default How has White Privildge affecred your life

Positive or negative, and list as much supporting facts, not just, i got a good deal on a car.

Default Re: How has White Privildge affecred your life

Never experienced Institutional Racism.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

How shall I count the ways . . .
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Good cast, old bait...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    How shall I count the ways . . .
    Starth with Keats

I have no fear when exploring our world. Being a blonde male makes me believe I have a further leg up except when in Hawaii.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I have no fear when exploring our world. Being a blonde male makes me havea further leg up except when in Hawaii.
    Hey, haole, you like beef with me, ah?

Peace,
    Robert

How has White Privildge affecred your life
    In all ways my entire life has been blessed by good fortune, starting about by being born white to two highly educated and motivated parents.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

It's a chain of privilege:

My father had a decent upbringing and went to college to become an engineer because his father was able to work as a machinist, even through the Great Depression, for companies which would never have hired a black man for the same kind of work. I had a decent middle class upbringing and was able to attend college because my father was able to get a good job working for a major defense contractor as an engineer in the 1950's when that company and no other similar company would hire a black man for the same kind of work. My kids will be able to go to college and, hopefully, live decent middle class lives because I was able to go to college and gain the right experiences to enable me to get a decent job and to buy a house in a town with an excellent educational system and give them all sorts of experiences and advantages they would not have had otherwise. If my grandfather had not been able to work as he did, he couldn't have sent my father to college and given him other advantages which enabled me to do the same for my kids. If instead my grandfather had been black, he would have had some menial job, would likely have been unemployed during the depression and the chain of events that led directly to my kids graduating from High School and going on to college would not have happened.

I can walk into any store and not be tailed or watched closely by employees or security.
    I can stand in a Starbucks for a few minutes waiting for someone and not make a purchase and the manager won't call the cops on me.
    I have accidentally walked out of a store with an item I forgot to pay for and when approached by the security guard, my explanation of my forgetfulness was accepted and I wasn't held for shoplifting.
    To my knowledge, no one has ever suspected me of being and illegal immigrant based on my appearance and I have never been treated as such.
    My right to be present anywhere has never been questioned by any authority except for that one time I trespassed at the high school after hours and the cops caught me. But that questioning was legit given the circumstances
    Voting is like driving a car: Choose "R" to move backwards. Choose "D" to move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    Positive or negative, and list as much supporting facts, not just, i got a good deal on a car.

"How has White Privildge affecred your life"

On what basis and/or comparison ?

I don't have personal experience of being any other color than the color I was born.

EG If I thought I got a good deal on a car say x% less than 'list price', or X options included, how do I know that anybody of the same color as I or any other color got a better or worse deal that could be directly be attributed to 'White Privilege' ?

To my knowledge, I have not received preferential treatment because I am the color I am as compared to a person of another color.

I have however received detrimental treatment because of a perceived political party I may be deemed to support here.
    Outline details, I applied to lease some Govt land to initiate a non-profit boat club (with a bar) for all. Was told location was allocated for other use. Found out that it had been offered (after my application) to another person (different color to me) - for him to run a bar there - that was apparently a staunch supporter of the political party in power. BTW He turned it down.
    Does that help?
    Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 06-13-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

I don't think I am particularly privildged.

Positive or negative, and list as much supporting facts
    i recently rented a car from enterprise
    after coasting through a traffic light i got pulled over
    the cop said the tag was expired, i said, "No ****ing way! This is a rental, I gotta see the tag." and without waiting I jumped out of the car and walked around back, no **** it was expired. . .

The cop looked at me and laughed and said, "I see the Enterprise sticker, its not your fault, you can go."

He didn't even ask me for my driver's license.

if I hadn't been white I might've got shot, or tazed, or pepper sprayed
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i recently rented a car from enterprise
    after coasting through a traffic light i got pulled over
    the cop said the tag was expired, i said, "No ****ing way! This is a rental, I gotta see the tag." and without waiting I jumped out of the car and walked around back, no **** it was expired. . .

The cop looked at me and laughed and said, "I see the Enterprise sticker, its not your fault, you can go."

He didn't even ask me for my driver's license.

if I hadn't been white I might've got shot, or tazed, or pepper sprayed
    Even being white, you’re still lucky you weren’t drawn on.
    I'll just take my chances with those salt water joys.

AR

Hard to tell if it was being born white, male, Canadian, middle class, or to an intact family that valued it's members and education.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I'm blessed with the ability not to incorrectly spell multiple words in a forum subject line.

Quote Originally Posted by cbcc View Post
    I'm blessed with the ability not to incorrectly spell multiple words in a forum subject line.
    My publik edumicatipn is showing..

So is mine.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

As is mine.

I'll repeat my story form the earlier thread. My father was from a very proletarian family in the depressed coal-mining areas of Pennsylvania around Scranton. He was in the Navy during WWII, and went to college after the war on the GI bill, which he never would have been able to afford otherwise. That's where he met my mother. He went on to get a PhD, and ended up a professor at Duke. They bought a house in 1960 in Levittown NJ, the archetype of the postwar suburb. Levittowns originally would sell only to white folks, although that had stopped, at least officially, by 1960. My father made a huge social class transition, from hardscrabble working class to upper-middle intelligentsia - some of it because he was a very bright guy, but also because of the opportunities in the GI bill. He never would have been able to do it otherwise. That's one major reason my life is as comfortable as it is today. It would have been vastly less likely if we were African-American, neither college on the GI bill (they wouldn't have let him in in 1946), nor the house in Levittown (they probably wouldn't have sold it to him, despite the law at the time; there were zero black kids in my elementary school) nor the subsequent career dependant on education.

Now, this was all a long time ago, before the civil rights movement and the legislation of the 1960s. Things are better now, without a doubt. But it nonetheless had a large effect on my life, and my children's life. History has a much, much longer shadow than you imagine.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 06-13-2018 at 02:50 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post

I have been wanting to use that line for sooo long now. So glad somebody finally did.

I live in a house for which the original deed had a covenant that only white people could live there. Such covenants were not outlawed the US Superior Court until the mid-1960s
    Elect a clown expect a circus

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

I grew up in the Mississippi Delta which was and still is 70% black. I attended the white school system. According to the law at the time, the schools were supposed to be separate but equal. They were never equal. When I went to college, there weren't any riots as had happened when James Meredith entered Ole Miss a few years earlier and the National Guard wasn't called out. I was never shot by a white supremacist as Meredith was.

My publik edumicatipn is showing..
    No it's not. Your failure to learn anything from it is on display, though.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't saddle a duck.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    To my knowledge, I have not received preferential treatment because I am the color I am as compared to a person of another color.
    Ignorance of institutional racism is a pretty good sign that you have benefited massively from white privilege.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

So, this is a situation where, absence of evidence is evidence of... wait no, its one of, who are you gonna believe, me or your own two lyin.. wait, thats not right either, its, because you cant see it, thats is irrefutable proof that its there?

Ever been to the Windward Islands, sleek?

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    No it's not. Your failure to learn anything from it is on display, though.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't saddle a duck.

Tom
    I think you may be giving sleek short shrift.

We have several people on this board who can't spell. Ian McColgin and Ted Hoppe come to mind.

As far as sleek goes, he has asserted that he's a sufferer from 'small screen/big thumbs' syndrome.

It is also true that one conveys a certain respect for one's interlocutors by using diligent grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Still, IMO sleek is trying to wrap his head around a lot of things he really has not tried before, so I think he may need a little extra slack.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Ever been to the Windward Islands, sleek?
    Ummmm not being certain of where this question stems from, but curious as to the result im gonna take the bait and say, no. Wazzat?

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I think you may be giving sleek short shrift.

We have several people on this board who can't spell. Ian McColgin and Ted Hoppe come to mind.

As far as sleek goes, he has asserted that he's a sufferer from 'small screen/big thumbs' syndrome.

It is also true that one conveys a certain respect for one's interlocutors by using diligent grammar, spelling and punctuation.

Still, IMO sleek is trying to wrap his head around a lot of things he really has not tried before, so I think he may need a little extra slack.
    It is sadly true. When it comes to typing, I am all thumbs. I reckoned in the interest if equality, my point is what matters, not how pretty it looks.

Unlike many blacks and latinos with whom I work, I have never been stopped by the police for driving a nice car in the "wrong" neighborhood.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

"OK. Fine. So he exaggerated a little on that."

So, this is a situation where, absence of evidence is evidence of... wait no, its one of, who are you gonna believe, me or your own two lyin.. wait, that's not right either, its, because you can't see it, thats is irrefutable proof that its there?
    Eh? There are a lot of people in the world, and all of our lives are different. But because something hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it never happens to anyone. You already have several very clear examples where people would have been considerably worse off had we and our immediate ancestors not been white.

Now I have trouble with the term 'white privilege'; it often means just getting treated fairly and reasonably, which in a just world would happen to everybody. I don't consider that a 'privilege'; it's closer to a universal human right. But if other people are getting treated unjustly because of their ancestry, then that's wrong. And again, the effects of history last a LOT longer than you imagine.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 06-13-2018 at 03:07 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I live in a house for which the original deed had a covenant that only white people could live there. Such covenants were not outlawed the US Superior Court until the mid-1960s
    Actually, it was 1948.

So, this is a situation where, absence of evidence is evidence of... wait no, its one of, who are you gonna believe, me or your own two lyin.. wait, thats not right either, its, because you cant see it, thats is irrefutable proof that its there?
    First off, no one besides you used the words "irrefutable proof" here.

Secondly:

Talk to people of color. I think you'll find they have compelling evidence, based on personal experience, that institutional racism--systematic discrimination based on skin color and ethnicity--exists. That it is, in fact, overwhelmingly present in their lives.

Talk to white people like me. Institutional racism doesn't happen to me.

Now, I can conclude that people of color are lying because I have never seen "irrefutable proof" of its existence.

Or I can listen and learn from them, and conclude that its only my whiteness that makes it hard for me to see.

Which is more likely? That millions of people of color are lying about their experiences? Or that, because of my privileged position, I don't readily see racism in action?

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

No.

We are all wayward wanderers trying to make sense of the world.

White privilege is mostly invisible, because that's how it works.

If it were blatantly obvious, it wouldn't work.

As I have said before, racism is the mechanism by which white privilege gains its power.

Racism is a lie perpetrated upon the lower-economic-strata whites so that white privilege can continue to benefit the . . . well, Privileged.

Lower-economic-class whites continue to behave as racists, while the profits from their crimes continue to benefit the upper class.

This is supposed to be a country based on democratic values.

That's 'democratic', with the lower-case 'd'.

Democracy | Definition of Democracy by Merriam-Webster

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/democracy

Definition of democracy. plural democracies. 1 a : government by the people; especially : rule of the majority. b : a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections.
    Rattling the teacups.