Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disposable carburetors

Default Re: Disposable carburetors

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    The 4-stroke is quieter and just a little heavier. It is quiet enough to have civilized cockpit conversation. I don't miss mixing fuel. I used a borrowed Tohatsu 3.5 4 stroke on my 8000 lbs fin keel boat - at 3/4 throttle we made nearly 5kts on flat water, 6 nautical miles on 1 gallon of gas.
    Are you sure it was a gallon and not a litre for the 6 nautical miles?

I've had good luck by:

Adding red Stabil to the fuel and then running it dry. Evidently the Stabil does not fully evaporate, which is kinda good I have found, it armors things a bit against corrosion over the winter. If the carb float bowl has a drain plug (common on Hondas, I really like this feature), I remove the plug and flush it periodically, it really helps to prevent water and sludge buildup. Also, I periodically leave the empty portable fuel tank open to evaporate any sludge, most especially over the winter. This is why I recommended on other's boats to convert from 6 gal fuel tanks to (2) 3 gal tanks; they are easier to load on the boat when full, and the fuel stays fresher, being able to dry one tank while the other is in use, and less air volume. At the local boat show, a Honda dealer that deals in a lot of large outboards (which all come with a 3 gal Honda tank, never used) would sell $70 list tanks for $15-20, I had all my friends' boats converted to the 3 gallon tanks with common (Honda) quick disconnect fittings.

Before doing the above, lots of problems. After the above, no problems.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Why has no one recommended just running hi-test non-ethanol fuel all the time? Here in NY we can get that at almost every gas station. Sure, it's an extra $1.00 or so a gallon but avoids all sorts of troublesome issues with small carbureted engines.

Quote Originally Posted by DMillet View Post
    Why has no one recommended just running hi-test non-ethanol fuel all the time? Here in NY we can get that at almost every gas station. Sure, it's an extra $1.00 or so a gallon but avoids all sorts of troublesome issues with small carbureted engines.

Try buying it downstate. Its not really available.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Just to clear something up. The 5 & 6 hp motors labeled “Tohatsu” are indeed built by Tohatsu. In fact, those same motors are also labled “Nissan” “Mariner” “Mercury” “Evinrude” and even “Honda”. Tohatsu actually dominates the world in the manufacture of small outboards. They do not build motors over (I believe) 40 hp, those motors sold by Tohatsu are “badge engineered” products of other companies. Such is the way that many products are marketed across all kinds of industries now.

I have a Tohatsu 4 stroke 6 on my “camping boat” a 15’ Grumman Sportboat. It’s a fine little motor, and I am astounded by its economy. We recently fitted a tach/hr meter, and after 8.5 hrs run time, we still had just under 3 gallons left in our 6 gallon tank!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by DMillet View Post
    There used to be a gas station not far from my home that had, in addition to ordinary gas, a pump for kerosene, and a pump for 'racing fuel' (100 octane, no ethanol).... but it stopped selling both kerosene and racing fuel a few years ago.

Frankly, this Tohatsu 5HP 4-stroke is so efficient, and I use so little fuel during the season, that I might as well buy TruFuel... I believe it's about $10/gallon, but I doubt I use more than 3-4 gallons during the entire season. The dinghy is used mostly just to go ashore from a mooring or from being at anchor.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    There used to be a gas station not far from my home that had, in addition to ordinary gas, a pump for kerosene, and a pump for 'racing fuel' (100 octane, no ethanol).... but it stopped selling both kerosene and racing fuel a few years ago.

Frankly, this Tohatsu 5HP 4-stroke is so efficient, and I use so little fuel during the season, that I might as well buy TruFuel... I believe it's about $10/gallon, but I doubt I use more than 3-4 gallons during the entire season. The dinghy is used mostly just to go ashore from a mooring or from being at anchor.
    I believe it's about $10/quart.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I believe it's about $10/quart.
    Tractor Supply has it for $22/gallon. Not as cheap as I thought... but not as expensive as you thought

CORRECTION: it's not a gallon, it's 110 ounces (A gallon would be 128 ounces).
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Tractor Supply has it for $22/gallon. Not as cheap as I thought... but not as expensive as you thought

CORRECTION: it's not a gallon, it's 110 ounces (A gallon would be 128 ounces).
    Yikes. I wonder if propane retrofit carbs are available? The fuel would be cheaper, and the carb would definitely stay clean. For as little as you use it, you could probably run it off 1 lb bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Yikes. I wonder if propane retrofit carbs are available? The fuel would be cheaper, and the carb would definitely stay clean. For as little as you use it, you could probably run it off 1 lb bottles.
    Before I bought this engine, I contemplated buying one of the Lehr propane outboards.... But the run time on a 16 oz can is less than 20 minutes, and the engine was a lot more expensive. Adding a 10 lb tank (composite or aluminum) would be way more expensive.

The main problem with gasoline with alcohol is that the alcohol absorbs water from the air. If you keep the tank vent closed when not in use, and don't keep fuel longer than about three months, you should be good. Also, having the fuel vented when stored not only lets in moisture, but lets the more volatile components of the gasoline evaporate, which makes for harder starting. If you don't use that much fuel in that time period, get a long-neck funnel and dump it into the car tank to be used and buy fresh fuel for the boat the day you drive out to use it.

It's almost easier, and better for the rest of the motor to run it frequently during it's off season. We have engine stands for this purpose. Takes all of about 20 minutes. I would not care if it was cold outside or snow on the ground. Any reason to get outdoors, or to the edge of the garage, wherever.
    I'd go as far as a stand with a foot tank on it so I could run it under a load even.

Start a business like a dog walking service for small engines and run everyone's for a yearly maintenance fee. They do it for horses and everything else. I bet a lot of people who go thru what you just did, each year, would gladly take this burden off of their mind.

There’s an off season in Florida?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.