Thread: Custom motorcycle: innovation = 10; practicality = ummmm....

Default Custom motorcycle: innovation = 10; practicality = ummmm....

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: Custom motorcycle: innovation = 10; practicality = ummmm....

I kind of like it, actually, but like the other bikes in the picture, it goes in the class of 'ornamental metal sculpture', not engineering. It probably works well enough to ride down a straight flat road and around gentle curves. In fact, if they got the geometry right and the linkage doesn't have too much friction, it might work better than the one behind it with fork tubes 30 degrees from horizontal.

OTOH, maybe not. There's something about a little narrow swingarm pivot four feet from the wheel that doesn't inspire confidence.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 06-13-2018 at 07:47 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

As pictured,those tyres haven't seen the road.They probably never will.As the saying goes "Just because you can doesn't mean you should".

HCS?

DiFazio?
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

When I noticed the rear tire was the same diameter and width, I liked it a little bit.

Just not sure about the possibility of hitting the front tire with my helmet in a crash.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

That long front swing Arm? And what, 4 inches of ground clearance? Wouldn't take much to bottom that thing out on the pavement. Hope it has a heavy sacrificial skid plate.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

That steering linkage does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Much less the torsional stresses involved.

The brakes are "interesting". There's no front brake lever, but it appears to have a drum brake. It doesn't appear to have a rear brake, unless the rear sprocket / pulley does double duty as a disk. Maybe the front brake is operated by foot?

That exhaust pipe is "interesting" too.

I gather that's a friction damper on the front suspension, below the oxcart spring?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

The brakes could easily be a pedal operating front and back, like the Guzzi system, and the rear disc/sprocket combination has been around for ages. Its possible it has no front brake as that traditional looking front drum houses the centre hub steering like the DiFazio forks popular on sidecar combos in the seventies. Plenty of custom bikes have no front brake. Depends on the construction and use regs where it was built. A great advert for the builder's engineering skills but it can't seriously be usable...A lot of show bikes don't even have engine internals. And actually its not really innovative so much as a mess of ancient motor and cycle parts. Can't see the point really when its using carb and magneto on a seventy year old engine. and chassis technology that isn't, really. From the steeering head back its a boring old hardtail chop seen since the eighties, not even far off Captain America from '68 (?)
    Work of art maybe, but I don't think it works on that level either.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    The brakes are "interesting". There's no front brake lever, but it appears to have a drum brake. It doesn't appear to have a rear brake, unless the rear sprocket / pulley does double duty as a disk. Maybe the front brake is operated by foot?

That exhaust pipe is "interesting" too.

I gather that's a friction damper on the front suspension, below the oxcart spring?
    I'm pretty sure that big drum hub on the front wheel is the housing for the "king pin" that the front wheel pivots on.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.