Thread: Catspaw Dinghy -- in need of a home

Default Catspaw Dinghy -- in need of a home

This is my first post on the forum. Please excuse any breach in decorum, I am just in need of some networking here amongst like-minded enthusiasts.

I have an elderly relative in the San Francisco Bay area who began building a wooden boat in his garage. Due to health reasons, the boat is unfinished.Catspaw_3.jpgCatspaw_1.jpgCatspaw_2.jpg

I have the original book/plans for the Catspaw Dinghy. There are also full size enginering drawings, the boat itself, wood for completion and even a home made steam bending apparatus for contouring the boards. I know so little about these things, but was hoping for some recommendations on people or places who may be interested in taking over such a project. (a boat building school perhaps?) I also have hundreds of pictures documenting the build thus far.

Please let me know if you can help me find a suitable home for this project, or connect me with others in your network who may be able to assist.

Thanks in advance, and God Bless.

Default Re: Catspaw Dinghy -- in need of a home

Welcome. That's a tough call, to find a good home for a partially finished boat. You might try the classified section of WoodenBoat magazine. I wish you luck.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I don't know about California, but you might contact the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding in Washington State to see if they are interested. They're at least on the same coast!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

You might contact the Hyde Street Pier - San Francisco Maritime Historical Park in San Francisco. This National Park Service facility has small boat building programs, I believe. Your donation would likely be tax-deductible, as well.

Waterside Workshops in Berkeley May also be interested, but try the SF Maritime Museum first.

http://watersideworkshops.org/
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Is the Arques School in Sausalito still going? Might be worth looking in to.

Great suggestions! I have reached out to both the Maritime museum and the Arques school in Sausalito. I have a few other feelers too. Greatly appreciate the help!!!!

Good luck. Yours is a generous offer very much in the spirit of the wooden boat community!
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Looks nicely done. Someone is going to get a nice boat.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT