Thread: 19' Banks Dory Started

Default 19' Banks Dory Started

Amateur project; first attempt. Outdoor build in central N.C. Basement workshop/Shopsmith in use for basic joinery. Batten-seam construction with common pine frames, plywood gussets, glued half-lap joints at chines. Eight main frames nearly finished. Minor details remain before taking frames outside to strongback jig. Stem & transom frame not yet sawn. All framing to be protected with borate & epoxy. Hull to be plywood. Jeff Spira design: row & sail. Engine well optional; decided not to include it. Modified Jeff's framing plan to save weight; alas, ended up adding weight in new ways. Much effort for little apparent gain; but, strong frames have resulted. Pictures show frames, strongback, construction platform & hoisting beam underneath residential deck.

DSCN0699.jpgDSCN6535.jpg DSCN6540.jpg DSCN6536.jpg

Default Re: 19' Banks Dory Started

Welcome aboard, good luck with your build.

Thank you, Sir. I will need it!

You won't need much luck, you have a terrific backup team at your disposal right here on the forum.

Thank you, Sir! Means a lot to me.

Looks like a nice place to build a boat. The beam is good thinking! Looking forward to your progress.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Looks like a nice place to build a boat. The beam is good thinking! Looking forward to your progress.

Mike

Sir, I appreciate your good comments.

One of eight frames for Jeff Spira's Alaskan dory, wet with 'Bora-Care,' a mildew & termiticide used in our area to protect construction lumber. It is water-soluble; hence, not for boats unless sealed. For that I will rely on epoxy. I assume that I 'over-did it' with the plywood gussets & half-lap joints & batten-seam layout. More afraid of lumber warping under the southern sun than anything else. I could have prevented warping just as well with temporary plumber's strapping, instead of battens!
    DSCN0879.jpg

That's going to be solid boat. Are you going to sail it? And you can always add the motor well later if it turns out to be a beast to row

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Thank you, Sir.

I hope to sail & row, both. The boat will be heavy. I dropped down to 3/8" marine ply to save some weight for rowing, and thinned down the frames a bit, too. The thinner plywood seemed to necessitate seam-battens; not sure if that is correct, but it's how I saw it. The battens & gussets have added back a fair amount of weight, so it's hard to say if I've wasted time or not in the attempt to "go light". I'll add a centerboard case. Jeff Spira specifies a sprit'sl rig with a small jib. She might prove handy. I certainly hope so. It's a lot of boat to row. The model pictured above is his original Alaskan, which I still like. It has been successful. The newer version is mostly the same boat but with a bit more rocker & sheer, a little less beam & freeboard. Surprisingly for a Banks dory, the new one resembles Pete Culler's 18 foot Swampscott in profile. He has an alternate motor-well version that I almost chose...but changed my mind. I've consulted John Gardner and others on the best way to keep a well-boat dry and reduce the sailing penalties...and could not find a satisfactory way to do it. For the time being, there will be no motor, and I will have to grow Pop-Eye arms.

Why is it that sailing a banks dory is always described as 'lively'? A rhetorical question

The Alaskan plans come complete with plans to construct an optional sprit sailing rig. This easily built rig features solid wood spars and rudder and makes for a lively sailing boat reminiscent of the sailing dories of centuries gone by
    The Alaskan plans come complete with plans to construct an optional sprit sailing rig. This easily built rig features solid wood spars and rudder and makes for a lively sailing boat reminiscent of the sailing dories of centuries gone by
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.