Thread: Trailer bunks above wheel guards?

Default Trailer bunks above wheel guards?

I have a narrow space to park my boat on its trailer.
    Since the boat is narrow (62 inches) and light (about 700 lb with outboard, battery, fuel tank and anchor),
    is it OK to raise the bunks on a new trailer with an overall width of 61 inches,
    so the the flat bottom of the boat is over the wheel guards?

Obviously the whole rig would be a little less stable than one with a wider wheel base,
    and launching would be slightly compromised.
    I launch only a few times a year, and drive no more than 100 miles to do so.

Default Re: Trailer bunks above wheel guards?

No problem. I've set up boats like this. You've pointed out the only downside -- the trailer has to be deeper in the water to float the boat on and off. BTW, those slippery plastic bunk covers work really well if you want to totally avoid sinking the trailer until the boat floats off. I found I could slide a 3,000 pound boat off and crank it back on once I installed them. The only depth requirement was to get the ends of the bunks under water.
    -Dave

Impressive. Do you need a big winch to drag 3000 pounds back onto the trailer?

Yes, but it's not as hard as you might expect.
    -Dave

My brother has a flat bottom boat with a very wide beam. He has the small diameter wide trailer tires so the boat sits over the fenders but still fairly low. His bunks are angled to be lower in rear with the plastic bunk covers and the rear is under water before his truck wheels touch the water. He launches every day as a commercial fisherman and backs up and hits the brakes to launch and the deckhand drives the boat onto the trailer. You don't want to put rear wheels of a tow vehicle in salt water especially with rear disc brakes with the crap park brake built into the rotor. Unless it is a least and you turn it over every three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunky Dory View Post
    My brother has a flat bottom boat with a very wide beam. He has the small diameter wide trailer tires so the boat sits over the fenders but still fairly low. His bunks are angled to be lower in rear with the plastic bunk covers and the rear is under water before his truck wheels touch the water. He launches every day as a commercial fisherman and backs up and hits the brakes to launch and the deckhand drives the boat onto the trailer. You don't want to put rear wheels of a tow vehicle in salt water especially with rear disc brakes with the crap park brake built into the rotor. Unless it is a least and you turn it over every three years.

Do you think driving on a slushy, salt -treated road is any worse for the brakes than a dip in the bay or ocean? Serious question, cause I think the road salt is at least as bad... maybe more since its being driven in.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

You have a good point and is why brake jobs are such a pain in the rust belt. But submerging has to be worse than driving on and splashing. The park brakes are in a drum but still get wet on slushy roads. I am fortunate that I work from home and try not to drive my truck when the roads are treated and for a 20 year old truck it has held up very well. I have drum brakes in the rear and feel they hold up better as the park brake is the regular brake and is constantly used. I have been in auto repair for 45 years and am not a fan of rear disc brakes due to the park brake that just falls apart when you try to remove rotors.

^ +1

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.