Thread: West Coast Scotland Boatbuilding Family

Default West Coast Scotland Boatbuilding Family

Years ago WB profiled a boatbuilding family on Scotland's west coast. In the story, a large sailboat being built had burnt to the ground and they had broadcast an invitation for volunteers to come help rebuild her in exchange for room and board. The response exceeded their expectations and the new vessel got built and launched. As I recollect, the experience was so positive for this boatbuilding family that they said they would do it again -- minus the boatburning part. In addition to boatbuilding, I believe they also ran a cruising/dive business from a classic schooner. I'll be traveling to Scotland and I had always thought I'd love to visit this boatyard if (1) they're still in business and (2) visitors are allowed. Does this story ring any bells for the WB Forum? I've been unable to find this article in the WB index and I'm hoping keener memories than mine will steer me right.

Default Re: West Coast Scotland Boatbuilding Family

I think you refer to Alan Robinson and his family. The boat is called Eda Frandsen, I do not think the Robinsons own it any more.Their property is at Doune on Knoydart east of Skye.The Robinsons have themselves retired, but I believe their business continues as a holiday destination
    Last edited by Jeremy Burnett; 06-12-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Yes. Quite right. That's the place and those are the folks. I'll be in Mallaig twice, for the ferry. I'll see whether the spirit moves me to take a side trip to Doune. Thanks so much, Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by prairielark View Post
    Yes. Quite right. That's the place and those are the folks. I'll be in Mallaig twice, for the ferry. I'll see whether the spirit moves me to take a side trip to Doune. Thanks so much, Jeremy.
    Mallaig has a good snug little harbor. They used to have a Lifeboats shop there, staffed by volunteers. Beautiful place.
    M/V Pokalong
    1973 Grand Banks 42